“Improving all the time”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Lucky Star Buffet Restaurant - CLOSED

Lucky Star Buffet Restaurant
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
“Improving all the time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

Lucky Star is smashing for basic with tables and excellent for food. The teppanyaki is absolutely outstanding. There is now a help yourself sushi section which seems to be very popular. There is plenty of food out but not too much so that it goes cold. The only thing I missed was the dim sum but hey you cant have it all...

• Visited September 2013

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Gone downhill”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

I used to love this place but sadly it is no longer as good as it used to be.

The choice of food is not as good as before, no duck, gelatinous pork and for some reason, masses of chips?! The rice ran out and was not replenished. The noodles were nearly cold. Our apple juices were watered down.

Also the service, such a shame. Most of the staff here are lovely but we had a very surly unsmiling gentleman who tried to overcharge me for 2 adults despite my 4 yr old son clearly being a child. Thankfully the manager spotted this and refunded my son's meal in full.

Sadly though I think we will go to yippee noodles next time, not tempted to return.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank Cambridgygirl
Thetford, United Kingdom
“Beware of Tour Busses”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2013

We have eaten at the Lucky Star on many occasions in the past, and found it good quality for a buffet. That said, our most recent visit was a disaster.

We arrived to find a large portion of the tables had been reserved, but we were fairly quickly seated. We had noticed a couple of coaches parked nearby but were in for a real trial. As the coach tour groups began to arrive, they literally elbowed their way to the buffet. While this in itself was not the management's fault, there was too few staff to deal with several hundred people converging all at once.

It was clear as well that the management was expecting these tour groups - not only were there reserved tables, but the buffet choices were far more limited that normal (no seafood options at all, 3 veggy offerings one of which was steamed broccoli, and much of the meat options cheap and grissly). Profit was the only explanation for this.

The tours were a problem in other ways as well. I say this because of the management's response later when we complained. I did queue for the fried rice (which was fairly good), but the person in front of me dished not only his own, but then spooned it out to companions reaching their plates through the steam table until I was left with one small spoonful at my turn. Such acts were the norm for this group. When we pointed it out to the staff, the manager said "What do you want me to do? Throw them all out?"

Later, a child in the group who had eaten too much was sick on the carpet right next to our table. The staff's response to this was to scold the child's parent and then to cover it up with newspaper was people were trodding through it. This remained the state of "the accident" throughout the rest of our meal.

At check out we noted all these things to the manager (leading to the "throw them out" question), and he went on to comment on he can't regulate the customers' manners and went on the say "its their culture." As far as the "accident" he said he only had four staff on so couldn't clean it better. We noted he should have had more staff since he knew the tours were booked in. We then demanded a discount to which we were given 10% off.

I have given a poor rather than terrible in recognition that we have had positive experiences there in the past, but it may well have been our last visit.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank padreray
Shanghai, China
“Good value at lunch time”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013 via mobile

It was very busy with groups when we visited at lunch time, so a little noisy
The benefit of this was the food was constantly replenished and very hot
The chicken in black bean sauce was very tasty and the beef in ginger
There were plenty of pork dishes as well
We always enjoy our meal there but we do go at lunch every visit when we think it is great value

Visited July 2013
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Possibly the worst chinese i have eaten.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 June 2013

I have eaten at this restaurant once before and I thought I remembered it being ok. I was so disappointed, the selection of food was poor and the quality and taste even worse.
My daughter who is not a fussy eater at all thought the ice cream was the best bit of it, I thought my Diet coke was.
I wouldn't recommend this place, next time I will go to the Indian next door.

• Visited June 2013