“Great Hotel in Ideal location for visiting Cambridge.”
Review of The Gonville Hotel

The Gonville Hotel
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I had a very pleasant weekend stay at the Gonville Hotel. My room was very comfortable & clean with a great view of the park. The staff were very friendly,professional & helpful. Breakfast & Dinner were both very tasty meals with the food being well presented. Yes there is some refurbishment going on which was explained to me on my arrival, but it didn't spoil my stay in any way. It's as much of an inconvenience to the Management & staff I'm sure as it is to the guests. I have no complaints about my stay whatsoever & will be returning.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 May 2014

Dear Paul R

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review and for your understanding.

Having previously worked in some well known prestigious hotel chains, I know first hand that it is not always easy to implement guest suggestions or feedback.

Which is why it is really rewarding to work in a family owned hotel that allows us to listen to our guests and make improvements that add to the overall guest experience.

At the moment we are tackling the reception area that looked old and out dated to make it look contemporary and fresh, because now that we have completed the bedroom refurbishment we really want to add to our guest’s first and last impression.

Apart from using a different reception area the inconvenience is really kept to a minimum and does not affect any of the bedrooms. I am pleased to say that it will be completed soon and will really add the wow factor!

I hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back and you will see the improvements made was really worth doing.

Thank you again for your understanding I am pleased it did not spoil your stay in any way.

Kind regards

Christopher Ogston

Write a ReviewReviews (1,882)

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I booked the hotel well in advance, but when I arrived there were building works going on, which I don't remember being warned of beforehand. Mostly this meant the layout was very odd - having to walk through the restaurant to get to the bedrooms, with paper signs directing the way etc.

Most importantly for me there was a temporary ramp leading into the building - I'm disabled so this matters and I would've preferred advance warning.

Breakfast was very busy and service very slow.

The staff were very impressive, very friendly and helpful. The bed was comfortable. It is clearly a beautiful, high quality hotel and will be lovely when completed, but having paid £188 for B&B, I would've chosen differently if I'd known about the minor inconveniences.

Room Tip: Good hotel, probably brilliant when not being refurbished!

Dear Wilma1977

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review, I was pleased to see that you found the hotel staff to be very impressive and helpful, and the benefit of the improvements we are making will have on the hotel.

This is really exciting for us becuase this will connect the recently refurbished bedrooms with the public areas; however it was important for us to complete the bedrooms first before areas such as the Atrium and Reception area.

Now that the Atrium is complete this has made such a difference to the feel of the hotel and I am sure when reception is finished too will also really add to the guest experience.

I am sorry that you did not feel you were warned beforehand, we have tried to contact all of our guests and have also put notices up on our website and third part websites also to give warning that things are temporarily not as usual.

Please email me on gm@gonvillehotel.co.uk and let me know next time you are planning on visiting and we will ensure you are well looked after.

I am aware that we have had a couple of issues with Breakfast service recently and I am pleased to tell you that I am taking steps to rectify this.

Kind regards

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Beware as there is a major refurbishment going on and even the sections of the hotel that 'are not impacted'... they are. There is an overall feeling of dust everywhere. The lift area is like a building site, with cardboard and masking tape everywhere. The entrance is most unappealing - a bit like arriving at an old office building. For £170 it is not worth it at all. The experience was so disappointing that we checked out before wasting our life in a place that is so depressing. Amazing that the room fees remained the same. There are plenty of B&B's - even the Doubletree or Cambridge City Hotel are worth considering before shelling out for a room here. Also the rooms are so tiny and the furnishings tired there is no sense of freshness/cleanliness. Very disheartening experience. Never will grace these steps again... shocking.

Room Tip: Select a room at another hotel
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Dear NikkiEssexEngland

Firstly thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

I was really disappointed to see that you had such a poor experience with us due to the improvements we are making with our current reception area, especially as we have taken every opportunity to ensure any inconvenience caused is kept to an absolute minimum.

We have also kept this in mind when setting the prices and looking at what other hotels charge for double occupancy, full English breakfast, on site parking and hi speed wifi feel that this represents great value.

I agree that the temporary set up is not ideal however with the location of reception this makes it difficult to navigate around however we have found that most of our guests have been very understanding about this.

I was also sorry and a bit surprised that you didn’t tell us about your disappointment before you left? This would have enabled us to put this right for you and explain the positive changes we are making.

I am pleased to say however that the reception area will soon be complete and will really look amazing, adding to our guests overall experience. Not only have we refurbished all of our bedrooms, we have also recently completed our Atrium restaurant and soon reception, all of which has been implemented following our guests feedback.

Reviewed 16 May 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2014

Reviewed 13 May 2014

We found this hotel to be excellent on a 3-night stay, with free parking thrown-in and just a short walk to the city centre. The staff were excellent, welcoming, friendly and attentive to our needs. Breakfast was good with a fair range of cold and hot options, the latter being prepared to order, so freshly cooked. We had a couple of pre-arranged group dinners and these were excellent too, and with good, but not intrusive, service. Possibly their wines did not quite match-up to the standard of their food, but they were passable. Our room and ensuite were both large, quiet (at the side, but rooms at the front may be more noisy) and the bed very comfortable, so we will definitely return here on a future visit.

Room Tip: Rear and side rooms are the quietest

Dear tripbayliff,

Thank you for your great review, we are so pleased that your 3 night stay with us was excellent and you found the free parking to be of value! Many other hotels charge as much as £24.50 per night for this which we feel is unreasonable.

I was also pleased that you found my team to be welcoming, friendly and attentive. This is something we are always encouraging them to do in our focus to be the hotel of choice in Cambridge.

Thank you for your feedback with regards to our wines, this is something we will be taking up with our supplier, it is a shame that you did not get to try our award winning Tour De Belfort during your stay as this would have certainly impressed you, let me know next time you stay and I will ensure you get to try some.

Thank you again for taking the time and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 11 May 2014

The Gonville hotel is located in a quiet neighborhood in walking distance to Cambridge city center. The room was of medium-size, quiet during night, modern and clean, and the beds were comfortable. The air conditioning worked fine and the temerature was easy to control. The breakfast was good with both cold and hot dishes. The only things to complain about were the shower since the whole bathroom got flooded when you took a shower and the (complimentary) WiFi where the signal strength was a bit weak in the room. The staff was very nice and helpful. At this cost the hotel is good value for money and highly recommended.

Dear SwedenSkibum,

Thank you for taking the time to review our Hotel.

We were delighted to learn that you found us to be a very nice hotel well located to the city centre and the rooms to be quite and of a good size and clean.

We have not long refurbished our bedrooms and as part of this included some wet rooms, so it does appear to flood the bathroom however with the clever design of the floor tiles this is quickly drained away. I am also pleased to say that as part of our investment in the hotel we also refurbished some of the more traditional style rooms which have the normal bathrooms.

We did have a glitch with regards to the wifi due to the work we are currying out currently in reception, please accept my apologies for this affecting you, this is now back to our usually high speed.

I am pleased that you found us to be of good value and I hope that on your return to Cambridge you will decided to stay with us again.

Remember when booking direct that’s when the best savings can be made!

Reviewed 11 May 2014

In the run up to the wedding the staff were so helpful and efficient , and on the day everyone worked so hard and were so accomodating, everything went like clockwork. It really did surpass our expectation and our guests complimented us on what a tasteful event it had been. The hotel garden was great for photos (although a few more annuals wouldn't go amiss) and the sit down wedding breakfast for 30 was delicious and expertly served. Wonderful!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Natalie I,

We are delighted that your Wedding Reception was perfect!

It is so important for us to get such an important day right for you and ensure that you have positive memories of the best day of your lives.

Thank you for your feedback with regards to the Garden this is something we have already started work on and will soon be looking more fabulous.

I hope that we will get another chance to welcome you back to the hotel soon for another great stay.

Thanks again