“Decent Hotel”
Review of The Lensfield

The Lensfield
Ranked #23 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 31 May 2007

I stayed in one the Executive Double Suites.

Pro's;
-I found the room clean, and functional.
-The bathroom had just been revamped, and was especcially nice.
-The breakfast was good.
-The Lensfield is a good choice for someone visiting the city on a short break.
-It is also only a 15 minute walk from the train station.
-Friendly and very helpful staff.

Con's;
-Room was really hot
-The rain at night was dripping through a leaky pipe outside out window causing a very loud noise on the aluminium roofing. Did taint the our experience a fair bit as it kept us awake.
-I think the room was slightly on the pricey side (£120) for what you got, but not terribly over.
-Bad location for what was meant to be one of the best rooms. It was at the bottom of the stairs, so was quite loud with people coming and going all the time.

All in all I would recommend this hotel. It's got a great location, and was pretty comfortable and clean. Issues with noise, but maybe we were just unlucky with room allocation.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank solosol
There are newer reviews for The Lensfield

Reviewed 12 May 2007

I stayed here for 1 night recently. The hotel was comfortable and clean. The single room I was in was tiny, but well equipped. The hotel has a good location - easy walking distance of the centre - and was good value for money. Breakfast was good, and the reception staff were helpful.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled solo
1  Thank f2010
Reviewed 27 April 2007

I stayed at the Lensfield while attending a conference at the University of Cambridge. The hotel was older but clean. Staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is very well located. just a short walk from the university and the centre of town.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
3  Thank Iggyk
Reviewed 4 April 2007

Myself & 11 others stayed at this hotel for 2 nights at the end of the March for my hen weekend. This is an excellent small hotel close to the town centre, pubs & restaurants. They made us feel very welcome and the rooms were very clean and tidy. Some rooms were small but others were a reasonable size. The breakfast was outstanding. I intend to visit cambridge later in the year and will definately being staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed: March 2007
4  Thank zoealig
Reviewed 3 April 2007

Cambridge has a dearth of decent hotels so it was a pleasure to discover that the generally positive reviews of the Lensfield were not mistaken. This is a very pleasant small hotel in a good location, a short distance from the main colleges and shops.

My wife and I stayed one Saturday night in an "executive" room for £110 including a full English breakfast. We found the room and public areas immaculate, the bedroom comfortable and well insulated for sound, the service at breakfast excellent, the breakfast itself very good, the reception staff pleasant and efficient.

Only two small negatives. We like heat but even we had to open the window in our room to cool it down. Second, the hotel car park comprises just five spaces in front of the building off the main road. During our limited stay, only one space became temporally available. We parked elsewhere and walked.

I have also stayed in past years at the Crowne Plaza, the Garden House and the Best Western Gonville. The last was gloomy and will not be revisited. The first two are OK and the Garden House, at a price, can offer a fine view of the river. But both are very expensive compared with similarly priced hotels in London.

We would stay at the Lensfield again.

• Stayed: March 2007
6  Thank sigmund
Reviewed 11 January 2007

I stayed at the Lensfield for 4 nights in Jan 2007 and chose it based on the various reviews located here. That being said, I can't for the life of me figure out why it is rated #4 in Cambridge. It is a small hotel with 30 rooms and the rooms are small as well. The room was clean and I requested a quiet room and indeed it was quiet (not facing the street).

Now for the cons:

Since it is a small hotel, it for example doesn't have an ice machine. One has to ask for ice.

The radiator in my room was leaking and they did come fix once I mentioned it to them. One day I came back at 18:00 and waited for the heating to go on but it didnt so at 19:00 I asked them to turn the heating on. The rest of the hotel was heated but it would appear that one section had the radiator piping turned off.

The extra toilet paper roll in the bathroom on the first day was stained so I had to unroll a few sheets so as to avoid the stains.

The mirror in my bathroom only tilted down and did not stay tilted up.

The TV was limited to 10 channels: BBC1, BBC2, ITV, Chan4, Chan5, Sky Sports, Fox sports, Skynews, Hallmark and Biography channel. No pay per view. No movie channel.

It has a good location. I have stayed at the Gonville (ranked #18) and the rooms are nicer and more spacious. Next time I might try the University Arms (ranked #46) which is more of a hotel with conference rooms a bar and multiple sitting areas.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 November 2006

Over heard at breakfast sums it up for me, " I have been coming here for years, and this place has nothing to recommend to it but the location". The location is truly excellent, as close to town as you would like, but there are buts..
We had a very glum basement family room, small, bristling with nylon, that for a two day week end was very over priced. Any feel of a hoped for treat was dashed.
The bar was closed, there was no food available after our five hour drive, the breakfast looked bountiful, but full of the value ingredients that our schools can no longer serve.
As a clean place to rest your head it was fine, but compared to other hotels within Cambridge at comparable prices it amounts to very poor value and a triumph of a good web-site.

Stayed: September 2006