“Very average”
Review of The Lensfield

The Lensfield
Ranked #23 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The location of this hotel is great - just a 10 minute walk to the centre. However, overall the hotel is very dated. We were in room 132 and the curtains were hopeless. The sloping ceiling makes it a little harder but a blackout roller blind costs little and would make a big difference. Sound proofing was poor. We could hear everything from the room next door. The hot water system In the bathroom was poor and so loud it seemed it was on the verge of exploding or collapsing. Breakfast is served from 7.30am to 9am. Who wants to be out of bed before 9am on holiday? To iron some shirts I had to walk to the other end of the hotel where an ironing board is set up in an uncomfortable bend in the hallway. Apparently irons can't be used in rooms due to "health and safety" but that rule does not seem to apply to any other hotel in the world. Finally, I understand that in an old building it is not possible to install a lift. We did not have much luggage but there was no suggestion anyone would help with luggage and the next morning a woman was throwing her bags down the stairs as she could not carry them. She was reprimanded as it was dangerous - but no staff member helped her!
Overall this was a very average experience and we would not recommend the hotel. The price tag of £110 seemed high for the quality received.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lola_and_Simon
There are newer reviews for The Lensfield

Reviewed 16 June 2013

I did speak to the General Manager about my concerns so I have tried to play fair. I should say that I grew up in Cambridge so know the City well and the central location of the Lensfield was not a key factor for me. At the hotel the service was impeccable, charming and helpful. The foyer and bar are smart and breakfast was fine. We stayed in room 158, a twin-bedded room in the rabbit warren at the back. It had fusty, dark velvet hangings with curtains that didn't meet, old-fashioned brocade bedspreads and the en-suite was a nightmare. The water didn't run away in either basin or bath so we were having a shower in 3 inches of water, the mirror over the washbasin swung freely so you couldn't settle it in the place you wanted, the tiles on the floor felt as if they were lifting and the door rattled at night. You could hear conversations in the neighbouring room. The hotel is an amalgamation of several old houses and I was told that some rooms have been updated. At least in these old rooms it should be possible to replace the furnishings, put in some modern furniture and maybe conceal some of the electrics.

Room Tip: Check if the room you are booking has been updated!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank r0sp
Reviewed 13 June 2013

I have seen "quirky" used, i would agree. i stayed recently, unable to get into a more standard property at last minute. the room was ultra clean and new. little details (luggage rack, a manner of keeping a very annoying fire door temporarily open to allow one an easy way to carry a suitcase in) are not present. the person who checked me in actually lectured me about turning off lights, interesting but a bit offensive. as others have said, a good breakfast though the help is a bit fussy in an effort to please. price is very fair. would not go back unless i had to, but cannot say anything real bad about it (except about the horrible fire door than prevented me from using my suite in a reasonable fashion), and the location is great.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
3  Thank Fred W
Reviewed 5 June 2013

When I first checked in I was so nervous. I love good hotels in fact a bit of a hotel snob, but this wee gem is crackin. Very close to the Main Street and very helpful staff. The breakfast was excellent and the bar is cosy. The bed was comfortable but the room was small. No matter, not much noise and the wireless is excellent if you are on business (as I was) Ive paid far more for bigger hotels which say they have wireless access ( but they don't, or its very bad reception). Give it a chance. My only down point is that it doesn't do dinner. But no matter there are a million great bars and restaurants 5min walk away.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 1 June 2013

The Lensfield is a reasonably priced hotel in an excellent location, close to railway station, Fitzwilliam Museum, the river, colleges and shopping. The staff were friendly and helpful, the room was good with nice little touches like slippers provided and a chocolate on the pillow. Recommended.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 May 2013

This is a typical city-hotell, with s super location to all Cambridge attractions. I dont think this hotell will be suitable for people depending on a wheelchair. Nice breakfast buffet presented by service-minded staff. You can choose from the pre-made hot dishes or you can ask for eggs as you want it form the kitchen. A bit disappointed about that the bar was closed. Nice big bedrooms with tiny bathroom.

Room Tip: Choose a room heading away from the Lansfield Road.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tor W
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I feel compelled to write to you following our stay at the Lensfield on the Weekend (not something I fell very often)

Firstly, I though your hotel and facilities were fine, everything I would expect to be in the room – was (my regards to your cleaning staff, clearly doing a very good job!), and your location was great. What really did it for me was your staff! They were absolutely brilliant! Far too ofen nowadays you are confronted with unhelpful / unhappy / miserable folks – not at the Lensfield.

On arrival (Saturday afternoon 2ish), we were greeted by a very pleasant young lady, who was cheerful and helpful. The following morning at breakfast, I was especially delighted with the flexibility and willingness of your staff to help. They were attentive, and made very sure that we were suitable fed and watered  … again, in a very cheerful and helpful.

I sincerely hope you pass on my thanks to all at Lensfield. Should we stay in Cambridge again, you’ll be our first call. You have a good staff, they are making your hotel great.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple