“Sightseeing trip”
Review of The Gonville Hotel

The Gonville Hotel
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (390)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
lancashire
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Hotel is in a great location , within easy walking distance of the centre of Cambridge, our room had just been decorated and was of a good standard, we had French doors in our room and as it was a lovely sunny day was great to sit there watching everyone go by. Breakfast was good and plenty to eat.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 June 2014

Advertised as a Best Western Plus, it may be trying to move into the Boutique arena, however it isn't there. The rooms are nice with good air conditioning, small but up to date bathrooms. The location is in walking distance to the colleges and the wonderful Fitzwilliam Art Museum. Breakfast is included and is pretty good. The dinner menu is limited and not well prepared. Hotel doesn't have enough housekeepers, as our room was still not cleaned by 3:30 pm. Staff all seemed inexperienced. Overall reasonable, but not special.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
Dear Susan F

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, I am sorry that we did not exceed your expectations with regards to the dinner service you experienced or the staff you encountered.

Please note that steps have been taken with the Head Chef and I am pleased to say that the dinner menu is no longer an issue.

With regards to the housekeeping it is not a case of not having enough staff members, we focus on arrivals first to ensure these are ready in time. It’s not often an issue however as I am sure you can understand on the odd occasion some guests don’t leave on time when we are full, so turning the rooms round can get a bit delayed.

If this was an issue and we had known, every endeavour would have been made to ensure your room next.

I hope that this did not spoil your stay and that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back and show you just how good we really are.

Thanks again

Kind regards

Christopher Ogston
Buckingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2014

The hotel is undergoing refurbishment so it's not at its best. I stayed in a modernised double room, with (small) wet room shower in early June.

Room was very clean, bed very comfortable, with quiet, decent air-conditioning and proper blackout blinds/curtains which meant I slept really well. Room had safe, good hairdryer and small wardrobe. I suspect a couple would find it cramped if it was for more than a night or two. The hotel had wifi, but I couldn't get it to work. In the room I was in, the signal seemed to be only by the door. The shower room is very compact - like a Paris hotel...

Free car-parking, centrally located, helpful staff. I didn't eat there (when are hotels going to stop charging £9.99 for breakfast, if you only want a bowl of cereal and a coffee...)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
Shropshire
Reviewed 6 June 2014 via mobile

I stay here a lot. Bit pricey but comparable for cambridge. Easy walk into town wtc.

Rooms : I've stayed in lots of them and all of very high standard. Cannot find fault at al. Very clean - new following refurb

Bar: always quiet. The bar food is good. Finding staff sometimes a problem.

Restaurant: food good. Breakfast is continental with all else cooked to order. Could be quicker with the coffee but this really is minor. It's all good

Reception. Being refurbished but temp one works well

Staff: excellent. Pleasant, polite n helpful

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank sapbloke
ARussell1, Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, 8 June 2014
Dear Sapbloke,

Thank you for reviewing your most recent stay with us on this site.

As a return guest of our hotel, I was so pleased to read your 5* review!

Firstly, our Atrium Restaurant and Bar cater for all tastes, and I am delighted that all the food you enjoyed was of such a good standard. I am also thrilled to read that you always enjoy the comfort of our contemporary, air-conditioned bedrooms. It is a pleasure to receive your much appreciated comments.

I was happy to learn that our recent reception refurbishment did not affect your stay.
Apart from using a different reception area the inconvenience is kept to a minimum and does not affect any of guest bedrooms. I am pleased to say that it will be completed on 12th June and will really add a luxurious feel.

It is a pleasure to receive such complimentary comments on our breakfast, consisting of a continental option and freshly cooked to order full English breakfast. Regarding a slow service mentioned in your feedback, I shall pass this onto my Food Service Manager, who will be able to investigate this matter in order to correct this occurrence. Please accept my apologies for this.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Best Western Plus the Gonville Hotel soon.

Kind Regards,

Anna Russell
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed 2 June 2014

We stayed overnight at the Gonville on 31/5/14. Firstly let me say I made the booking by phone and that was excellent. The girl was friendly and helpful...asked if we were members of Best Western. We weren't but she explained she could join us up which meant we would get an upgrade on arrival if one was available. We arrived at about 11am knowing a room wouldn't be available until 2pm. Normally you can check in and leave your bags however the girl we were dealing with wouldn't do that and told us we could put our bags back in the car and then said "you can go now". Fortunatelly other girl intervened and said she could take the bags and have them in our room when we returned. She also gave us a sticker for the car. I realise Reception is undergoing refurbishment but that is no excuse for bad customer service and unfortunately affected our perception of the Hotel. When we actually checked in we got someone else and that went smoothly. On the plus side the rooms are new and clean. We did have a problem with the Air Con at 10 o'clock at night and the night manager agreed it was too noisy to sleep with and moved us to a superior room which then prompted the question about if that was available why weren't we offered an upgrade...the answer was it would only be a better room that would be offered...my husband suggested that it smacked of misrepresentation. So all in all a great location ,free parking, complete refurbishment and a good Breakfast and reasonably good service all let down by the most important person... the girl on reception.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Kerryn M
ARussell1, Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear Kerryn M,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel on this website.

I was naturally extremely disappointed to learn that your stay with us did not meet your expectations, and I am so sorry that on this occasion we were unable to create the memorable stay for you that we would have hoped for. Please do accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Whilst I was pleased to read that you found our bedrooms convenient, and indeed that you experienced a high standard of customer service while making your reservation and on your check out, I was sorry to read that you felt let down by the shortfalls in service when you checked in. I can only apologise for the unpleasant occurrence, however I do feel confident that it will not happen again to you or any other future guests. I have now ensured that the relevant department manager conducted a more through investigation in the reception area, following your helpful comments.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed our varied continental and freshly cooked to order breakfast and that the refurbishment programme did not spoil your stay. I am pleased to say that it will be completed on 12th June.
I look forward to welcoming you to the hotel again, when we can turn this negative experience into a positive one.

Kind Regards,