The Gonville Hotel
Doubletree
  • Room Service
The Lensfield(Cambridge)
US$202
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$152
US$148
HIExpress.com
US$246
US$239
Hilton
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$111
Agoda.com
US$208
US$202
  • Breakfast included
Travelodge Cambridge Orchard Park(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$53
Travelodge
Regent Hotel(Cambridge)
US$156
Official Site
  • Breakfast included
2,037 results
All reviewsfree parkingparker's piecewet roomcity centrelovely hotelcar parkwalk in showeron site parkingsuperior roomexcellent locationwithin easy walking distancethe air conditioningroom was largefew minutes walkvery pleasant stayvisit cambridgecooked breakfast
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stayed here for three nights in Oct/Nov 2013 in room 209.
First the positives:
Very good location – just 10 minutes walk from the centre of Cambridge and there is ample parking.
The room and shower-room were very clean and very nicely decorated – and there is a safe.
All the staff were friendly and helpful.
Breakfast – a reasonable selection of cereal and fruit. The hot breakfast was nicely cooked to order.
We did have dinner in the hotel on one night – it was very good, if a tad pricey – although we did have a complimentary bottle of wine – so can’t complain too much about the cost.

Now the negatives:
As the headline suggests we would recommend you take as little stuff with you as possible. There is only a one rack for coat-hangers and NO other storage space. We had to resort to keeping our clothes (shirts, blouses underwear etc) in our cases and which is not satisfactory. We just about survived because it was a short stay. How can someone design a hotel room with no storage? There was only one towel rail in the shower room.

We returned late (23:00) one evening and decided to have a drink in the bar. There were two staff in the bar, and it was not busy, but all the unoccupied tables had empty glasses and bottles on them. This is not the level of preparation we expected from such a hotel.

(All these points were raised with the hotel on their feedback form.)

Would we stay again: Yes for the location – but we wouldn’t take any luggage with us.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
COgston1, Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2013

Dear GOMCP

Firstly may I thank you for taking the time to leave your review and feedback form.

I was sorry to learn that you were not happy with your room due to the contemporary storage solution in place, I agree that this is not to everyone's taste and pleased to tell you that we are getting these replaced with a wardrobe in January.

If we had known this at the time we would have happily found you a more suitable room with wardrobe and drawers.

I was also sorry to see that the bar staff did not clear away the tables promptly as they should have, I understand that a large group staying with us had recently left the bar area however please know I will be taking this up with the F&B manager as it should have been dealt with straight away in order to create the right first impression.

On another note I am pleased that you found our staff to be friendly and helpful and our location to be very good and you enjoyed dining with us.

I hope that we will have another opportunity to serve you again were we will endeavour to exceed your expectations.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Unfortunately I only stayed one night but I thought it was a lovely hotel with friendly and helpful staff. The bed was so cosy and comfortable that I really had to force myself to get up. (late!!) Delicious and HUGE breakfast. Very nice room. No negatives at all.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Dear diberry

Thank you for taking the time to leave your great review, I was really pleased to see that you had a relaxing stay with us due to the fabulous quality mattress we take time in choosing.

Please know that I will be passing on your comments to the rest of my team who will also be delighted that you had a great stay with us.

Our Chefs in particular will be pleased you enjoyed the breakfast!

Hopefully you will have another chance to visit us again soon, maybe for a spot of Christmas shopping?!

Kind regards

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Sadly mother passed away and as a family we had to consider venues for a reception/wake post funeral mass. Hotel round corner from church. ideally situated and staff couldn't have been more helpful as we viewed & booked venue. On the day the hotel were superb and the finger buffet food was first class. Looked after very well on emotional day. Thank you

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family

Dear jostony,

We understand that at such a difficult time making arrangements such as these can be stressful and the last thing you need to worry about. It was an absolute pleasure to ensure everything went well for you on such an important day as this.

Thank you for taking the time to give us a great review.

Reviewed 2 November 2013

Location is great just a few blocks from the centre of town, and the free parking is a major asset and incentive to stay here as Cambridge is not car friendly!! Equally an easy walk from the train station.

The rooms are super comfortable and ours (212) was recently refurbished in a very modern black/chrome style that reminded me of a Mercure. Bathroom similarly modern. Everything was spotlessly clean. As many have said, there is no wardrobe just a rail with a few hangars.. not a big deal to us I think I preferred the slightly larger room the lack or wardrobe gives you. The breakfast is cooked to order, and you can tell the quality of ingredients was high although I felt it was all a little greasy. Service excellent in the restaurant.

So, many positives and a good stay. On the downside the hotel lacks any central communal lobby to sit and chat. There's a bar, but it's hidden away in the back with no real atmosphere and is rarely staffed. Reception service was polite but a bit inefficient. We tried to arrange a late checkout, and were phoned in the evening to confirm... only to be told at breakfast that actually they'd had a booking so we couldn't stay late after all. Well, ok you are a business but I do think once you've confirmed and we've made plans then it's a bit off to bump us.

Overall I'd recommend for a short stay. The overall experience was good and I think I git what I'd expect from a large chain hotel I.e. all the major bases covered but some issues on the personal service. The price, at 164 per night, was not what I'd call value for money but I think that kind of pricing is par for the course in Cambridge centre.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear cosmos292

Thank you for your review, I am pleased to tell you that we are in the process of ordering new Wardrobes which should be with us in January. I was also pleased to see that you had a great breakfast with us, I have passed on your comments with regards to it being a bit greasy as this is not what we want, however glad that you were happy with the high quality of the ingredients we feel this is the most important meal of the day.

We are also looking at refurbishing the ground floor area so this should provide a more central communal area.

Please accept my apologies for the way in which Reception dealt with your late check out this should not have been an issue and more training will be issued in this area to ensure that this is dealt with properly, ensuring our guests have an excellent stay is very important to us.