“Will stay somewhere else next time” 2 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Arundel House Hotel
Ranked #22 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Woodborough, United Kingdom
“Will stay somewhere else next time”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2009

Arundel House was Okish.

I didn't like the room as I could hear the person/people/elephant upstairs (and on the stairs) and it was noisy (I am a bit intolerant I admit!).

I had a single bed in a single room which is fair enough but I found myself thinkly fondly of Premier Inn and their double beds.

Shower room was OK but there ws rust/mould around the door and the control knob of the shower wasn't very clean.

Continental breakfast ws included and was OK.

Staff helpful - eg would I like a hand with my luggage which was good.

Location good for colleges etc.

Thought it was uninspired and I really didn't like their insistence of running a £100 charge through on my card for a £70 room in case I incurred extra charges - not charged to my card (cancelled at checkout) but I resent the implication that I will have food, drink etc and then run away without paying...

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank YTSnout

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
  • Polish first
Swindon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2008

Having read some of the reviews wasn't expecting too much. Hotel a bit dated, but room was quite large and adequate and hotel clean. Staff were friendly and the continental breakfast was adequate. Location is excellent and has free parking.

Mr Woo's verdit: Niceness of the location.

• Liked — Near the town centre and free parking
  • Disliked — Getting beat by Histon in the cup.
  • Stayed November 2008
Worcester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2008

Arrived on coldest weekend of year to find the heating was not on in our very cold room, which was in top floor attic (no lift). When queried this, was told that it was not due to come on till later! I said that this was simply not good enough and asked to speak to the manager who then said that the heating would be switched on. Other things that added up to an unpleasant stay - ash on saucer in room / smelly bathroom / shabby and dated decor / broken window pane in room / mould on windows and shower / insistence on taking £150 from credit card on arrival despite room costing £90 - when objected to this was told that it was in case we had any extras during our stay and that it would be refunded on departure, It was, in fact, but I find the practice objectionable despite being assured that "all other Cambridge hotels did the same".
I should say that the staff were all polite and tried to be helpful, but obviously the senior management need to address these many issues. On the whole, very disappointing stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Heating problems/ shabby
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jkat_8

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Essex
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 November 2008

Stayed for three nights whilst attending a course.

Positives:
located about 10 minutes to the main town.
Food in Conservatory and Dining Room nice and not expensive
Bedrooms clean but a bit dated
Good views over the river Cam

Negatives.
Lots of trainees who although pleasant were struggling to understand what I wanted and breakast was wrong 2 out of 3 mornings
No lift to my room on third floor
Newspaper failed to arrive 2 out of 3 mornings no apology just an offer that I could collect one from reception!

This is not a cheap hotel and it has such potential, there is obviously an excellent kitchen which is let down by the front of house staff. It is such a shame as this will probably stop me from going back.

• Stayed November 2008, travelled on business
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2008

The hotel overlooks the river, and is about 10 to 15 minutes' walk from the main colleges. We stayed in November, and the hotel was very cosy throughout. We stayed at the front, with a lovely view over river and parks. The double glazing ensured that we were not troubled by the light traffic on the road. The staff were well informed and consistently friendly and efficient. The hotel had been recently refurbished and redecorated and was clean and bright. The food was well prepared, reasonably priced and swiftly served. We would certainly go again and would recommend it to friends.

• Liked — Central site ,helpful staff, and comfort
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Cambridge, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 November 2008

I have stayed at the Arundel House before and thought it good previously, though not outstanding - but I was almost put off by the weight of hostile reviews. It seems hard to believe I was staying in the same place - and having stayed several times it can't be a one-off fluke. We paid £90 for a double in a great location in the centre of Cambridge. We arrived an hour early but that was no problem, the staff were courteous and friendly (as in my experience they always have been) and carefully explained the slightly unusual key card. We had a lovely bay window room overlooking river - which surprisingly wasn't too noisy. It is a bit faded but if they refurbed it would cost £150 a night (no doubt plus parking, which is currently free - unusual in central Cambridge) and I'd have nowhere to stay. Breakfast is included, starts helpfully early (7am) so we could have it before making an early getaway, and includes lots of fruit. I'm more than happy for the Arundel House to remain a secret - maybe that's the real reason for the other reviews?

• Liked — Location, price, free parking
  • Disliked — A bit faded
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2008

This is not a hotel I would have chosen but I was booked in by my hosts at the university. Cambridge suffers from a shortage of modern budget hotels because of restrictive city planning and this is a good example of the consequences. A business like this would not survive in a more competitive environment. I arrived around 10pm and was offered a single room that reeked of some kind of disinfectant. It was in the attic and I haven't seen a single bed so small since my student days when the college authorities were concerned to enforce celibacy. I asked to be moved to another room and there was a prolonged conference at reception while they decided that they really were not likely to get customers showing up for a twin in the basement and could let me have this for single occupancy. At least this room only smelt musty, although the twin beds had clearly seen better days and did not offer much better prospects for a night's sleep. I can't comment on the breakfast because my 06:30 call never happened and I had a desperate scramble to get my 07:30 train without shave, shower, etc. The one thing I would say is that the very young staff team were very nice and friendly about everything - they just didn't seem to have much idea about how to do their jobs. In my book that is a management failure, not theirs.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled on business