“Home from Home! Excellent value! Excellent Location!”
Review of Bridge Guest House

Bridge Guest House
Ranked #95 of 124 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 May 2009

My husband and I stayed here during a trip last week and we would definitely return again. Breakfast fresh and cooked to order and lots of choice of fruit, yogurts and drinks. Very deceptive from the outside, looks like just ahouse but spreads out as you go in and the bedrooms are very spacious compared to some B&B's we've stayed in! Staff were extremely friendly and helpful and location was very convenient with restaurants and public transport nearby (but walking distance to town very do-able!)
Also free internet and wifi!!! Good value for money - would recommend!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 7 April 2009

After two telephone calls to book rooms here, they still got it wrong. I had offered to pay in advance by cheque, but they insisted on a credit card number, which I gave. Twice, including the day before my guests arrived, I asked if the staff member had what he needed to take the payments from my card, in my absence. Again, he said 'yes'.
When my guests checked out, they were made to pay because "we don't have all the details we need for the card you left us".
I now have to apologise to my guests for these Bridge staff errors, and reimburse them for a payment they should have never been charged at all - very inconvenient.

Run a guest-house: I wouldn't trust these people to run a bath. I'll leave my guests to comment on the premises and their stay: my annoyance is with the maladministration of the staff in handling payments - a theme which I note in some other reviews here. Readers: please ignore the neutral ratings for everything EXCEPT service, as filling these others seems to be compulsory - whether you have anything to say or not !!

(Trip Advisor - why can't I comment simply on that which I know - rather than be forced to make meaningless entries on cleanliness, etc when I was never in the place?)

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank lonesometravellerGB
Bramata, Owner at Bridge Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2009

The two telephone calls were once to make the reservation (with part card details) on behalf of son and daughter ("extended family"?) . We were never instructed to charge the credit card - the card details were only given to secure the reservation. We were only instructed to make 2 seperate invoices - 1 for each room as the guests would be claiming their expenses for one of the rooms.

Reviewed 8 September 2008

Very very helpful staff. Helped us greatly with an overnight stay with a 9 month old baby, and allowed us an early check in to enable us to feed baby before the wedding we attended in Cambridge. Confirmed when they received the deposit cheque... just put our mind at rest from booking to check out. Ok, its not the most modern interior, but it has everything you need. The breakfast is your typical B&B fare - and set us up for our journey home! Looks to me like the B&B bedrooms are at the back of the property , so no problem with road noise. Enjoyed our visit to Cambridge!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2008

Big Problem!
We had booked a family room 30 days in advance for 1 night (90 Pounds) and got a confirmation. We arrived at the B & B at 6 p.m. Then they said that they didn't have a room for us, because they didn't get an answer to their fax in which they asked if we would still come. They send the fax on our arrival day at noon. First: we didn't give them a fax number. Second: they knew that we come from Germany. It isn't possible to arrive in Cambridge within a half day from Frankfurt/Germany.

Stayed: July 2008
3  Thank 19lustig00
Bramata, owner at Bridge Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2009

It's perfectly right for guests to express their experience whether good or bad - but it is also right to tell the whole story. Yes, there was human error on this booking - which when management became aware did their utmost to rectify before the family's arrival. When contact to confirm the reservation failed, we quickly found another guest house very close by and secured a reservation - just INCASE the family showed up. All staff that day/night were alerted that it was possible this family may arrive in which case they were to be redirecred to their new accommodation. It was most important to us that we did all that could be done under the circumstances to ensure their safe arrival to their new accommodation. This family was NOT left stranded. Thousands of guests are satisfied and very happy with our friendly and helpful services and return to us on a regular basis.

Reviewed 4 August 2008

Guest houses like this one should not be allowed to operate in the 21st century. I paid £45 for a basically clean but drab, dowdy, old-fashioned, inconvenient, noisy, uncared for, tatty single room. The breakfast offered no choice other than more white toast, coffee when I ordered tea, an egg that tasted like a mouse mat, a poor quality sausage, OK bacon and a few baked beans. There was no cheery welcome nor anyone around to say goodbye to at 9am. I'm sorry, but.....!!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with friends
1  Thank dochertyLondon
Bramata, owner at Bridge Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2008

we are quite a busy guest house with many returning guests/visitors who value our service, high standard of cleanliness and good quality breakfasts - always cooked fresh to order. Our main goal is to ensure that ALL guests experience a pleasant and comfortable stay and we do our utmost to help in any way we can.

Reviewed 21 October 2007

I spent two nights in this guest house and couldn't get away fast enough. To say the place is overdue for a refurbisment is an understatement. The paint work was no longer white but very strongly off-white. The paint on the ceiling was peeling quite badly. The carpet had obviously seen better days. The proprietor is certainly not hotelproud.

There were though, saving graces - helpful friendly staff and cleanliness. Although when I offered a cheque and bankers card as payment I was made to feel as if it wasn't good enough and it took longer than necessary to proces by reception staff.f The ensuite shower room was clean if only basic and could have done with a new shower head.

Stayed: September 2007
2  Thank AppleandPears
Reviewed 26 April 2007

This is a very basic B & B. The common areas are actually more than decent, but the rooms are very basic, drab, and unimpressive. If you are looking for a quaint, lovely English B & B, this isn't it. If you want a decent rate, with a reasonable walk from city center, and a minute's walk to the cinema and leisure center, then this is certainly passable. We stayed in the back, so noise was not an issue, but it is indeed literally on a major road, near a petrol station, the least romantic setting imaginable.

• Stayed: April 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank NewYorkScooby