“Wont be Back rooms too small”

Arundel House Hotel
Ranked #25 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 23 June 2011

Well appointed and neat Hotel but the rooms are far too small for the price.
No lifts so if you are on the upper floors you have to lug your luggage up a narrow staitcase could be 4 floors.
Stayed there before we went on a cruise and the room was smaller than the one on the ship!!
Worn carpet as well.
Breakfast area and restraunt was nice and it is close to the center of things.
Once again not value for mony far too expensive.

There are newer reviews for Arundel House Hotel

Reviewed 23 June 2011

I know cambridge well and have returned numerous times, often using this hotel, but sometimes I don't know why! The hotel has several large plusses, it is near the town centre, it is next to the river and the common, it has off street parking and is easily accesible without entering the bad Cambridge traffic snarls, the breakfast is good, in some ways I love the quirky feel of lots of houses joined together to make one hotel and I have found the staff to be friendly. HOWEVER (and it is a big however) this hotel does have several large negatives. The rooms are very variable and some are downright poky, you get the feeling every broom cupboard has been made into a room, which when you're 6'2" gets a bit tight. When you combine that with the fact that the occassional tiny rooms have normal/large prices to match you get annoyed. The finish quality of the rooms is also becoming tired, though what you could do to the brrom cupboards is beyond me. Dinner isn't too great either.
I still JUST give the place 3/5. It could easily slump to 2/5 but would need a lot of work to lift it up to 4/5 (probably a redesign and amalgamation of smaller rooms). However I can't see that happening as it serves a busy tourist market.
I will sta here again if I have to because the plusses are just enough to overcome my latent claustrophobia their rooms engender. Stay here for a place to sleep and eat breakfast and you will be OK.

Room Tip: Avoid the broom cupboards
  • Stayed: December 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 21 June 2011

The location is nice but the rest. Rooms noisy and small with a fitting bed (=also small). Staff not really interested. Bathroom not really clean (mold)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 June 2011

My husband and one year old child spent one night at this hotel for a leisure break. We were quoted £115 for a double room but decided on a £125 family room which was nothing more than a small double room - we managed to talk the check in team to reduce our rate by £10 for being mis- sold a family room but even at this rate it is very over priced. The room was very outdated including all the fixtures, fittings and 1970s hairdryer and shabby bedding. The bed was uncomfortable and the "continental breakfast" included within the room rate was well below standard. I would give this one a miss

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Location - Hotel was on the outskirts of the city center no more than a 15 minute - 20 minute walk from most things.

Room - The bed was a tiny double bed with the worst soft mattress I have slept on for a long time. Beyond that the room didn't even have a shower just a bath, no use at all when you want to get up, showered and quickly out for a meeting.

Breakfast - For £125 a night for a double room you would expect a decent breakfast. The continental breakfast was nothing more than a few juices and cereals and the cooked breakfast was I believe £8.00 and consisted of a paltry amount of beans, a couple of sausages and was dished up by some of the most miserable staff I have ever seen working in a hotel, see below for more.

Service - Reception staff were not particularly helpful with directions around the city when I asked. The breakfast staff were even worse. Asked if someone could take my order and they proceeded to disappear for 15 minutes. When I found anyone working there again they said oh yeah forgot, without any apology. Breakfast took another 15-20 minutes to arrive and was simply dumped unceremoniously on the table again without any explanation for the delay. I wouldn't have minded too much if the staff were rushed off their feet but there was hardly anyone else eating. Please don't get me wrong I'm not the type of person that stays in the Mandarin Oriental and expects immaculate 5* service. All I would expect is at least a smile and some kind of efficiency.

Hotel - Didn't use any of the facilities in the hotel but they had ample parking out the back.

Overall I would not book this place if you can avoid it. I really struggle to grasp how hotels in the UK can be so below average and charge so much money.....Cambridge is a beautiful city and really worth a visit if you are coming over as a tourist. I stayed in a private residence B&B in Cambridge when I stayed for wedding so if you're coming from abroad and looking for something pleasant then I suggest you go for that type of option instead of staying somewhere like this.

Reviewed 12 May 2011

A great location for this overly priced and below average hotel. From the minute we arrived we were made to feel like we were putting the staff out and were treated in a more then surly rude manner. The room was good and clean with a nice bathroom but definitely overpriced at £120. That I can live with, but I do not understand why the management of this hotel don’t train their staff to smile and be a little bit friendly with their customers. Loved Cambridge and will definitely will return but not to the Arundel. Thumbs down for sure...

1  Thank sunshine78Kent
Reviewed 25 March 2011

Spent two nights with friends in this hotel. The location is ideal for exploring Cambridge, with the river and a large park right across the street. Step through the park and you're right in the centre of town. The hotel itself is basic, though, with average rooms and an average English breakfast. Our group got rooms spread out throughout the hotel, which was a bit inconvenient. We all had single rooms but they varied a lot in size and appearance. But if all you need is a place to sleep, this hotel will do.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends