“Nice location.”

GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Nice location.”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

Spent a very nice weekend at the Gonville Hotel at the beginning of May.The room was comfortable and clean with a nice view overlooking the park.Despite being on the main road there was very little traffic noise.Food in the restaurant was very nice .Staff were very friendly and helpful.Location of the hotel is excellent as the city centre is a short stroll away.Although there was major refurbishment going on this was not a problem.I have no complaints regarding my stay and will use this hotel when I visit Cambridge again.

Dear PeteH27,

Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay.

Needless to say, I was thrilled to read your glowing 5* review, and learn that your time with us was so enjoyable, including dining in our newly refurbished Atrium restaurant with the new delicious menu. I shall pass your kind comments onto my team and our Head Chef.

I am delighted to know that there were so many positive aspects to your stay, and that our team were able to contribute to a memorable experience for you.
I am pleased to read that our contemporary, air-conditioned bedroom overlooking the park suited your requirements. All our accommodation and the bathrooms are designed to make the stay as comfortable as possible; therefore it is a pleasure to receive your much appreciated comments.

I was happy to learn that our recent reception refurbishment did not affect your stay.
Apart from using a different reception area the inconvenience is kept to a minimum and does not affect any of the public areas and guest bedrooms. I am pleased to say that it will be completed on 12th June and will really add a luxurious feel to our hotel.

I do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Best Western Plus The Gonville Hotel, for another wonderful stay.

Anna Russell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (385)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
nr crewe
Reviewed 28 May 2014

I enjoyed my stay at the Gonville hotel 23rd 24th May. The hotel staff were courteous and helpful and everything was good. The hotel is situated close to the city centre and it is a pleasant walk. We dined in Browns in the city centre...a turkish restaurant and an Italian and everything was good. Kings college chapel was open and we had a trip around the chapel. We had lunch at the Copper Kettle and they serve and authentic greek Mezza.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank carol h
Dear Carol H

Thank you for leaving your feedback on this website, following your most recent visit to The Best Western Plus The Gonville Hotel.

It is a genuine pleasure for me to read about our guests experiences with us, particularly when each and every one is so memorable. I am delighted that your visits exceed your expectations, for both your stay at our property and sightseeing beautiful Cambridge. We are so fortunate to be located within a walking distance form the historic city centre!

I do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel, for another wonderful stay.

Grays Thurrock, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2014

We have used this hotel twice for bed and breakfast to visit our son who is studying at Cambridge. We have had two very good stays. Comfortable, clean rooms with all that we needed . Building work was being done but it did not bother us. Staff were helpful and professional. There was lots of choice for breakfast, in fact with so much choice it was hard to decide what to have! It is only a few minutes walk to the centre of Cambridge and to have parking included is a real bonus as it is very expensive to park in Cambridge. We will definitely stay here again.

1 Thank Mags114
Dear Mags114,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us on Trip Advisor.

I was absolutely delighted to read about your fantastic experience at our hotel, and thrilled to learn that our team really made your time with us so comfortable. I am pleased that your time with us was seamless, and every expectation was exceeded.

It is a genuine pleasure for me to read that you have enjoyed our freshly cooked to order breakfast and also our varied continental option. I will share your comments with our restaurant and kitchen teams. I am thrilled that we have become your home away from home whilst visiting your son in Cambridge.

As stated in your feedback, our free of charge car-park adds a value to the guests stay and indeed it is so rare in Cambridge these days.

I do hope that we will all soon have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Best Western Plus The Gonville Hotel, for another superb stay.

Lincoln, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I had a very pleasant weekend stay at the Gonville Hotel. My room was very comfortable & clean with a great view of the park. The staff were very friendly,professional & helpful. Breakfast & Dinner were both very tasty meals with the food being well presented. Yes there is some refurbishment going on which was explained to me on my arrival, but it didn't spoil my stay in any way. It's as much of an inconvenience to the Management & staff I'm sure as it is to the guests. I have no complaints about my stay whatsoever & will be returning.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear Paul R

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review and for your understanding.

Having previously worked in some well known prestigious hotel chains, I know first hand that it is not always easy to implement guest suggestions or feedback.

Which is why it is really rewarding to work in a family owned hotel that allows us to listen to our guests and make improvements that add to the overall guest experience.

At the moment we are tackling the reception area that looked old and out dated to make it look contemporary and fresh, because now that we have completed the bedroom refurbishment we really want to add to our guest’s first and last impression.

Apart from using a different reception area the inconvenience is really kept to a minimum and does not affect any of the bedrooms. I am pleased to say that it will be completed soon and will really add the wow factor!

I hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back and you will see the improvements made was really worth doing.

Thank you again for your understanding I am pleased it did not spoil your stay in any way.

Kind regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 May 2014

I booked the hotel well in advance, but when I arrived there were building works going on, which I don't remember being warned of beforehand. Mostly this meant the layout was very odd - having to walk through the restaurant to get to the bedrooms, with paper signs directing the way etc.

Most importantly for me there was a temporary ramp leading into the building - I'm disabled so this matters and I would've preferred advance warning.

Breakfast was very busy and service very slow.

The staff were very impressive, very friendly and helpful. The bed was comfortable. It is clearly a beautiful, high quality hotel and will be lovely when completed, but having paid £188 for B&B, I would've chosen differently if I'd known about the minor inconveniences.

Room Tip: Good hotel, probably brilliant when not being refurbished!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Wilma1977

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your review, I was pleased to see that you found the hotel staff to be very impressive and helpful, and the benefit of the improvements we are making will have on the hotel.

This is really exciting for us becuase this will connect the recently refurbished bedrooms with the public areas; however it was important for us to complete the bedrooms first before areas such as the Atrium and Reception area.

Now that the Atrium is complete this has made such a difference to the feel of the hotel and I am sure when reception is finished too will also really add to the guest experience.

I am sorry that you did not feel you were warned beforehand, we have tried to contact all of our guests and have also put notices up on our website and third part websites also to give warning that things are temporarily not as usual.

Please email me on gm@gonvillehotel.co.uk and let me know next time you are planning on visiting and we will ensure you are well looked after.

I am aware that we have had a couple of issues with Breakfast service recently and I am pleased to tell you that I am taking steps to rectify this.

Kind regards

United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2014

Beware as there is a major refurbishment going on and even the sections of the hotel that 'are not impacted'... they are. There is an overall feeling of dust everywhere. The lift area is like a building site, with cardboard and masking tape everywhere. The entrance is most unappealing - a bit like arriving at an old office building. For £170 it is not worth it at all. The experience was so disappointing that we checked out before wasting our life in a place that is so depressing. Amazing that the room fees remained the same. There are plenty of B&B's - even the Doubletree or Cambridge City Hotel are worth considering before shelling out for a room here. Also the rooms are so tiny and the furnishings tired there is no sense of freshness/cleanliness. Very disheartening experience. Never will grace these steps again... shocking.

Room Tip: Select a room at another hotel
Dear NikkiEssexEngland

Firstly thank you for taking the time to leave your review.

I was really disappointed to see that you had such a poor experience with us due to the improvements we are making with our current reception area, especially as we have taken every opportunity to ensure any inconvenience caused is kept to an absolute minimum.

We have also kept this in mind when setting the prices and looking at what other hotels charge for double occupancy, full English breakfast, on site parking and hi speed wifi feel that this represents great value.

I agree that the temporary set up is not ideal however with the location of reception this makes it difficult to navigate around however we have found that most of our guests have been very understanding about this.

I was also sorry and a bit surprised that you didn’t tell us about your disappointment before you left? This would have enabled us to put this right for you and explain the positive changes we are making.

I am pleased to say however that the reception area will soon be complete and will really look amazing, adding to our guests overall experience. Not only have we refurbished all of our bedrooms, we have also recently completed our Atrium restaurant and soon reception, all of which has been implemented following our guests feedback.