“You get what you pay for”
Review of The Lensfield

The Lensfield
Ranked #23 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I stayed at the Lensfield for six nights in July 2012 and overall, the reviews from the last couple of years paint an accurate picture of the hotel. It's not a luxury hotel, and because it's fused and reconfigured terrace houses, the rooms are very small. They are not, as the hotel advises "on the small side". They are tiny. But they have everything, even if the furnishings are a bit dated. On the plus side the hotel is well managed by profesional staff, is very clean and is in a great location.

But there are a couple of negatives - all of which have been remarked on. The room I was in was very warm, even with the windows open I slept without a sheet over me. But leaving the window open wasn't desireable either, because the road at the front is a very busy ring road. With the windows open it was impossible to sleep through the night without being woken by a vehicle or pedestrian. Because of the peculiarities of the building the hallways are narrow and th stairs are narrown and winding. I wouldn't think the elederly or infirm would feel particularly comfortable on the stairs.

I am also at a loss to understand why anyone would criticise the breakfast. It's sensational. The food served didn't change in the six nights I was there, but the quantity, quality and variety of the food couldn't have been better. The quiches and dessert dishes were odd, but the continental choices and hot selection were sensational.

Would I stay there again? The experience wasn't so positive that I would make the Lensfield my automatic choice for the next visit. I'd look around, but ultimately if the Lensfield represented the best value, I'd be happy to stay there again.

Room Tip: In summer, don't accept a room at the front of the hotel. The noise from the traffic is very in...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank markjackson100
There are newer reviews for The Lensfield

Reviewed 24 June 2012

Stayed at the Lensfield for one night to attend a wedding. The hotel is functional, well run and the staff are very polite and helpful. Its clean, the bed was comfortable and it did feel the room had been recently refurbed. The cooked breakfast is over rated regards the quality of ingreadients but the choice included chocolate gateaux, pork pies etc which does seem a little strange.

So in all, it was perfect for what we needed and you would be hard pressed to find similar in the centre of Cambridge without paying a lot more. However, its not a hotel you'll create any emotional attachment to. Its functional and fits the bill if you just need a base in Cambridge for a night or two.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ctw71
Reviewed 17 June 2012

I was booked into the Lensfield for a business trip. It is located conveniently to the centre of town. The staff was extremely friendly, the decor is a bit old-fashioned but not dated or dingy. In fact, it was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast was excellent, a full British style meal. The noise between rooms is the only thing that was a bit bothersome, one of my colleagues had difficulty sleeping because you hear every sound from next door and above. Overall I would recommend it though.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Probably the polite description of this hotel is "quirky". It's within walking distance of Cambridge city centre and if you time your arrival well you can park for free at the front of the hotel.
Our room was small, but OK for two nights - a bit of a struggle to find anywhere to pile the numerous cushions that we had to take off the bed before going to sleep. The bedcover was stained, although the sheets were clean. There was a flat screen TV, free wifi and a clock-radio with Ipod dock, but everything else felt quite dated. The biggest problem was the pale curtains, which meant that the first night we woke when it got light - around 4.30. The second night we made good use of the unpleasant bedcover & tucked that into the curtain rail! We were at the back so there was no road noise, but we could hear quite a lot of talking which we weren’t sure if it came from other guests or staff.
Breakfast was OK – cooked & continental options, but slightly odd that when helping yourself to the buffet a member of staff had to take the lid off the hot food for you. We tried the bar one night – but tiny, no atmosphere and very small selection of drinks. We would recommend The Snug just along the road – great cocktail selection!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back will avoid road noise. As someone else commented 157 is a bit of a squash for two...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We were lucky enough to get one of the 5 parking spaces which was great. Friendly greeting on arival. Room was fine, not as small as I had read in some of the reviews. Breakfast was excellent. Good location about 5/10 minute walk to the centre. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 May 2012

My boyfriend and I recently spent one night at The Lensfield Hotel and overall were fairly pleased. Our arrival was slightly tarnished by Cambridge councils parking situation (only parking we could find locally was 50 pence for every 10 minutes with a maximum 2 hours), although when we mentioned this to the receptionist on checkin, she arranged for one of the cars on the hotel driveway to be moved and we parked there for free, which was very helpful (I believe the 4-5 spaces outside the hotel are on a first come first served basis, so beware of Cambridge council if you don't get one of these!). The room itself was very small (although we had been told this when we booked), but was comfortable and clean. The decor was a bit dated and a little shabby, but we have been told their are having a full refurb, which I think is due. The bed was comfortable and then breakfast was excellent. Personally, as a vegetarian, I prefer a continental breakfast to cooked and was pleasantly suprised by the offering of fresh fruits, yoghurts, cheeses etc, as well as the usual cooked options. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful. It was also a great location, within 5-10 minutes walk of Kings College and the city centre. I would consider staying again if I was in the area.

Room Tip: We choose a room at the front of the hotel, which was a little bit noisy due to the road outside, bu...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank sharkgirl28
Reviewed 22 May 2012

To be fair the booking confirmation said "Please note that our rooms are on the small size", but that didn't quite prepare me for the reality. The tiny shower cubicle opens directly into the room, and there's no towel rail, so damp towels ended up on top of my suitcase - which occupied almost the entire floor space. This was a "standard double bedded room for single occupancy".

The room was not cheap (£98) but the alternatives were either much more expensive, or miles out of town. I didn't come by car, so the very limited parking was not an issue. Despite all of that, I enjoyed my stay - breakfast was fine, and staff were pleasant. Wifi was free but unreliable.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo