“Very nice stay in Cambridge”
Review of The Gonville Hotel

The Gonville Hotel
Ranked #2 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 8 August 2014

Just got back from a visit to Cambridge and had a very comfortable stay at this hotel. The hotel is across the street from a large park and is within a ten minute walk from the center of the town. The hotel is very clean, the staff are very friendly and the rooms are about mid size for the price. We would stay again if we visit Cambridge in the future.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that overlooks the park.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 11 August 2014

Dear GJKAnchorageAK

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, we were so pleased to see that you had a great stay with us and found the hotel to be comfortable and my team friendly.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Thanks again

Kind regards,

Christopher Ogston

Write a ReviewReviews (1,881)

Reviewed 6 August 2014

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2014

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed for 2 nights over a weekend. Our room was fine, but had a very small bath - neither myself nor my husband are tall but we could nor sit comfortably in it. They could have got away with this if there was a shower over the bath, but as there wasn't we were condemned to squashed baths. The staff were excellent, both on reception and at breakfast, but on Sunday morning they were woefully understaffed at breakfast. The food was good, however.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2014

Dear Mandy m

Thank you for taking the time to leave your review, this is very much appreciated.

I was sorry to learn that you found your bathroom to be on the small side, given the age of the building and character, there is one or two rooms out of 84 that suffer from a slightly smaller bathroom, however I am pleased to say that most rooms offer a generous space.

If only we had known this was not to your liking every effort would have been made to turn this around for you into a positive and it would have been our pleasure to have found you a more suitable sized room.

Please accept my apologies for the breakfast on Sunday morning unfortunately due to staff sickness we were a little short (not something that happens often I am pleased to say) and trying to recover this on a Sunday morning can be somewhat of a challenge, however I am pleased that the quality of your breakfast did not suffer.

If you do decide to stay in Cambridge again please feel free to contact me on gm@gonvillehotel.co.uk and I will make sure you get one of our best rooms.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We have just spent a great weekend exploring Cambridge and stayed at the Gonville for two nights. It was a good little hotel. Clean, comfortable, good attentive staff and within easy walking distance of the town centre. Comfortable bar and hearty breakfast... what more could you ask for.

1  Thank baillwords

Dear baillwords,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us.

It is so important to us to deliver our promise and I am pleased that every aspect of the hotel delivered to make your stay a great one.

We hope that next time you explore the beautiful city of Cambridge you will choose to stay with us again.

Remember when booking direct that’s when great savings can be made!

Thanks again,

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 4 August 2014

We were for 2 days at the hotel and everything worked very well, A convenient location and a very profetional and polite staff.

Our congratulation to Verónica Galindo, a recepcionist that gave us a very special attention, explaining with patience and knowledge, everything about the hotel and the city. An authentic touristic guide! Oh! She speaks english, spanish, portuguese and catalán.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
ARussell1, Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Dear Marcos S,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us on Trip Advisor. What a wonderful feedback!

I was absolutely delighted to read about your fantastic experience at our hotel, and thrilled to learn that our team, especially Veronica, really made your time with us so comfortable. I am pleased that your time with us was seamless, and every expectation was exceeded.

It is a genuine pleasure for me to read that you have enjoyed your break in Cambridge and Veronica was so excellent at explaining what our beautiful city has to offer. She is indeed very passionate about hospitality and always helpful and professional to all our guests. She is a real gem of the Gonville hotel.

I do hope that we will soon have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Best Western Plus The Gonville Hotel, for another superb stay.

Reviewed 4 August 2014

Stayed at this hotel whilst visiting the Cambridge Festival, parking was plentiful at the hotel, check in was quick and easy. Our room was rather dark as the only small window was in the corner of the room. This didn't matter as we didn't spend much time in the room. The quality of the bathroom was better than in some higher rated hotels. The bed was the most comfy I have experienced. The service in the breakfast room was quick and efficient. The hotel is central and shops and restaurants are within easy walking distance.

Review collected in partnership with Best Western GB

Dear Crooks,

Thank you for your complimentary review. We are happy that you enjoyed our very privileged location just short stroll from many local Cambridge attractions and colleges. I am also pleased you thought that our free car park facility was a bonus to your stay. Free car park is very rare in Cambridge and I feel this really adds a value to the hotel services.

Whilst I was delighted to learn that the bed in your room was very comfortable, I was disappointed to learn that the lighting levels in the room and a small window did not meet your expectations. The hotel has got a variety of bedrooms and have we known your requirement I am positive we would have tried to accommodate your need.
Here at the Gonville we strive to achieve service anticipation and excellence, therefore please do not hesitate to let us know your preferences during your future stays.

I was thrilled to learn that you found the breakfast service and the staff professional and efficient. Our team works hard to ensure every stay is memorable, and it is a genuine pleasure for me to read about the wonderful time they are creating for our guests.

I do hope that we will soon have the opportunity to welcome you back to The Best Western Plus The Gonville Hotel.

Reviewed 3 August 2014

A three night stay in a very attractive hotel just out of the city centre in Cambridge. Exceptionally well presented and spotlessly clean throughout. Room was large and very comfortable. However two issues spoilt this visit – the bedroom window would not remain open (vertical sash). My first request for repair was ignored. The second prompted an unsuccessful repair. I propped the window open with a bottle! - no point in a window if it wont open during beautiful summer weather. Second problem was breakfast – lovely restaurant however the cooked breakfast was always slightly undercooked and invariably coldish when served. The restaurant manageress was over officious and this deteriorated into plain rudeness at times. Surely reading the paper at breakfast is not that big a crime!!
Foe the price his hotel is great value – just need to brush up on the service aspect.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends

Dear gms555,

Thank you for sharing your experience at our hotel on Trip Advisor.

I was naturally extremely disappointed to learn that your stay with us did not meet your expectations, and I am so sorry that on this occasion we were unable to create the memorable stay for you that we would have hoped for. Please do accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience caused.

Whilst I was pleased to read that you found our central location very convenient, the standards of our residential bedrooms comfortable and that our newly refurbished restaurant décor was very appealing, I was sorry to learn that the service was not attentive. I am currently investigating this matter and please stay assured that we will learn from your experience. Please accept my sincere apologies for this and for the breakfast being served slightly cold each morning of your stay. I was disappointed to read the feedback as this is not our usual high standard that we are known for. The bedroom window has been already dealt with by our maintenance department and thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I hope that this did not spoil your entire stay and that I will be able to have an opportunity of meeting you in person on your return visit to Cambridge.