“Quality hotel for Cambridge stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Lensfield

The Lensfield
Ranked #24 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Austin, Texas
“Quality hotel for Cambridge stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2007

I stayed at the Lensfield as I had a conference on the Cambridge campus. The hotel is a bit out of the way-- I walked 30 minutes to the conference college, but it is only about a 15 minute walk from the city center and some other Cambridge colleges.

I had traveled from Scotland, so I arrived very late and I was worried that they would close the hotel. They had some issues with the night clerk, which they told me was rare, but it was very stressful trying to get into the hotel before it would be locked. I would call ahead if you have issues like I did.

The people who own the hotel are very professional and serious. I only found one woman to be "friendly", but I appreciated that they take their hotel very seriously. I accidentally left an earring, and got a very nice email letting me know they could mail it to me.

I enjoyed breakfast, as it was somewhat formal. They seat you and bring coffee and toast. Breakfast was fantastic-- typical British fare (eggs, tomatoes, mushrooms, potatoes), but also amazing cakes and pastries. Coffee is great and it is brought in a carafe.

I really liked the size of the room, and had fast internet connections (which costs extra). I had enough closet space and drawers to put my clothes. I appreciated the decor, which was somewhat Victorian meets shabby chic. My room had a view of the street, and it could get loud on occasion. I must say, I will remember one evening fondly when I had my window open and hearing the rain and the window rattle. It was a lovely experience (no sarcasm intended). The hotel is old, but that is part of its charm. A honeymooner would love it.

Some cons-- the stairs are daunting especially if you bring some luggage (but you can do it!) and the street traffic can get a bit much (bring some earplugs). The water temperature/pressure varied a bit, but it was nothing unbearable. It is the result of an older hotel. Also, parking looks like it would be an issue, and it can be difficult to cross the street as a pedestrian to get to the hotel.

Overall, it was a nice experience. I would recommend it, if you like staying in a professionally run, older hotel with some charm.

• Liked — decor, professionalism, breakfast, value
  • Disliked — can be loud, daunting stairs
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled on business
8 Thank lizicat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Korean first
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2007

Like another reviewer, I am a little confounded by the Lensfield Hotel. Based on its website it looks extremely impressive. The reality is a little less so. In fact, when the taxi pulled up outside, I struggled to recognise the place!

Good points first, though. The staff were very welcoming, very friendly and very professional. We booked an executive double room which was a reasonable size for an old building, and it had air conditioning which is a surprising and welcome addition. There was also a good TV, coffee & tea making facilities and a large bathroom. The location was good, with all the sights of Cambridge being a pleasant 15-20 minute walk away.

Now for the not-so-good points. As for the room decor, let's just say it wasn't to my taste, and very kitsch in my opinion. Our room faced away from the main road and so we had no traffic noise but we did get noise from the room above - they obviously had some creaky floorboards... We always bring earplugs for such eventualities and so it wasn't a major problem. The bed, however, was probably the hardest I've experienced in a long time. Given that my wife is 6 months pregnant she found it particularly uncomfortable. Why these small hotels don't invest in thick mattress toppers (especially in "executive" rooms) like the Marriott hotels do is beyond me. It was a particularly uncomfortable night's sleep. The breakfast was also a let-down. It is billed as being "copious" and "delicious" but after taking one look at the scrambled eggs (they use powdered eggs rather than fresh - a sure sign they don't care about taste) I decided on a simple breakfast of yoghurt, toast and cereal. That wasn't great either - the yoghurt was bad (and cheap at 26p per tub - according to the label!), the toast was stale and the milk was warm.

In all honesty I don't like to harshly criticise small hotels like this. The staff are good and they obviously try hard to make your stay pleasant, but I feel they are cutting corners to save money. If they spent a bit more, they could charge a bit more and could provide better value than they are now. I don't think I will be going back to the Lensfield any time soon, I'm afraid.

• Liked — Good location, good staff
  • Disliked — Bad bed, bad food, bad decor
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
8 Thank NDAB
Palos Verdes Estates, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2007

We truely are confounded by the high ranking of this hotel. On our recent trip to England we booked three hotels based on Trip Advisor reviews. Over the years we've likely booked in excess of 10 stays based on TA. This is the first to be other than what we expected it to be.

We don't want to slam it because the folks that run it are so very pleasant and nice (appears to be family operated) and so we will start with the good.

Wonderful, helpful, truely friendly staff. A good location for sightseeing and easy to find for the international traveler driving on the "wrong" side of the road. Breakfast was OK considering it was buffet. Room and bathroom were very clean. Bathroom was small but lovely with modern fixtures and a large tub / shower.

Now for the rest. We booked an Executive Double to gain a bit of extra room (at a bit of extra cost). What we got was a tiny double room with a double bed. Given the size of the room it was a bit of a challenge negotiating around the double bed. We complained to the desk clerk who explained to us, well all our rooms are small and we've nothing else available. We looked at the room sizes on the floor map. Our was the smallest that would actually accommodate a double bed and still allow you to walk around. If ours was and "Executive", they all are. We passed by the Regent Hotel, about a block away, and just out of curiosity checked out their similarly priced Executive Doubles. They contained a king sized bed (which would have hardly fit in our room). Nuff said on this.

The room was NOISY being just a bit down the hall from the lobby (where the TV was constantly on). There was an "ALways to be kept closed" fire door which seperated the hall from the lobby but it was always open. When we suggested that it be kept closed in the interest of reducing noise we were told it would only make matters worse as it would constantly be slamming as people came and went.

The walls seperating our room from others were so thin and poorly insulated that we could have heard pins drop in the next room. The staff apologized for this explaining that yes they are thin and that it is an old, converted, listed building that they can't reeally do very much to (because of its historical listing) and so it must remain as it is (i.e. small noisy rooms with thin walls). Somehow, this fact was omited on the web-site.

As for the esthetic aspects of the room, again, it was spotlessly clean but otherwise so two star. Our "view" was out over a roof at an alley and parking area and into the bathroom of the room above. Oh well.

Bottom line - it all would have been OK for a night's stay (with the earplugs which we ultimately used) if expectations were a bit better managed (after all, it is very highly ranked) and it wasn't such poor value for what was delivered. The web-site does not in any sense really represent what you will find on arrival.

• Liked — Location and friendliness of staff
  • Disliked — Room size, price, lack of esthetic, noise.
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank noclvrname

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2007

I stayed in one the Executive Double Suites.

Pro's;
-I found the room clean, and functional.
-The bathroom had just been revamped, and was especcially nice.
-The breakfast was good.
-The Lensfield is a good choice for someone visiting the city on a short break.
-It is also only a 15 minute walk from the train station.
-Friendly and very helpful staff.

Con's;
-Room was really hot
-The rain at night was dripping through a leaky pipe outside out window causing a very loud noise on the aluminium roofing. Did taint the our experience a fair bit as it kept us awake.
-I think the room was slightly on the pricey side (£120) for what you got, but not terribly over.
-Bad location for what was meant to be one of the best rooms. It was at the bottom of the stairs, so was quite loud with people coming and going all the time.

All in all I would recommend this hotel. It's got a great location, and was pretty comfortable and clean. Issues with noise, but maybe we were just unlucky with room allocation.

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank solosol
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2007

I stayed here for 1 night recently. The hotel was comfortable and clean. The single room I was in was tiny, but well equipped. The hotel has a good location - easy walking distance of the centre - and was good value for money. Breakfast was good, and the reception staff were helpful.

• Liked — Convenience, comfort
  • Disliked — Tiny single room
  • Stayed May 2007, travelled solo
1 Thank f2010
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2007

I stayed at the Lensfield while attending a conference at the University of Cambridge. The hotel was older but clean. Staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel is very well located. just a short walk from the university and the centre of town.

• Stayed April 2007, travelled on business
3 Thank Iggyk
Burton-on-Trent
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2007

Myself & 11 others stayed at this hotel for 2 nights at the end of the March for my hen weekend. This is an excellent small hotel close to the town centre, pubs & restaurants. They made us feel very welcome and the rooms were very clean and tidy. Some rooms were small but others were a reasonable size. The breakfast was outstanding. I intend to visit cambridge later in the year and will definately being staying at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2007