“Great location”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Great location”
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

Hotel was perfect, great location, nice stroll across the park into the centre. Staff extremely helpful and polite. Rooms clean and modern. Bar needs updating but apart from that perfect hotel for visit to Cambridge, would recommend and visit again

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Craven1608

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review,

We are so pleased that you found the hotel to be in a great location and close to the centre as well as being clean and modern.

Please know that I will be passing your comments back to my team who will also be delighted.

We are soon to update the Bar its on my list! Hopefully in time for when you come back to visit.

Thanks again

Kind regards

Christopher Ogston

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2014

For our anniversary me and my husband treated ourselves to stay at the Gonville, and were thoroughly impressed!

This hotel is beautifully furnished with friendly staff who were willing to help, and a lovely dinning area. Very convenient for all Cambridge amenities.

If you stay I recommend eating there, there are lots of places in Cambridge, but the food was amazing. We enjoyed a dinner of pork followed by desert (both beautifully presented), and made sure we were up for a delicious breakfast the next day.

I am shocked this hotel is not 5 star, having stayed one night I very much wished I could have stayed longer at this wonderful hotel.

Room Tip: No tips, you just can't go wrong with this lovely hotel!
Green Features: Good recycling habits encouraged! Nothing more to add.
Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear EHopkin

Wow! Thank you so much for your fantastic review, we are all delighted to see that you had a great stay with us and found my team to be friendly and helpful, nothing gives us more pleasure to know that you had a lovely time with us!

It is certainly our aim to be the best in Cambridge and something we don’t take lightly, from service to the food everything needs to be right.

Thank you for sharing your comments and taking the time, we hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back again.

Happy Anniversary!

Harrogate, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Spent two nights at hotel. Staff were extremely helpful. Everything spotless. Comfortable. Breakfast very good with plenty of choice. We ate in one night and food and service was excellent.the only thing that we found fault with was lack of drawer space but as we were only away for short while it was not a problem.

Room Tip: We were in 101. Overlooked roof of restaurant but very quiet and comfortable
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2014
Dear Sue L

Thank you so much for your 5 star review!

We are so pleased that you had an enjoyable time with us and found the hotel to be spotless and my team helpful.

Please know that I will be passing on your feedback especially to my F&B team with regards to the quality of food and service. I am sure they will be delighted to hear your comments.

Thank you again for taking the time, we hope that next time you visit you choose to stay with us again, make sure you ask for a room overlooking the garden as these have plenty of storage.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I hadn't been to this hotel for some years and was amazed by the transformation / re-fit upgrade. The reception area is now up to date and very welcoming. I wasn't staying at the hotel, just eating in the Atrium Restaurant, as it had been recommended by a friend.

I have to say the food was outstanding and was worthy of a Michelin star any day, just couldn’t fault it at all. The staff were professional and friendly too and a special thank you goes to our waiters for the evening Joaquin & Jade and also to the lady who walked us out to our car with an umbrella because it was chucking it down.

All in all, first class service, fantastic food and the friendliness staff I’ve met in a restaurant for a long time. Would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Melanie N
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Melanie N,

Thank you so much for your 5 star review, we were delighted to see that you were really impressed with our new Reception and Atrium Restaurant following the refurbishment.

We are so happy with the results and the difference this has made to our hotel, now the public areas match the quality of our fabulous bedrooms!

Please know that I will be taking your feedback back to my team who will also be very happy with your comments. Nothing gives us more pleasure than to see our guests have a great time with us!

We are really moving the food standard forward as we become the hotel of choice in Cambridge; our New Head Chef Jay will also be delighted with your comments!

The other members of my team you mention will also be rewarded for their excellent service because this is something we are always encouraging them to do and pleased to see it in action.

Thank you for taking the time, we look forward to welcoming you back to the Atrium soon.

Reviewed 10 August 2014

This is the second time I stayed in this Best Western.

The location is 5 minutes walk from the center of the old town area. Very conveniently located with many restaurants nearby.

The hotel itself is in a old building (like many other businesses in the old town area). Some of the floors many not be even. The public area, the room and the hotel restaurant are all very clean. The bedding is very comfortable.

Breakfast was provided at the restaurant on the ground floor. English breakfast was served buffet style with cooked to order eggs.

I didn't check if they have any exercise facilities. Instead, I just saunter around the charming old town nearby.

WIFI is kinda odd. They only allow two devices. (I have 3 devices but I didn't bother to ask for more WIFI connections.)

Room Tip: Choose a room that is facing outside instead of the inner court.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Christopher O, General Manager at The Gonville Hotel, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Mike Y

Thank you for your review, we were pleased to see that you had a good stay with us recently and found the hotel to be clean and comfortable.

Cambridge is a great place to explore and see the beautiful historical buildings.

We hope that next time you are in town we will have another opportunity to look after you.

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

The hotel is well situated on the edge of Parkers Piece and only a 10 to 15 minute walk to the city centre. We found all the staff to be polite and helpful. Our room was clean, with working, if somewhat noisy air conditioning. Would have given it 5. But room a bit small and lacking in storage space for the price. That said prices for most hotel accommodation in Cambridge appears to be over the average.

Stayed August 2014
Dear Dougie D

Firstly may I thank you for taking the time to leave your review, we are so glad that you had a great stay and you found my team to be polite and helpful.

Thank you for your comment about the air conditioning system we will certainly get this checked out.

To get the best rates its advisable to book our Advance purchase rates to get the best deals, when you take into consideration our free parking, high speed wifi and breakfast this really is great value.

I hope that we will have another opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel soon,

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Having read the reviews we thought we would stay at this hotel.The location is good next to the swimming pool which is a bonus, the staff though nice are over friendly and our room was clean but not as nice as we were expecting.The layout was back to front.The breakfast was something resembling school dinners, poor quality and cold.

Room Tip: arrive early so you can change rooms if need be.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank deepak c
Dear deepak c

Thank you for your review, I was sorry to see that we did not meet your expectations during your recent visit with us with regards to the style of the room and breakfast.

We ensure that the photos on display are a true representative of what you receive, however if this is not to your liking then we will gladly find you an alternative.

I am sorry I don’t understand your comment about the layout being back to front?

Please accept my apologies with regards to the quality of the breakfast; again if this was not up to standard we would have replaced this for you if we had known.

There were no other comments during your stay with regards to the quality of breakfast, so this may have been a one off.

As I am sure you will understand from seeing the recent refurbishment of the Atrium and Reception areas, we are all about quality, so we would have really welcomed the opportunity to have put this right for you.

However I hope that this did not spoil your stay and I can assure you I will be taking this up with my team.

Thank you again for taking the time.