Benson House
US$181
US$175
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Express Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$152
US$245
US$237
Hilton
  • Restaurant
Holiday Inn Cambridge(Cambridge)(Great Value!)
US$110
Regent Hotel(Cambridge)
US$145
Official Site
  • Breakfast included
All reviewstop floormy husband and i spent nightsexcellent accommodationthe location is perfecttown centreshort walkeach morningfree parkingroom was clean and comfortablea lovely staycambridge universityjuliefitzwilliamtoiletriesengland
Reviewed 1 June 2014

We spent two nights at Benson's and found everything to be up to scratch with lots of thoughtful touches from the landlady, Julie. She'll bring you wine and canapes on your first evening, happily chats, delivers a first class breakfast. The room at the top was tasteful and comfortable. The front rooms are on a busy road but we slept well and enjoyed our time. Keep it up Julie!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 25 April 2014

Spent a wonderful night here. Booked the top floor room and, although small (attic room), the decor and furniture were easily up to hotel standards. Although the room was on the front of the house it was quiet, with little traffic noise and we slept soundly in the comfortable bed! The shower room was clean with modern fittings and the shower was good with luxury soaps provided. Breakfast was served in a very well decorated dining room on Royal Doulton crockery, again up to hotel standards with a choice of cereals and fruits in addition to a cooked breakfast. Parking is available in a layby just up the road at £2 an hour, we used it to unload. There is limited parking to the rear of the house for two cars but there are long stay car parks within an easy walk. What really made this stay wonderful though was the landlady, Julie. From the very stat Julie was more than helpful, making a note that it was our wedding anniversary and then on arrival providing a card, champagne and chocolates- without us asking! She was very friendly, sharing stories about her cats and really going the extra mile to make us feel comfortable and at home. I would have no hesitation in recommending this B&B to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 April 2014

My husband and I stayed in Benson for 11 days to visit my daughter and for sightseeing, it leaves us with beautiful memories. Julie is a loving landlady, kind and caring and thoughtful and never intruding. I was given a lovely gift in the Mother's Day during breakfast time and it did give me a big surprise, so was the other couple. There are quite a variety of choice in the breakfast menu, and obviously, Julie is a good cook, from eggs on toast to Full English Breakfast, again with homemade croissants, everything is done sooooo delicious. There is also a table of different choices of fruit, cereal and juice, and every morning is a real good start. A little more add on, there is a little host as well - Bertie the cat, who came to welcome us in the morning, and kept us company most of the time. We took oogles of pictures of Bertie and we do miss him.

As for the room, we stayed in Room 3, it is not big but just the size you feel so cosy and comfortable, extremely tidy and clean, nothing is exaggeratedly decorated but you feel a gentle warmness, and the bed linens is the softest I've ever slept on among our many many journeys and we say it can definitely compete with hotel standard. In additon, there is never lack of snacks, tea and coffee in the room ready at hand. we loved to go back to the B&B when we had nothing to do in the afternoon, in fact, it made us feel home especially with Bertie around with us. (Bertie ran up to stay with us sometimes in the afternoon when Julie was not around at home)

The bathroom, again it is not big but ABSOLUTELY IMMACULATE!! It is very well kept and maintained and equipped with quality toilet amenities, power jet shower, clean white towels, I would say it is flawless!

The distance to town is most convenient, it is about some nice 10 mins walk straight road down to the centre of the town and there are many pubs and restaurants, and you can always find good food along the walk.

Something we would like to express our gratitude to Julie is that we can see she was not feeling well throughout our stay, got a bad cold probably and lost her voice. But she put her guests in the top of her list and did everything to perfect as she always does. My husband and I had the most happiest experience staying in the Benson. It is Julie's warm hospitality and the lovingness of Bertie, we will definitely come back again next year.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BettyChan
Reviewed 30 March 2014

We really enjoyed the high class service and the quality of the food in this brilliant B&B. It is very close to the city centre, so walking in for touring the city and for evening meals was easy. My wife was even given a Mother's Day present - there were many little touches like that that made our stay fantastic. I'd recommend this B&B to anyone.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I really liked Benson House B$B and give it a really great recommendation. For whatever reason, I had never stayed at a B&B before, as my business travel in the US usually has me at larger hotels. Now that I've tried a B&B I'll certainly think about choosing one more often in the future.

I stayed at Benson House for 4 nights in both of the last two weeks while in Cambridge on business. I chose Benson House by recommendation from my hosts at NIAB because I wanted to be a bit closer to the city while attending a workshop further away from the city center on Huntingdon Road. The location was perfect for me as it was a good but not too far walk to NIAB but within a few minutes of close-by restaurants and pubs in Cambridge. There are many choices to pick from depending on how far you want to walk toward the city center. The closest is about a 2-3 minute walk (Sir Isaac Newton) and I went there twice and was very satisfied both times.

The facility is very well appointed and well maintained. The rooms are clean and kept up nicely. I was in two different rooms, one a single and one a double, and both beds were very comfortable and I had great sleep every night at Benson House. The bathrooms and showers are perfect too.

The service was excellent in all accounts. Julie helped me to my room the first day with my luggage, which she really didn't have to do. The rooms are well serviced each day and in-room coffee/tea supplies were always kept up. Julie is an excellent cook and she really does an excellent "Full English Breakfast", which was one of several choices from the menu. She is very accommodating of vegetarians, as my wife learned when she stayed for two days, and she also has a great presentation of fruit and juice that you can help yourself to while you wait for your meal to be prepared.

One nice flair to the place is the love that Julie has for cats. If you are allergic to cats it's possible that Bertie, the somewhat aloof but really cute house-cat, might pose some problems for you. I am not and I am also a cat lover so it was really nice to see Bertie and give him some love.

In summary, Julie runs an excellent operation at Benson House B&B and I highly recommend the place to anybody looking for a B$B very near to the city center in Cambridge.

Room Tip: The stairs up to the top level are fairly steep, so travelers with difficulties on stairs may keep this in mind.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business