“Nice place, nice stay”

Arundel House Hotel
Ranked #25 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 10 November 2013

Nice place to stay in Cambridge, worth the money. Good food, friendly young employees at the reception. My single room was small, but comfortable. But I was just under the roof, in a hot july, and with a small window to let the cool air in...

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
There are newer reviews for Arundel House Hotel

Reviewed 2 November 2013

We were sceptical after reading the reviews but our stay was fine. Just one night in the coach house, pleasant enough. Staff friendly enough and very courteous. Breakfast was ok but limited selection. Double bed seemed small as many hotels now have kingsize plus beds. Overall, the hotel is fine. Many of the bad reviews are unjustified in our view.

• Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 27 October 2013

This hotel is in a great location - right next to river and opposite very short walk into nicer parts of Cambridge (but, to be fair, all of Cambridge is pretty spectacular!)
Hotel has loads of car park spaces

Décor is a little 1970's and needs updating. The building looks like a number of houses connected together to make an hotel.

Beware of the temperature in hotel - room is boiling! had to sleep with window open all night

Breakfast was 'continental' - toasts and yoghurts etc - which I think is a bit mean.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank michael c
Reviewed 19 October 2013

I booked this hotel last minute as was visiting cambridge for some business and seemed handy for town centre, Looks a bit dull from outside, brown doors, but inside it was alright, check in was fine, my room was 200 just up the stairs from reception, quite small with shower only but very powerful with soft towels and clean. overlooked the back of the hotel, I ate in the consevatory food was fine, nice comfortable lounge next door with bar.The downside to the stay was where this room is situated which is nearest to the reception,so everyone going upstairs walks past your door and everyone checking in sounds like they are standing outside your door, this went on past midnight, with constant banging of doors, this is to do with the self closers and type of locking system they have ,I had the worst nights sleep in 2 years, I could also hear the kitchen extraction fan which was near my room, so did not open window, so was quite hot, I should have asked to be moved but was to tired to get out of bed at that time of night. the hotel and staff were nice and it is ideal for touring for its position, but I suggest management stay a night in this room to experience the noise which is not acceptable for £76 with continental breakfast. £7.95 for full english extra. The buffet was alright for breakfast, and you could have as much as you want. I was surprised by the negative comments on this site, apart from the sleepless night the hotel was very nice clean and tidy.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank GRAHAM S
Reviewed 18 October 2013

Very quickly booked the night before having stayed previously a few years ago. Our experience was very good. First of all we have to comment on the quality of the food in the restaurant as it is really tasty. We chose to eat off the set menu so was slightly expensive for our budget but we thoroughly enjoyed our choices, so much so we personally thanked the chef who then gave us a preview of the new menus he's recently produced, soon to be available. The staff in the entire hotel were really lovely and extremely friendly and helpful. They made the stay pleasant for us. It has to be said that the rooms are a little tired and we did hear quite a lot of noise from other rooms, water running, baths emptying, footsteps and others walking by passed our room. Pricing is on the expensive side and although we got the room at its lowest price, which was ok at short notice, was still a lot for us bearing in mind we also ate in the restaurant. Made it an expensive 1 night but on this occasion was definitely worth it. Will return when possible. Special thanks to Leine (Leanne) for a great friendly service.

Room Tip: Be aware there are lots of stairs if they are a problem to you
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I stayed here for a week and it's just awful. The staff are hot and cold in basic manners. The food is below average. The rooms are very hot, no air conditioning. The rooms are small. Poorly furnished. Small bathroom. TV positioning is acute, thus hardto watch from bed. The whole place is just tired and is low quality. This places is a 2 star max and should be priced at £60 per night. Awful.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank MES1980
Reviewed 7 October 2013

The Hotel in general was OK and the room was nice but a bit small (404) The real negative part was the fact I left a pair of Vans trainers in the room and didn't realise till a few days. I connected the hotel to be told they would check lost property and get back to me. Funny enough the answer I got was They hadn't received anything in!!!! There seems to be some dishonest people working at this hotel and unfortunately due to this my company wont be using this hotel again for any of our major conferences.

Room Tip: Top rooms are small and without showers.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business