“Does what it says on the tin”
Review of The Gonville Hotel

The Gonville Hotel
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
St Leonards on Sea
“Does what it says on the tin”
Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have just spent a great weekend exploring Cambridge and stayed at the Gonville for two nights. It was a good little hotel. Clean, comfortable, good attentive staff and within easy walking distance of the town centre. Comfortable bar and hearty breakfast... what more could you ask for.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank baillwords
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2014
Dear baillwords,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

It is so important to us to deliver our promise and I am pleased that every aspect of the hotel delivered to make your stay a great one.

We hope that next time you explore the beautiful city of Cambridge you will choose to stay with us again.

Remember when booking direct that’s when great savings can be made!

Thanks again,

Kind Regards,

Christopher Ogston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (391)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Recife, PE
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We were for 2 days at the hotel and everything worked very well, A convenient location and a very profetional and polite staff.

Our congratulation to Verónica Galindo, a recepcionist that gave us a very special attention, explaining with patience and knowledge, everything about the hotel and the city. An authentic touristic guide! Oh! She speaks english, spanish, portuguese and catalán.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
ARussell1, Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Marcos S,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us on Trip Advisor. What a wonderful feedback!

I was absolutely delighted to read about your fantastic experience at our hotel, and thrilled to learn that our team, especially Veronica, really made your time with us so comfortable. I am pleased that your time with us was seamless, and every expectation was exceeded.

It is a genuine pleasure for me to read that you have enjoyed your break in Cambridge and Veronica was so excellent at explaining what our beautiful city has to offer. She is indeed very passionate about hospitality and always helpful and professional to all our guests. She is a real gem of the Gonville hotel.

I do hope that we will soon have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Best Western Plus The Gonville Hotel, for another superb stay.

Lewes
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel whilst visiting the Cambridge Festival, parking was plentiful at the hotel, check in was quick and easy. Our room was rather dark as the only small window was in the corner of the room. This didn't matter as we didn't spend much time in the room. The quality of the bathroom was better than in some higher rated hotels. The bed was the most comfy I have experienced. The service in the breakfast room was quick and efficient. The hotel is central and shops and restaurants are within easy walking distance.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear Crooks,

Thank you for your complimentary review. We are happy that you enjoyed our very privileged location just short stroll from many local Cambridge attractions and colleges. I am also pleased you thought that our free car park facility was a bonus to your stay. Free car park is very rare in Cambridge and I feel this really adds a value to the hotel services.

Whilst I was delighted to learn that the bed in your room was very comfortable, I was disappointed to learn that the lighting levels in the room and a small window did not meet your expectations. The hotel has got a variety of bedrooms and have we known your requirement I am positive we would have tried to accommodate your need.
Here at the Gonville we strive to achieve service anticipation and excellence, therefore please do not hesitate to let us know your preferences during your future stays.

I was thrilled to learn that you found the breakfast service and the staff professional and efficient. Our team works hard to ensure every stay is memorable, and it is a genuine pleasure for me to read about the wonderful time they are creating for our guests.

I do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Best Western Plus The Gonville Hotel.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2014

A three night stay in a very attractive hotel just out of the city centre in Cambridge. Exceptionally well presented and spotlessly clean throughout. Room was large and very comfortable. However two issues spoilt this visit – the bedroom window would not remain open (vertical sash). My first request for repair was ignored. The second prompted an unsuccessful repair. I propped the window open with a bottle! - no point in a window if it wont open during beautiful summer weather. Second problem was breakfast – lovely restaurant however the cooked breakfast was always slightly undercooked and invariably coldish when served. The restaurant manageress was over officious and this deteriorated into plain rudeness at times. Surely reading the paper at breakfast is not that big a crime!!
Foe the price his hotel is great value – just need to brush up on the service aspect.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Dear gms555,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel on Trip Advisor.

I was naturally extremely disappointed to learn that your stay with us did not meet your expectations, and I am so sorry that on this occasion we were unable to create the memorable stay for you that we would have hoped for. Please do accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Whilst I was pleased to read that you found our central location very convenient, the standards of our residential bedrooms comfortable and that our newly refurbished restaurant décor was very appealing, I was sorry to learn that the service was not attentive. I am currently investigating this matter and please stay assured that we will learn from your experience. Please accept my sincere apologies for this and for the breakfast being served slightly cold each morning of your stay. I was disappointed to read the feedback as this is not our usual high standard that we are known for. The bedroom window has been already dealt with by our maintenance department and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I hope that this did not spoil your entire stay and that I will be able to have an opportunity of meeting you in person on your return visit to Cambridge.

Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Stayed here one night but what a find it was from checking in to checking out the whole experience was a pure pleasure reception staff where so polite to the cleaners also polite the room was immaculate and the bed was turned down while we were out at the races and a chocolate left with a note how lovely was this . The atrium for breakfast was a pure delight so much to choose from and the cooked breakfast was piping hot the staff very polite as well in fact nothing was too much trouble for any of them a pure delight will be back for a longer stay

Room Tip: We stayed on 2 nd floor never heard a sound
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Dear 1964mandy48,

Thank you for taking the time to post such a wonderful 5* review following your recent stay with us.

I am delighted to hear that your break was such a success including attending the races and staying at our hotel. The Gonville is a beautifully refurbished property with a team of highly motivated people who want to make sure that you have a memorable time and I am delighted that you appreciated this. I was thrilled to learn that you found the hotel so luxurious!

I am very pleased that you enjoyed our freshly cooked to order breakfast and thought it was beyond wonderful and I am also pleased that you found your room comfortable and well appointed. Turn down service certainly adds a great touch to our guest’s experience. It is so reassuring to hear that you thought everything was excellent and you were taken back with the service. I have passed your kind feedback to all the team.

I do hope that we will soon have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Best Western Plus The Gonville Hotel, for another outstanding and luxurious stay.

Carson City, Nevada
Reviewed 2 August 2014

This was a great stay. Large room for three people, very clean, very customer oriented. Good breakfast and very convenient location. Stayed here twice within three weeks. It was a very nice time. Recommend it to friends

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Bev M
Dear Bev M,

Thank you for reviewing your most recent stay with us on this site.

As a return guest of our hotel, I was so pleased to read your 5* review and learn that your time with us was so enjoyable, including delicious breakfast served at our newly refurbished Atrium restaurant.

I am delighted to know that there were so many positive aspects to your stay including
our spotlessly clean, contemporary, air-conditioned bedroom. All our accommodation and the bathrooms are designed to make the stay as comfortable as possible; therefore it is a pleasure to receive your much appreciated comments.

I would certainly agree the location of our hotel is wonderful. Just short stroll away from major Cambridge attractions, shopping centre and all the colleges.

I do hope that we will soon have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Best Western Plus The Gonville Hotel, for another outstanding stay.

Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2014

stayed for 2 nights in july , staff on arrival were very helpful telling us about restaurant .(We had a very nice meal there on our first night).room was very spacious and comfortable. breakfast was really nice plenty of choice and all very good quality produce. again the staff were very helpful and friendly. excellant hotel would definately recommend staying here and will come back if in area!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear karen r

Thank you so much for your recent review of our property, we were so pleased to see that you had a great stay with us and found the hotel to be excellent.

Nothing gives us more pleasure than to see our guests have a lovely stay.

I hope that we will have another opportunity to serve you again.

Kind regards