“Awful- dont bother”

Ranked #22 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Somerset
“Awful- dont bother”
Reviewed 9 August 2009

We stayed here with family and friends for a faily wedding at Kings. Other than location this place has gone downhill big time. On the day of departure tyhe cleaners burst into my mums room at 9.30 am when she was in the shower saying they were just checking whether she had left- checkout is 10.30!!! My brother arrievd with his family and they were given keys for a room already taken. We had a block booking for a number of rooms. They were jumbled all over the hotel. We were given no help with bags even though my wife is nearly 8 months pregnant- the room was on third floor with no lift. The bed was awful. It was unbearably hot, one or two radiators seemed to be on even though it was mid august. My brother and family was seated for breakfast and then told to move by another member. No matter what time of day it was there was always someone hoovering. The list goes on- appalling for £100 a night. Don't bother!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Polish first
Kent
Reviewed 6 August 2009

Hotel location fine but the scenic view of the river did not have the rider that there is a busy road right in front of the Hotel so views and noise go together.

Room adequate but shower ensuite old and small. TV ancient and only 5 channels. Room doors bang shut and you can hear above, below, sideways when folk are using their rooms!
Room service was at £4.50 pp even if you had paid for breakfast so that would add on £9 to the total. Absolutely disgraceful.

Price steep for B&B (continental only) full was an extra £7.95. Continental dreadful, tinned fruit, cheap bread and packets of cereal, plus some fresh fruit. Coffee from a machine so not fresh.

Staff ok not as friendly as they could be - seemed rushed and a bit flustered at breakfast time.

I would not recommend unless you can get a cheaper deal (we paid £95per night).

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Hartford, Connecticut
Reviewed 4 August 2009

I spent 3 full days at the Arundel House Hotel and I would definitely choose this lovely hotel for a future stay in Cambridge.
The positives :
The location overlooking the river and a park just a few minutes walk to downtown.
Bus stop just across the street.
Victorian charm wondefully maintained, relaxing environment.
I had a room in the back and was very quiet. I could rest well. Clean room nicely fournished.
Lovely restaurant with veranda. Nice, professional waiters. Prompt service.
Resonably priced food.
Great continental breakfast included in the price of the room.
The negatives:
No elevator. So if you get a room on the 3 rd floor ( top floor ) and you have a heavy suitcase it is not going to be easy to carry it upstairs. Stairs are steep which is normal for a older building. I was offered help by the reception staff but having just a handbag I had no problem carrying my belongings to my room.
No air conditioning. I had to sleep with the window open and it was ok but the emergency escape stair was immediately outside the window and the first night I must admit, being a woman, and travelling solo, I was quite nervous that someone could get in.
I later realized that the gate of the hotel was closed during the night and that provided a certain degree of safety and privacy in a town that is anyway considered very safe.
I didn't like the food at the restaurant. I had dinner there for two nights. A total of four different courses and I didn't like the food. I guess this is just a matter of personal taste.
I found other options and good restaurants in town for lunch.
While the staff at the restaurant was very nice I found the staff at the reception quite cold and unwelcoming. Cutting short on answers and formalities.
Now putting the positives and the negative on a scale I still had a wonderful stay and I would definitely return to the hotel in the future.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
oxford
Reviewed 17 April 2009

My family decided to spend a weekend in Cambridge to see friends, revisit old haunts and show our au pair and children where we had been to university. We arrived tired after a long drive and were shown into a dark underground room that smelt of damp and had mould all over the walls> There were not enough beds for us all to sleep in! We were told that this was all they had and we had to put up with it - our alternative was to get back in the car and drive home again! We complained and argued and refused to stay in the room - eventually they gave us one single room for our au pair and a bigger room in the strange annexe down the road (where there were still not enough beds!) in the morning when we came to check out we tried to negotiate a discount for a less good room and at least as good will but were faced with extreme public rudeness and a complete refusal to give us anything off our bill. So, just don't go there!

• Stayed May 2007, travelled with family
3 Thank oxfordtolly
Woodborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 February 2009

Arundel House was Okish.

I didn't like the room as I could hear the person/people/elephant upstairs (and on the stairs) and it was noisy (I am a bit intolerant I admit!).

I had a single bed in a single room which is fair enough but I found myself thinkly fondly of Premier Inn and their double beds.

Shower room was OK but there ws rust/mould around the door and the control knob of the shower wasn't very clean.

Continental breakfast ws included and was OK.

Staff helpful - eg would I like a hand with my luggage which was good.

Location good for colleges etc.

Thought it was uninspired and I really didn't like their insistence of running a £100 charge through on my card for a £70 room in case I incurred extra charges - not charged to my card (cancelled at checkout) but I resent the implication that I will have food, drink etc and then run away without paying...

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
1 Thank YTSnout
Swindon
Reviewed 10 December 2008

Having read some of the reviews wasn't expecting too much. Hotel a bit dated, but room was quite large and adequate and hotel clean. Staff were friendly and the continental breakfast was adequate. Location is excellent and has free parking.

Mr Woo's verdit: Niceness of the location.

• Liked — Near the town centre and free parking
  • Disliked — Getting beat by Histon in the cup.
  • Stayed November 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Worcester
Reviewed 24 November 2008

Arrived on coldest weekend of year to find the heating was not on in our very cold room, which was in top floor attic (no lift). When queried this, was told that it was not due to come on till later! I said that this was simply not good enough and asked to speak to the manager who then said that the heating would be switched on. Other things that added up to an unpleasant stay - ash on saucer in room / smelly bathroom / shabby and dated decor / broken window pane in room / mould on windows and shower / insistence on taking £150 from credit card on arrival despite room costing £90 - when objected to this was told that it was in case we had any extras during our stay and that it would be refunded on departure, It was, in fact, but I find the practice objectionable despite being assured that "all other Cambridge hotels did the same".
I should say that the staff were all polite and tried to be helpful, but obviously the senior management need to address these many issues. On the whole, very disappointing stay.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Heating problems/ shabby
  • Stayed November 2006, travelled as a couple