“Lovely friendly Hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
dorset
“Lovely friendly Hotel”
Reviewed 25 May 2012

My wife and I stayed while attending University for one night.Welcome by reception staff was very good.He told us everything that we needed to know from giving us a car park permit to room location and breakfast room location.Very friendly and chatty.Room was very clean and in very nice order,bathroom was very nice.Aircon in room was very welcome as weather was very hot.Single beds that were very comfy and were easy to push together to make a cosy double!
Breakfast served in nice room with friendly waitress service and could order anything for a cooked breakfast and everything else was laid out buffet style.Very impressed with the friendly staff and quality of room etc.The only thing I could mark them down was on the little green LED light that shone down from the ceiling in the bedroom at night.It was very bright and emitted a green glow in the room.Perhaps I am a too picky but my wife was not bothered by it!Overall I would stay here again without a second thought,If you want a nice hotel with easy access to universities and free parking and friendly staff choose this one!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Houston
Reviewed 24 May 2012

After 3 hours of bus ride from London Heathrow airport, I was thrilled to walk right into the hotel, which was half block away along side the park. With only 2 hrs of free time to tour Cambridge the first day, I was able to cover half of the place since the hotel is so conveniently located. For the next two days, I walked to all directions of Cambridge and enjoyed the town a lot. The hotel looks plain from outside, but is reasonably nice and modern inside. The glass lift gives a great view of the atrium in the middle. Room was of good size and comfortable. Breakfast was quite decent. Front desk staff were not there half of the time, but were pleasent when service you. Overall, the hotel is a good choice for a visit of Cambridge.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Gold Coast, Queensland,
Reviewed 22 May 2012

My wife and I stayed 2 nights and although room was small, it had been completely renovated and importantly the Bed was soft and comfortable. Only annoyance was no shower screen, which meant water splashed over bathroom floor. The Breakfast was excellent and the dining area had a nice ambience to it. The Breakfast choices were better than another and far more expensive 4 star Hotel we have since stayed at in Cambridge. The Gonville Best Western offers excellent value for money, in a central location . We would certainly stay here again in the future.

Room Tip: Quieter rooms at the back
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Despite the free and ample car park, I decided to take the train to Cambridge. With only an overnight bag and good weather, I decided to walk to the hotel from the station, which took about 15 minutes. The reception staff were friendly and efficient. The room was adequate. The public areas were attractive and spacious. I ate alone in the hotel in the evening. The service and food were quite satisfactory and the bar area made for a comfortable place to relax after my meal with a night-cap. I was pleasantly surprised by the quality of breakfast and would have been quite happy to spend more than one night at The Gonville.
If I had to justify why I said the hotel was 'very good' and not 'excellent', I would say the room was clean but not spotless, and the prices are as much as you would consider paying for what you received. That said, I would not hesitate to recommend the hotel to anybody wishing to visit Cambridge.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank EastEndAdam
Chippenham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2012

We were a bit surprised to find there was no bath just a shower. Our booking email had stated 'double bath'.I had issues with the air conditioning. The room was hot and stuffy so I left the AC set at 18 C to cool the room whilst we were out for dinner. Didn't happen! Everything turns off when you remove the key card from the slot by the door. Unfortunately I am a light sleeper and there was a lot of door banging and plumbing noises well past 2 am. So being too hot and having disturbances I did not sleep well. The breakfast offered a good variety and my only beef was with the lack of filter decaff coffee. Why do decaff drinkers always have to put up with instant. I never get this problem in 5 star hotels. However this was a reunion and our very large group was catered for admirably though we did not eat dinner at the hotel. The price was very reasonable indeed.

Room Tip: Avoid 127. It is opposite the stairs door so human traffic is a problem late at night.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
RwRoddie, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Good morning and thank you for your review which i have found very informative.

I was sorry to learn that we were not able to offer the Double room with Bath that you had requested. I gather that this was due to a Maintnenance issue with a couple of bedrooms with bath and they had to be withdrawn from use. Clearly somone should have advised you at the time . I do apologise on out behalf for not meeting your expectation in this respect.
The A/c controls were installed as we refurbished our bedrooms in order to save energy wastage, as we are all being encouraged to do.. We do however leave a power point live at all times for customers to be able to recharge thier phone/ computer batteries.
Your observation regarding Decaf coffee is well made and certainly it is not something i have considered in the past , so i am pleased to be able to tell you that in future it will be availble in a cafeteria form on request.
Finally I was gald to learn that you and your group enjoyed youe visit to cambridge and that you found our offering Good value.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future
Regards
Roderick A S Watson
Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 May 2012

A lovely boutique hotel slap bang in the middle of Cambridge. Our room was fabulous,exceptionally comfy bed,slipper bath and loads of fluffy towels and amazing view over the spires. The spa is reached by popping next door which was a bit annoying but the building is listed so can,t be knocked through..a small price to pay.
The staff couldnt have Ben more polite or helpful,will definitely be coming again soon.

Room Tip: Anything above 4 th floor
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Yeovil
Reviewed 12 May 2012

Being part of a large party can skew one's view of a hotel, but this one coped very well. Our room was huge, clean & well-furnished. The bed was probably the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever slept in! Breakfast, which we took in the conservatory, was very good. Dinner was also well presented,hot and when the menu item not suitable the very helpful staff found an appropriate alternative. Even another large group didn't throw the service.
I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: 2nd floor front, lovely view of Parkers' Piece. Some road noise but not enough to bother us.
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends