“Great location, nice character”

and 1 more site!
Arundel House Hotel
Ranked #24 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
New York City
“Great location, nice character”
Reviewed 21 August 2014

I stayed here for 4 nights with my daughter and left feeling very satisfied. It is generally listed as a 2 star hotel but the views we had were more 4-star- we faced Jesus Green and the Cam. This provided great people watching, and we had a large floor to ceiling bay window facing it all. The hotel has tons of character- from the bay windows to the large conservatory & garden downstairs. The interiors and furniture are definitely on the simpler side, but I so enjoyed the people-watching ( and no, it wasn't noisy, even facing the street) and the general ambiance of the hotel that it actually exceeded my expectations. We also were fed well at breakfast ( continental) and found the staff helpful. For a Cambridge stay I was very glad I did not end up at a modern hotel and for the price point thought this place was perfect. One note however- there is no air-conditioning, but our bay window caught breezes and we were perfectly comfortable.

Room Tip: I personally would ask for a bay windowed room facing the Cam again ( though this also faces the str...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank jktNewYorkCity

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Polish first
Surrey
Reviewed 19 August 2014

My husband and l had a really enjoyable stay here. The hotel staff were all very friendly. It was in a very good location with plenty of parking. The rooms were a good size although a shelf in the shower would be useful and also something to put the toilet bag on in the bathroom would also be good.
We ate in the conservatory one night, the food was good and very reasonably priced. Breakfast was plentiful although my husband said that some cold meats would have gone down well!
I would definitely recommend this hotel.

Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 August 2014

The hotel is very smart in an old world sort of way. The room was in an annexe and although dated very comfortable indeed. A very good location opposite Jesus Green which is ideal for shopping and exploring Cambridge. The was plenty of parkng behind the hotel. We dined in the conservatory restaurant two nights running and it was fine and not overly pricey.

1 Thank PaulCFCW
hong kong
Reviewed 6 August 2014

Within 10 -15 minutes walk into the centre of beautiful Cambridge; right on the river and with on-site parking, the location is fantastic. However, the service leaves a lot to be desired: at front desk and morning breakfast, I couldn't help feeling as if I was in the way. Not good enough.
However, the room was very comfortable and as long as you are prepared to lug large suitcases up a number of stairs, I would still recommend the place as a base for this city,

Room Tip: Probably best to get a room facing the carpark and away from the staircases, to ensure a good sleep.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank hkannie27
cape cod
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I have read some mixed reviews of this friendly hotel, and do not understand why.
The location is superb; we walked everywhere during our four days in Cambridge, and never needed a cab. Room #104 was spotless and spacious with high ceilings and a large Victorian window overlooking the River Cam and Jesus Green. It was quiet and on the main floor. The bathroom was clean, large, and served with apparently endless hot water. We had all of our all breakfasts and dinners at the hotel; the menu was varied and interesting, the meals were prepared to a high standard, the service was friendly and attentive, the wine list offered many good choices, the coffee was hot and strong, As a dinner starter the sea bass was so good I ordered it every night! A continental breakfast is included, but we opted for the hot prepared meal every morning at an additional cost, and it was excellent. Annette, the manager, and her staff were very friendly and helpful at all times.This hotel has been created out of a row of Victorian homes over a period of years, which gives it a special charm; I imagine no two rooms are alike. Our experience at this very nice hotel could not have been better.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 104 for three nights. Large, clean, comfortable, overlooking the river Cam and Jes...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank bruceandkim
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I really liked this hotel. Great location with ample parking. We stayed in the Coach House and the rooms were big, comfortable and quiet. Breakfast in the conservatory was good and the staff were friendly and helpful. No complaints from me.

1 Thank 51Wendy
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 August 2014

We chose to stay in Cambridge overnight, but I think the hotel was charging "Cambridge " prices! I think the hotel was over- priced as it was tired looking and tatty. The bathroom needed redecorating especially around the shower. Shower gel and milk seemed to be on ration and for the price charged I think a full breakfast should be included.

2 Thank Paul B