“Comfortable night”

The Gonville Hotel
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 3 April 2014

We very much enjoyed the restaurant here, dinner was lovely and the breakfast was superb. We had a very comfortable nights sleep in a clean room, and the free parking was a bonus. Good location opposite the green so a nice walk into town. All in all - winner!

Room Tip: The lift is tiny - not a big issue but if you have children / prams, be aware
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for The Gonville Hotel

Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

The location of this hotel is great with parking included, it is only a 10min walk to the heart of the city. The rooms are really nice and quite big. It would be nice to have both a bath and shower rather than one or the other. We asked for a view of the park and this was provided which was great. The breakfast was lovely and they provided soya milk which was really appreciated. All staff were really friendly and helpful. My only issue is the cost, I think despite the many positives it is over priced, but this seems to be a theme in Cambridge. I would definitely stay again.

Stayed: April 2014
1  Thank travellingkit_12
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We stayed for the night over the weekend. Great location, a couple of minutes walk from the bars and restaurants. Parking is an absolute bonus. The greeting was friendly and our room was very clean and tidy. The breakfast was spot on, I would happily stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 March 2014

Dear Richard B,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, I was really pleased to see that you had a great stay with us over the weekend and everything including the breakfast was to our normal high standard.

Please know I will be passing on your feedback to the rest of the team who will also be very pleased.

I hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back soon.

Thanks again,

Kind regards

Reviewed 28 March 2014

This was one of the best hotel experiences we've had. The room was spacious, well decorated, very clean and comfortable. From the reception, to the restaurant and the housekeeping team, the staff were helpful and courteous with a genuine friendliness. There was an excellent cooked breakfast available and also a buffet option with lots of choice. The hotel provides free parking, which is at a premium in Cambridge. It is within easy walking distance of all amenities and sites. At the time of our visit (March 2014) the pictures on the website didn't do the hotel justice which seemed to have been recently decorated throughout. We look forward to returning.

Dear Craig R

Thank you so much for your 5 star review, we are delighted to hear that we were one of the best hotel experiences you had.

Please know I will be passing on your feedback to the rest of the team who will also be really pleased that you had a great stay.

I am also pleased that you found the cooked breakfast to be excellent and our buffet selection to offer plenty of choice.

We very much look forward to welcoming you back on your return to Cambridge - remember great savings can be made when booking direct!

Thanks again

Kind regards,

Reviewed 26 March 2014

some staff had difficulty understanding order, or what was requested especially at night. overall stay lovely so close to town, found the heating esepcially working the fan had to remove card from door to switch the sound off at night, but lovely hotel, lovely staff

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 March 2014

Dear Gareth0502

Thank you for your 5 star review following your recent visit to the Gonville Hotel.

I was sorry to see that initially we didn’t understand your request, please know that I will be taking this up with my team to ensure that we handle this better in future.

I am pleased however to see that this did not affect your stay and you were able to enjoy the beautiful sights of Cambridge given that we are so close to the centre.

I hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon.

Kind regards

Reviewed 22 March 2014

I arranged a trustees meeting here, which required accommodation, meeting rooms and an evening reception. Everything was done with the utmost care and attention - the staff were really friendly and courteous (even the housekeeping staff ALL said good morning to me) but never in your face and always discreet - like I said everything a hotel should be. The room was immaculate, spacious and they even come in turn the sheets, organise the day cushions etc. at night. Great location and although at the higher end of the pricing scale, reasonable value given the exceptional location in central Cambridge. Would not hesitate to use this place again for business or pleasure.

Room Tip: From what I can gather the rooms are of a pretty consistent high standard.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank phil J
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear Phil J

Firstly may I thank you for your 5 star review, my team and I are delighted to see your high score and feedback.

It was a real pleasure to have your trustees meeting here and we are really pleased we helped may it a success!

Providing excellent service is something we spend a lot of time training and developing the team to do and it is always nice to hear back when this is followed through.

I will also be passing on your comments with regards to the room being immaculate and I am glad you found it to be spacious as well as having a great central location.

I hope that I will have another opportunity to welcome you back to the Gonville Hotel soon.

Thanks again,