“Did I visit a different hotel?”

and 1 more site!
Arundel House Hotel
Ranked #24 of 37 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 13 November 2011

After reading many of the negative reviews of this hotel, I was quite apprehensive about my stay, having been booked in by an intermediary. However, I found this to be a charming, friendly, clean and well-placed hotel within Cambridge. The evening meal in the restaurant was of good quality and well presented, served by helpful waiting staff. The breakfast was really good with the full cooked option being included in my package but even if only having a continental brakfast there was ample, well presented choice. My single room was small but adequate- it is after all a Victorian hotel and they have to work with what they have got to a certain extent. The lounge areas were welll kept and the conservatory, where meals could be taken, was very attractive, looking out over the garden.
So, I did not recognise the hotel in whcih I stayed as being the same as in the negative views. I can thoroughly recommend Arundel House Hotel for a friendly, welcoming stay.

Room Tip: Although the front rooms have a view of the River Cam, back rooms are quieter..
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 October 2011

On the last night of a recent stay my wife fell ill (nothing to do with the hotel) and was admitted to hospital. Hotel staff could not do enough to help. I requested a room for further nights so I could visit my wife and was offered our existing room. So far so good. When I came to check out three days later I was taken aback to be charged the full double rate for the extra nights. I was advised to contact the manager. I did so by email and when there was no reply, by letter. Again no reply. This hotel will never see me again.

Room Tip: Look elsewhere
Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Gerard B
Reviewed 23 October 2011

On arrival we were given a room in "The Coach House" which is not a coach house and looks like a garden centre in the car park. It was dark and felt very cold and damp. We then asked to be moved to the main hotel. The room we were given was very small, the television could not be watched from the bed as it was fixed to an adjacent side wall. There was a very strong sewer smell coming from the shower. We were located at the back above the kitchen and were woken very early by the extractor fan. The decor in the hotel is very 1970s and looks as though that was the last time it was decorated - it was very tired-looking. We ate in the conservatory restaurant in the evening which is supposed to be open until 10pm. While we were eating our meal the staff were setting up the other tables for breakfast - I think they wanted us to leave! On the whole a very disappointing experience not to be repeated.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 October 2011

We first stayed here in 1999 and suspect that furnishings in the Carriage House haven't been renovated since then. I don't know how this compares with other rooms in the hotel, but our room 512 on the ground floor was dingy, smelt mouldy and had insufficient lighting to balance the dark decor ...stains on the carpet and very old fashioned bedding. Lighten the room up and include white bedding and it would be quite acceptable. B&B included a continental breakfast but we opted for the full English which arrived promptly and was hot and enjoyable. Felt that the staff were a bit overwhelmed with the number of guests waiting for breakfast as people were waiting at the door to be seated (for quite some time). We liked the hotel because of its close proximity to the city and the river and the free parking in a large parking area if you're driving.

There's a lovely walk into the centre of town through Jesus park which adds to the attraction of Arundel House, but please guys do something about some of those rooms which are depressing.

Room Tip: Upstairs rooms that get the sun in the morning may get more sun and air than the back rooms.
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2011

Unless you are a fan of Ashes to Ashes avoid the Arundel. The decor is shabby and is very dated. I was unlucky enough to be in a single room which was roughly the size of a wardrobe. The modern invention of duvets hasn't reached this establishment and the blanket was akin to crocheted handerkerchief. The bathroom was so small that that my knees almost touched the wall when sat on the toilet and I'm only 5' 6".

There was a confusion with my booking so whilst I had initially been told that I was in the Arundel's sister hotel, The Ashley House I was informed that had been changed, without anyone from the either establishment taking the trouble to inform me of this prior to arrival, and I was in the Arundel, I had to get back in my car and navigate the one way system. When I arrived at the Arundel there were 10 other guests before me checking in and only one person on reception.

The highlight for me was the extractor fan located directly directly outside my room which was incredibly loud. Reception told me that it would be turned off at 10.30pm however it didn't cease until nearer 11pm and than resumed at 7am.

Breakfast was unspeakably awful - with warm tinned grapefruit and toast that was barely more than bread.

If you wish to visit the lovely city of Cambridge I would strongly recommend that you find alternative accommodation. I presume my experience is reasonably common as the receptionist did not deign to ask if I had enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Francesca S
Reviewed 3 October 2011

It's not a luxury place, but a bed and breakfast, quite well located and clean. I really enjoyed my stay, the breakfast was ok (English breakfast was not included, only Continental) and my room was clean and spacious. Staff was also really kind. Although it is not the best place I've stayed in when travelling, it is the best from the ones I've stayed in England indeed.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 September 2011

I arrived at 02:30 in the morning after a long drive and was told that there was no reservation for me and that I was very lucky to be allocated a room. The room that i was given was hot & noisey and there was a packet of haf eaten doughnuts on the dresser and a half drunk bottle of mineral water. In the bathroom thre was also a toothbrush package left on the side. I as too tired to go and complain, fortunately the bed was clean and the towels fresh. I did not get up for breakfast. this hotel is not on my places to revisit.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business