“receptionist rude”

Ranked #24 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Liskeard, United Kingdom
“receptionist rude”
Reviewed 9 May 2014

the receptionist was rude and sullen. As we checked in we were both very taken aback by the lack of welcome. She first said there were possibly no rooms and was a total 'job's worth' finding a room; insisted that there were few rooms available but strangely there were few cars in the car park, few people around and few at breakfast in the morning. I have never before been to an hotel and not been shown to our room which we struggled to find. The room was unremarkable - we stayed in the new part - sound insulation was poor and we could almost hear the conversation of the people in the next room
The 'welcome' put us off and virtually ruined our stay. At breakfast only one of us had been booked thus we spent breakfast awaiting a manager to tackle us. Fortunately this did not occur although there were numerous sidelong looks and phone calls to managers
When we checked out the receptionist was perfectly charming - what a difference it makes. If this had been the case as we checked in it would have been so much more enjoyable.

Room Tip: don't recommend the new rooms
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Mimtremar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
  • Polish first
Worcestershire
Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

I am writing this review on behalf of my parents who stayed here for one night in May in The Coach House.

To start with they couldn't even get a space in the carpark and had to go into the staff carpark.

We were given the keys to our room (or rather an electronic Fob) and went accross the carpark to the Coach House. The building inside can only be described as student accommodation.. Very dated furniture and dangerous stairs if you're carrying heavy luggage or if you have had a few to drink!

The electronic system is very strange but you get the hang of it after a few tries. The room itself was incredibly dated. I wouldn't have minded but they paid £125 for this poor room!! That didn't even include a full English!!! There was even a dirty tissue left on the bedside table. The wifi was awful and only worked when sat right by the window. The bathroom was the only decent thing.

We were waiting for a party in the evening so decided to go and get a drink from the bar, however we couldn't even do that because the bar was closed. The very minimal staff that were on that evening were very good, apart from the 2 girls sat behind reception when we checked in who looked very bored and just sat there chewing gum whilst we waited for somebody else to see to us (Levi) and a special mention to Ryan who worked INCREDIBLY hard.

All in all the accommodation in this hotel is pretty awful for the price.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank WorcsGinge

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Springfield, Missouri
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Spent three very nice nights during April 2014 here, and could not have been more pleased. My only beef is that the full English breakfast was not a part of the nightly-room rate, as it typically is (at least I think) at most English hotels. I ate breakfast (and paid the supplement) one morning while the next I took breakfast at the nearby Cafe Rouge. My room was very quiet--it faced onto the back and not the busy street the hotel's front faces. --I'd suggest a room on the back. No elevator (lift), so if that is a concern, stay on the lowest floor and enter through the restaurant where there are less steps than elsewhere in the hotel. Key/security system takes a moment or two to master. All in all, great experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back.
1 Thank EislerFan
Reviewed 29 April 2014

Beware!

I arrived at the hotel at about 11pm on a Saturday evening, exhausted and wanting nothing but a good night's sleep. It turned out that my room was directly above a bar where, from midnight onwards, there was a very noisy group of guests. I rang Reception at about a quarter to one, only to be told that (a) the problem was common with guests staying in my room, (b) that some people who had stayed in my room had refused to pay their bills, and (c) that there wasn't much they could do about the noise.

When I got home, I emailed the hotel's General Manager (Annette Percival) to complain that the hotel thought it appropriate to put people in a room so close to a noisy bar. Her reply did include an apology, but she went on to ask if I had requested a quiet room when booking. An astonishing attitude! She managed to make it sound like it was my fault that I was given a noisy room!

When I pointed this out, she replied saying that people were entitled to enjoy themselves -- a point I never disputed as my only objection was being in an adjacent room to them -- and she then said "if the noise had gone on beyond 2pm I would have understood your complaint". Again, an astonishing attitude.

At this point I asked for details of her line manager so that I could take my complaint further, but she didn't reply.

So, use this hotel if you don't mind being kept awake by people enjoying themselves, use it if you don't want to get to sleep before 2am, and use it if you are happy with a hotel manager who doesn't know the meaning of customer service.

Otherwise, beware.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room!
3 Thank Neil S
Corner Brook, Canada
Reviewed 26 April 2014

It's not as nice as the pictures they've posted and is pretty average in general. It was good to have breakfast included in the price but you have to pay about eight pounds for a hot British breakfast. It's just outside the city centre (I was working at one of the institutes, a 25 minute walk away). The restaurant serves very tasty food, although the service was very slow. (Most restaurants in Cambridge are over-priced, as is this one, so eat outside the city centre if you can.) Another concern with this hotel is that they have a notice at the front desk seemingly encouraging you switch to their much cheaper hotel up the road. We asked for this option but were told we couldn't do it as we had already checked in. Not sure why there was such rigidity.

Reviewed 24 April 2014

Stayed here when on a course in Cambridge. Hotel was clean and tidy, staff were helpful. No special features and quite dated. No problems, but nothing great either.
I would not discourage someone from staying here, but would neither recommend it.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 April 2014

Spotlessly clean and comfortable room and excellent restaurant food. We were also very impressed with the level of courtesy of the staff who were very obliging and helpful - especially Claire in reception. The only downside was the continental breakfast - a full English would be nicer!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple