“A cosy hotel well situated for exploring Cambridge”

Arundel House Hotel
Ranked #25 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 3 November 2008

The hotel overlooks the river, and is about 10 to 15 minutes' walk from the main colleges. We stayed in November, and the hotel was very cosy throughout. We stayed at the front, with a lovely view over river and parks. The double glazing ensured that we were not troubled by the light traffic on the road. The staff were well informed and consistently friendly and efficient. The hotel had been recently refurbished and redecorated and was clean and bright. The food was well prepared, reasonably priced and swiftly served. We would certainly go again and would recommend it to friends.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
There are newer reviews for Arundel House Hotel

Reviewed 3 November 2008

I have stayed at the Arundel House before and thought it good previously, though not outstanding - but I was almost put off by the weight of hostile reviews. It seems hard to believe I was staying in the same place - and having stayed several times it can't be a one-off fluke. We paid £90 for a double in a great location in the centre of Cambridge. We arrived an hour early but that was no problem, the staff were courteous and friendly (as in my experience they always have been) and carefully explained the slightly unusual key card. We had a lovely bay window room overlooking river - which surprisingly wasn't too noisy. It is a bit faded but if they refurbed it would cost £150 a night (no doubt plus parking, which is currently free - unusual in central Cambridge) and I'd have nowhere to stay. Breakfast is included, starts helpfully early (7am) so we could have it before making an early getaway, and includes lots of fruit. I'm more than happy for the Arundel House to remain a secret - maybe that's the real reason for the other reviews?

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 October 2008

This is not a hotel I would have chosen but I was booked in by my hosts at the university. Cambridge suffers from a shortage of modern budget hotels because of restrictive city planning and this is a good example of the consequences. A business like this would not survive in a more competitive environment. I arrived around 10pm and was offered a single room that reeked of some kind of disinfectant. It was in the attic and I haven't seen a single bed so small since my student days when the college authorities were concerned to enforce celibacy. I asked to be moved to another room and there was a prolonged conference at reception while they decided that they really were not likely to get customers showing up for a twin in the basement and could let me have this for single occupancy. At least this room only smelt musty, although the twin beds had clearly seen better days and did not offer much better prospects for a night's sleep. I can't comment on the breakfast because my 06:30 call never happened and I had a desperate scramble to get my 07:30 train without shave, shower, etc. The one thing I would say is that the very young staff team were very nice and friendly about everything - they just didn't seem to have much idea about how to do their jobs. In my book that is a management failure, not theirs.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 25 September 2008

French couple, we stayed in that hotel for a few days and were quite nicely surprised after all the bad reviews we read about that hotel. We chose that hotel because for the price we wanted to pay all the other hotels were full up.
We had a room on 3rd floor overlooking the CAM, it was quiet enough, the room was large and we even had an extra small room (we did not need it though). The bathroom was clean with a small shower- We found that the water was not very hot and after mentioning it to the desk, the problem was taken care of rapidly and nicely.

I would however not recommend this hotel if you have problems climbing stairs because you will not find any lift.

The hotel is nicely located and close to downtown, walking thru a nice park.

Engish not being my mothertongue, I hope that this review is understandable.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
1  Thank malt01
Reviewed 22 September 2008

I see that complaints from one year ago echo what I experienced this August. They are obviously not being taken seriously or acted on by the owners and is clearly reflected in the staff (mostly charming young people) who lack leadership and purpose. The rate we paid we were certainly expecting a higher standard. The dated rooms, dirty stained tiles in showers, complicated security /room key system not being satisfactorily explained to newly arriving guests, complicated route to room, no offer of help with a bag (and a white haired lady) all led to a disappointing stay. White wine was continuously warm - even over 2 days of wedding guests and very hot weather. TV reception very poor on the most basic of channels. The fire exit from some rooms involved getting down on hands and knees and climbing through a hatch into another bedroom then out by some means - surely not acceptable in this day and age. Cooked breakfast extra charge outrageous. Toast cheap and nasty.
In short , for a hotel in such a prime location major TLC is required to entice many guests back.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank foxfield2
Reviewed 21 September 2008

Great location, very average bedroom, TV unable to watch as poor reception. Poor continental breakfast for the price. Usual cereals, yogurt and grapefruit then a choice of one roll OR one croissant OR two slices of cheap bread toasted. Cooked breakfast a further £8.00 /£9.00

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank rodford
Reviewed 27 August 2008

This is not a hotel that you would book for a romantic getaway but it's a great place to stay if you want to be close to the centre of Cambridge without paying a fortune.

The rooms are unspectacular but clean. The staff are nice enough. There's plenty of parking to the rear. There's a nice view to front over the parks. Breakfast was adequate - we opted to save £7.50 and go for the free continental breakfast, which was fine.

Having been originally booked into the Ashley Hotel - its sister establishment - we decided to change to the Arundel House. Very hard to compare the two. The Ashley seems more like a B&B whereas the Arundel is a proper hotel, albeit a little faded.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business