“Disappointing”

Ranked #24 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Surrey
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 26 July 2014

I stayed here with my daughter when we attended a family party, and we were really disappointed. The rooms and general hotel are dated and in need of some TLC, a smell of school dinners pervades the hotel and we had a dirty towel in our bathroom.
If we were paying a bargain rate I wouldn't have minded as it was just a bed for the night, but for the price would have expected at least a decent breakfast. Unfortunately only a continental breakfast was included in the price; if you wished to enjoy a cooked breakfast it was an extra £7.95 which I thought was a bit mean when we'd already paid £135.
I really don't mind paying for good quality but I hate feeling ripped off. To add insult, when I checked out I noticed a sign on the desk advertising rooms at around £85/night at their sister hotel down the road, including free wi-fi, cooked breakfast etc (the wi-fi didn't work in our room) When I asked the receptionist about that she said the only difference is that the other hotel doesn't have a restaurant. The fact that they feel the need to advertise that leads me to think that they have had complaints before....
On the plus side, the staff I encountered were all very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Go to the hotel down the road.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank EllieRose76

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Polish first
Surrey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2014 via mobile

Our room was in the Coach House which is behind the hotel across the car park. A cheaply built addition with small rooms and tiny bathrooms. Our room was however kept very clean by a cheerful East European staff member. We arrived on a Sunday evening, the service could best be described as reluctant and charmless, except for the Mexican barman, thanks to whom we managed to get a meal; nobody else seemed interested. This standard of service continued at the 'pre-packed' self-service breakfast the next day. It is a pity that with such a good location and the opportunity to show off this lovely city to so many visitors, this hotel fails on nearly every aspect of what it could do.

Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank hkoldforge

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Out of the 100 plus hotels that I have stayed at over the years this is without doubt the worst on all counts: The first room that I was given had the TV attached to a side wall so that you could only see it by lying with your head where your feet should be! The window could not be left open at night because it led onto a large veranda which was the fire escape for all of the rooms on this floor. when the window was shut at night it quickly became insufferably hot. The room was also incredibly noisy being next to stairs which were in use 20 hours a day! I managed to get 4 hours sleep. The next day I was given a different room: It became obvious that the TV problem was the same for all rooms. Again I could not leave the window open at night. This room had an added feature: It was above the kitchen, which had the noisiest fans in the roof that I have ever heard, making it impossible to go to sleep until 11pm when the fans were switched off. The next problem was the heat: Being above the kitchen the room just got hotter and hotter. The temperature reached 88F at 1am! How you are supposed to sleep in a room this hot is beyond me, and the kitchen fans started up at 7am again. This time I managed to get 3 hours sleep! when I complained again I was told that no other rooms were available. I thus told them that I would stay one more night (being unable to find another hotel at short notice) but would be leaving the next morning. The hotel manager then told me that their rules stated that I had to give 48 hours notice of cancellation! I told him that I was leaving regardless and would pursue the matter with the owners (whose names he would not give me) and the credit card company. What a dire place. Be warned: All the back rooms in the hotel are very noisy and are like saunas. You cannot leave your window open unless you want to take the risk of being burgled or worse!
The food was average at best, and the much publicised bar had no draught beer, only flat lager or bottles. Do not stay at this hotel if you consider getting some sleep is a major part of a hotel's purpose! Also, do not eat and drink here. After 3 appalling nights, I have never been so pleased to leave a hotel before.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Andrew A
Broadstairs, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 July 2014

The location of this hotel is superb, just a stroll across Jesus Green into town and free parking (which is unheard of in Cambridge). I stayed here for 2 nights in July. I had a single room on the third floor (no lift and quite a steep staircase). Taking luggage up and down was very difficult and no offer of help from reception. The room (318) was small but adequate, if a bit dated. However, there are no fans on offer and it was VERY hot all night. They advise keeping the window shut while you are away as there is a fire escape outside - which means by the time you get back to the hotel in the evening, it is hot and stuffy. The shower door did not shut properly and there were hairs on the wall in the shower which was a bit gross. Breakfast was a fiasco - anyone having only continental breakfast had to sit in the conservatory rather than the dining room - however, there was no cutlery or cups, and the coffee was served in thermos jugs which were not re-filled very quickly. The waitress did not seem to understand much english either, which didn't help! Overall, this is a very average hotel which is let down by, it would appear, poor management and no attention to detail. Also, please note that there are steps which have to be negotiated throughout this hotel as it consists of several old large houses - it is not suitable for the aged or disabled.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
3 Thank pippysmum
Llanelli, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed at Arundel House for three nights on a weekend break. The reasons I chose this particular hotel were the location, and the fact that there was car parking. The room was small and so was the bathroom. It was kept immaculately clean, with toiletries provided. The staff were pleasant and efficient at all times (despite reviews to the contrary). It could get a little bit noisy in the mornings when the neighbouring rooms were using the showers, with water pipes creaking under the strain. The continental breakfast was adequate, nothing more. Full breakfast was an additional £7.95, which was expensive (Weatherspoons pub across the road, Tivoli, served breakfast from £2.49). All things considered, it was a great break. apart from the weather, but can't hold the hotel accountable for that!

Room Tip: The hotel advertises rooms at the sister hotel, The Ashley, 5mins. away. These are larger, cheaper a...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank jayne g
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2014

I stayed here recently for two nights, i think every room in the hotel was full. My room was in an additional building which looked mainly of wooden construction to the rear of the main hotel building and adjacent to the car park. I could here every noise in the adjoining rooms and from the car park outside. the shower was either hot or cold with nothing in between. The light in the main room did not work and was not repaired when reported, if I wanted the light on I had to turn on the light in the bathroom which also turned on the extractor fan. The room was clean, Service was average, not fast but adequate. The whole place has a period feel about it; some would say dated. I would agree parts of the hotel need bringing up to date.

Breakfast was nothing special just your average cooked breakfast.

If you are staying here try and get a room in the main building.

As others have stated the best thing about this hotel is its location which I can't fault.

Room Tip: Aim for the main building.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank M B
Bushey
Reviewed 7 July 2014

My wife was here on business, I was just there to keep her company and do family tree research.
The staff are absolutely wonderful, charming, attentive ... the room is a bit small, and was rather warm (in June), but comfortable. Shower OK, though it would help if there were a shelf to put the shower gel on (there is one outside the shower but it necessitates opening the door completely).
Restaurant excellent, as is the Conservatory, and the breakfasts were wonderful. Location good for wife walking to work

Room Tip: No lifts. If you have dodgy legs book a ground floor room. As it is the restaurant and conservatory...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business