“A bit of a Curates Egg”

Ranked #22 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
“A bit of a Curates Egg”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2012

A weekend visit, arrived late afternoon Saturday and found good free car parking to the rear. Reception was efficient if totally lacking personality. We were directed to a double room in the Coach House at the rear of the main Hotel. Possibly the smallest double room we have stayed in for many years .Clean with an en suite shower and and unfortunately an inevitably small double bed which was to lead to a restless night being very soft and short for a six footer.
Most entertaining moment was the Breakfast arrangement .Queued for 10 minutes for no obvious reason other than lack of staff. ordered a full English Breakfast and took 40 minutes to arrive with no explanation or apology when seeking an explanation. An unmemorable plate of food and on checking out a charge of £7.95 made for food which was already included in the tariff, again no apology for the error.
On a positive note if you can live with amazingly colourful patterned carpets and a ferocious central heting system the location for town centre is excellent and pretty fairly priced for the accommodation on offer.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Charles T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Polish first
Manningtree, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2012

I have been going to Arundel House 2-3 times a year - usually staying 1 or 2 nights - for about the last 6 years or so. I really like staying here, I feel very comfortable and at home here. I usually come for a shopping weekend and find that the hotel is centrally located and within easy walking distance to all shopping areas. The staff are friendly and polite and very helpful. The rooms are very pleasant and clean. I have stayed in single, twin and double rooms and all have been very nice. I like to stay in the main hotel and not the outside accommodation (Coach house). The restaurant is very good with a varied selection and breakfast is also very varied. I have seen reviews that have given negative comments, but I can say I have never had any problems here. I would recommend it.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Carole525
Llangefni, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights on a business trip.
Positives: Clean room; friendly reception staff; reasonable free WiFi; good shower after drainage had been sorted out; location for city sites.
Negatives; Tired/worn/dated furniture in room; very small room (single room); very poor breakfast (only had the continental breakfast).

• Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
2 Thank EnjoyTravel200
Zurich, Switzerland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2012

On the positive side, the hotel is in an excellent location, my room was comfortable and would have been a reasonable price for a solo traveller IF the hotel had lived up to the way it markets itself - the website suggests something rather better than it delivers! My room was comfortable and clean, and despite being at the front and facing onto the main road, it was not noisy at all. Unfortunately, my son, in a different single room, found himself in a room that had not been cleaned properly, holes in the duvet cover etc. He did get a partial refund after being very firm in his complaints and insisting. During my 4 night stay, I could not access the so called free Wifi once, either in the reception of the room. The really shouldn't advertise free Wifi when it is clearly a fiction as their eqipment doesn't deliver Wifi connections. My other complaint is breakfast - long queues at the weekend, even when tables are empty. They clearly don't have sufficient staff. I was asked if I wanted to sit in a very cold conservatory if I wanted to be seated immediately - I declined. Another example of them not living up to the image they give. Likewise with the continental breakfast which comes with the room. Stale rolls and croissants, mini packs of over sweet cereal, poor quality fruit and processed cheese slices - it all seems to be bought from the cheapest wholesaler in bulk and is not what is expected for a hotel that presents itself and something more than a budget hotel. The staff were friendly and polite - but I got the feeling that it was all by the book and following training in a stilted way. I would avoid staying there again if I could avoid it, however, there is so little choice of centrally placed Cambridge hotels at a reasonable price, I can't say never!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank RunnerBean41CH
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012 via mobile

From the outside the hotel looks fantastic. It's us made from 10 town house knocked through & enjoys all of the qwerks a Georgian property can offer, namely high ceilings, creeking floorboards, loud banging doors & tired decor.
My first room (96) was at the end of the corridor and was averagely appointed. The bathroom was filthy in places, especially in area where the cleaners mop had difficulty in reaching. There was mould in the sealant around the bath along with grout missing which will ultimately cause them problems with tiles falling off. The bed was a good size and comfortable, not that I stayed in it for long. By 10pm the constant banging and crashing from all around was enough & I asked to be moved. The only other room available was a twin with a view of the river from the front of the building. Appointments were very similar & the bathroom looked to have either been freshly renovated or just cleaned well. However, the toilet seat was very loose & the shower waste was blocked. The Chinese couple having sex in the adjacent room did make for some light entertainment for all of 15 minutes.
The restaurant is a total sham. My fillet steak tasted more of bacon & what didn't taste of bacon had no flavour at all. The waiters were foreign & hardly spoke English, their service best described & being blunt & snatchy. For a restraunt charging prices of £20 per course, you don't expect to be given half ripped menus! After complaining I didn't however have to pay for the meal.
I stayed for business & even though the company payed for my stay, I would never consider staying here again. It says a lot if you ask the hotel management if they would stay for £125 & they say no. Apparently the owners don't care & refuse to take note of feedback. Better to look for an alternative in Cambridge & book with plenty of time to spare

• Stayed October 2012
5 Thank stumpymonkey

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Cardiff, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2012

For ease of access into the city, this hotel is great. Just a few minutes pleasant walk across the river and through the park and your in the city. There is a busy road outside, which didn't really bother us, but then there is the river and park beyond. The rooms were small, but clean. (Most travel lodges we've stayed in are bigger). Sound proofing is non-existent. We could clearly hear the person in the room next door making a late night cuppa....Not what we expected for a 3* hotel.
We hadn't realised that it was 'Freshers weekend' and it seems neither had the management! perhaps they spring it upon them?? We waited to be seated for breakfast for over 10 minutes amongst tables that were free but not cleared. The staff were running around (literally) like headless chickens. Surely a buffet breakfast is the easiest thing to arrange? They weren't particularly apologetic either, but guess they were upset at the management not providing enough staff, which was obviously the problem. A continently breakfast was included in the price, which was more than adequate - standard fare... but cooked was extra, which seems fair enough. So in summary, great location, don't expect too much, take earplugs, don't be too noisy yourself and if you can avoid busy times, as they can't cope.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CardiffMaddie
Hong Kong, China
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2012

Travelling alone and stayed there for a week, it was the only place I could book up for a consecutive 7 days. There was no single room upon my booking and I the superior twin with English breakfast £150 was my only choice. I read the tripadvisor's tip: avoid Coach House, ask for a room facing river Camb... which turned out to be not bad. The room was spacious with a Double bed and one single bed, tidy and clean; bathroom was small but I didn't need a big one, it was fairly enough for me, it was clean as well. The power of the shower is good. It was cosy enough for me after a tiring journey each day.

The reception, in spite quite a lot previous negative reviews, I found it really OK! I couldn't say they wore a smile very often, but they are helpful and friendly. I didn't judge people's attitude by whether they smile to me or not, the receptionist did offer their help whenever I need to without fair. They did look a bit serious, but why couldn't they when they take your matter seriously? Smile, of course, is a bonus... but certainly, I never met a rude one !!

Restaurant - always a queue in the morning, very slow to serve you to sit, so there were always 4-5 guests waiting. There were 3-4 staff in the restaurant during breakfast time and they were always so busy... serving coffee and tea, cleaning up tables, taking orders endlessly. And the guests in the queue have to wait until they finished some round. To be fair, there were more than a hundred rooms in this hotel and I could understand there would be quite a lot of guests to serve, but I think they should spare just 1-2 minutes to check on the waiting guests, at least, sit them down instead of let them stand and wait. I counted on how many coffee and tea they served each before we could be approached because there was nothing better I could do while waiting. Staff in the restaurant are OK, but slightly less organized. I gave a merit to the girl working in the restaurant with long black hair, very cheerful and helpful !! I don't have her name.

It is not the best hotel, but definitely not bad.. As for the noise, I thought most of the b&bs or even the boutique hotels don't insulate very well. Yes, it is a problem, because I can only sleep with real quiet and dark. But it is not the only hotel which has to blame.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a superior twin, room 108 would be quite a good choice