The Gonville Hotel
Centennial Hotel(Cambridge)
Tamburlaine(Cambridge)
  • Room Service
2,039 results
All reviewsfree parkingparker's piecewet roomcity centrelovely hotelcar parkwalk in showeron site parkingsuperior roomexcellent locationwithin easy walking distancethe air conditioningroom was largefew minutes walkvery pleasant stayvisit cambridgecooked breakfast
Reviewed 15 December 2013

The staff at the Gonville were very welcoming upon arrival. Our room was very modern but homely and had good air conditioning. The bathroom was also lush with a walk-in rain shower and fluffy white towels which could be changed daily if we so wished. We did not find the lack of wardrobes to be a problem, there are several coat hangers on a rail on the wall which were perfectly adequate for our 2 night stay.

At breakfast there is a buffet with cereal, fruit salad and croissants/pastries with the option to order a cooked breakfast.

The Gonville Hotel is the perfect location for exploring the city - a 10 minute walk to the centre which takes you past a variety of restaurants, so many that we were spoilt for choice! The free off-road parking was an added bonus.

We would recommend this hotel and would stay again!

Room Tip: Front facing rooms (such as 129) have a nice view of Gonville Place across the road
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
COgston1, Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Alex and Steffi x

Thank you for your recent review. I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will pass your comments onto our reception team – warm smiles and friendly service is something we are always encouraging our staff to do. We truly care about providing a pleasant and memorable experience to every guest and nothing gives us more pleasure to see this.

Our newly refurbished, air-conditioned bedrooms and well appointed bathrooms are designed to make our guests stay as comfortable as possible; and we are pleased to know that you found your accommodation homely and satisfying.

The hotel’s location is certainly very attractive and I understand you found the close proximity to the historic city and its attractions very appealing. I am also pleased you thought that our free car park facility was a bonus to your stay. Free car park is very rare in Cambridge and I feel this really adds a value to the hotel services.

Your feedback is much appreciated and we hope to welcome you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

What a shame. this is such a lovely hotel, fabulous location, excellent reception staff and the room we had was stunning and very comfortable. However, the breakfast experience was a disaster. On the second day of our stay we waited 45 minutes for our breakfast, our friend's came out 20 minutes before ours and her boiled eggs were hard and cold, with unbuttered soldiers, the soldiers were already cut which made it quite difficult to butter. Some organisation and management of the breakfast service would not go a miss. The waiting staff were inexperienced and with little or no direction. Come on Best Western you are a large hotel chain and such appalling service at breakfast time should not occur. This experience marred out stay.

Room Tip: We had room 220 a large room with a good view over parker's piece.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
COgston1, Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 December 2013

Dear Traci D,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, I was really disappointed and sorry to read your comments with regards to the Breakfast experience you received, I can assure you that this is not our usual high standard.

On the morning in question we did experience most of the residents come down to breakfast all at once which put a lot of pressure on both the restaurant and kitchen teams.

We obviously understand that most guests often come down later for a leisurely breakfast and we do try to accommodate this with extra staff however on this occasion we were caught out.

Please know that I will be discussing your comments with the Head Chef as well as the Food and Beverage manager to ensure further training is given where necessary.

I was pleased however that you found the reception team to be excellent and our newly refurbished bedrooms to be stunning, I hope that you were able to leave the car parked for the whole weekend and get to everywhere easily due to our great location.

I am sorry that I did not get the chance to meet you during your stay; however I hope that I will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon where I am sure you will experience our usual high standard.

Reviewed 13 December 2013

Reviewed 12 December 2013

Reviewed 9 December 2013

This hotel is by far the best 'Best Western' we have stayed in. The staff are friendly, helpful and very professional. Excellent location for Cambridge. Once you arrive, you can walk to the river, shops etc. without having to get in the car again. Would recommend this hotel to friends and family. We booked with our Tesco Vouchers, which if you want to do you have to book early because obviously the rooms go. The room we had this year had a walk in wardrobe which makes the room look even tidier, wish I could take the walk in wardrobe home!

1  Thank Greekaholics

Dear Greekaholics

Thank you for your 5 star review, my team and I were really happy to see your feedback and see that you decided to stay with us again when visiting Cambridge.

I was pleased that you found the staff friendly, helpful and very professional. This is something we are always encouraging them to be, so it is pleasing to see that this is being experienced by our valued guests such as yourselves.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon, however in the meantime have a great Christmas and New Year!

Kind regards,