“Excellent”

Cafe Naz
Price range: US$19 - US$26
Cuisines: Indian, Asian, Seafood, Contemporary
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Buffet, Delivery, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Takeout
Description: 'Best Indian Restaurant' - IndependentCafé Naz, also calling itself the Cambridge Curry Centre, is painted black but brilliantly-lit at night, a restaurant minimalist to the extreme with glass front door, black slate floors, white unadorned walls, recessed lighting and a striking burnished steel and glass staircase. It is, in fact, the new look Cafe Naz, this Indian eatery has been around since the 60s.Uniquely among Cambridge's 25 or so Indian and Bangladeshi restaurants, Cafe Naz, one of 5 sites in the Cafe Naz group, has broken from the local restaurants with a new, dynamic appearance – both in exterior and inetrior.Café Naz, Cambridge has a light and airy atmosphere. Well situated within easy reach of the city centre the Café Naz experience is unique; blending a mixture of mouth watering traditional and evolved Indian dishes creating the finest traditions of eastern cuisine as enjoyed in the west.Set over two storeys the restaurant offer the perfect location whether you’re planning a quiet evening with friends in the intimate ground floor setting or a special celebration in the party area upstairs seating up to 80 guests.The menu has something for all tastes with dishes specialising in Bangladeshi, Banarasi, Balti, Tandoori, Punjabi and Vegetarian. All this combines to make Café Naz one of the best Indian Restaurants around!
“Excellent”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

Me and my partner had a takeaway meal last weekend and it was excellent. I had a lamb madras and it was perfect, nice and hot, also the saag aloo was yummy. Been finding it hard to find a decent indian we both like. Will def be coming back for more!

“Excellent Service, excellent food...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

We ate at Cafe Naz early evening before a cinema trip. On arrival we were warmly greeted and seated by the window. With the menus we were provided with a complimentary fruit cocktail - very tasty albeit it served in a thimble-sized glass - and some nibbles. We ordered drinks and poppadoms, skipped starters and went straight for the mains. We are hot-food junkies and so ordered chicken madras and jalfrezi with pilau rice. Before they arrived we were surprised by another complimentary treat - this time juicy chicken pakoras on cocktail sticks! Very tasty and nicely bridged the gap until the mains arrived. The mains were excellent - good heat level but very flavoursome also. These were quickly dispatched and then it was time to leave for the cinema. All in all a very pleasant experience and we will definitely return again.

• Visited October 2013
2 Thank Hungry T
Cupar Fife
“Cambridge Curry House!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2013

We ate here with our niece last week and were so pleased with our choice. The two waiters who attended to us were so polite and very good at their jobs. We chose the chicken Chaat and samosas to start followed by lamb Palak biryiani and Korma with Naan bread. A bottle of French Merlot as the Rioja was finished. The waiter had asked me where we would normally eat and I said when we visit our daughters in Glasgow we always go to one of the mother India restaurants as their quality is wonderful. I don't know if this fact was relayed to their chef but the food we had here was also outstanding in particular the chicken Chaat was so moist and flavoursome. I shall definitely return when next in Cambridge

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Wyandour
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Mixed (grill?), but would come back if only for the starters!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

Clean lines and minimal but classy decor hit me on entering this establishment - followed by a wave of freezing air con. I was borderline too cold throughout the meal but probably better that than too hot.

Speaking of not being hot enough, the 'three chilli's Lamb Jalfrezi ordered by my other half barely made my nose run and certainly wasn't as spicy as he would have liked. I don't like very spicy food but could have eaten the whole thing!

Popadums and Namn breads were very nice (I'm going to naively say 'authentic') and the starter (Chicken Chaat) was really quite special. Service OK, not slow until we wanted the bill and to leave, the waiters were like ninjas when it came to avoiding our eyes! But overall cost was fair enough and I'd go back if invited as a group or maybe just the two of us to have Chaat again!

• Visited July 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Best South Asian food in town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

I'm Bengali. My thakurma (grandma) is Bengali. My aunties are Bengali. They all know how to cook very well. I've also travelled extensively in India, from Kolkata to Delhi to Goa to Cochin, from Assam in the far northeast to Kerala in the far southwest.

What I miss most away from India is the great food. It's very hard to find good Indian food in the UK. It can be done; certainly in London, and then by seeking out the best places in Bradford, Leicester and Birmingham (maybe).

Cambridge has several Indian restaurants and all of them are poor. The the food is ok, but so anglicised and so bland that it makes me weep.

Cafe Naz is an exception. It is not great food, but it is good food. One can taste the flavours. The service is friendly, and the restaurant is comfortable. It is the best tasting South Asian food I have found in Cambridge.

One quibble: why oh why do South Asian restaurants insist on serving only super-bland Indian beer or, worse yet, super-bland Euro lager? Why can I only dream of enjoying delicious South Asian food with delicious local English or imported Belgian or even German beer?!

• Visited July 2013