“Shocking experience - literally”
Review of Regent Hotel

Regent Hotel
Ranked #3 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Mature couple
“Shocking experience - literally”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I got an electric shock from the hairdryer and on closer examination there were bare wires which must have touched my wrist - resulting in the hairdryer exploding leaving me with a large sooty mark and quite shaken. Surprised such a thing could happen in this day and age of Health & Safety.
This incident happened about 7.30pm on Saturday evening - the receptionist was very good but the duty manager could only be contacted by phone. As this hotel promotes itself as being a privately run hotel, owned by the same family since 1950, I was somewhat disappointed that the owner did not make the effort to contact me

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Carol098

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (101)
  • Polish first
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 November 2013

We were returning for a college reunion and twin bedded rooms are hard to come by in Cambridge, so I booked this 5 months in advance. I was very glad I did, as the hotel sold out!
We stayed in room 208, on the second floor at the front of the building. There is a lift. I was a little worried that being on a main road it would get noisy. But the double-glazing is excellent. The room itself is quite compact but has everything you need, with tea making facilities, a TV, alarm clock, hairdryer and dressing table. The bathroom had a great shower. The décor is a bit dated, but everything is clean. The only real problem was the room being really warm, even though we'd turned off the heating. It was very mild for October, but I wouldn't expect to have to turn on air-conditioning to cool down!

The location is great. For anyone who knows Cambridge it's opposite Downing College - this did draw some blank looks from fellow grads - but when I said 'just along from Pizza Hut' that seemed to do the trick! It's only a 10 - 15 minute walk to the station, and is really convenient for the town centre too - about 5 minutes. The breakfast room overlooks the greenery of Parker's Piece at the back.

The real plus was the staff who couldn't have been more helpful, from the receptionist to the night porter. Nothing was too much trouble and they were genuinely friendly. When I rang ahead to ask about soya milk and gluten-free options for breakfast, they were very accommodating. They even picked some decent brands too! Much appreciated, as was storing our luggage after checkout so we could do some exploring before our train.

All four of us commented that we'd definitely file away The Regent as a place to stay in Cambridge.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Elizabeth_Darcy
Reviewed 13 October 2013

After having studied in Cambridge for a semester years ago, I always have to go back at least once a year. The Regent is then our home. We have stayed here many times now, always for a couple of days sometimes also with our parents.
We love the location. It is in the centre, and you easily walk to Cambridge's shopping area, the beautiful colleges and the Cam. It is also next to Parker's Piece where the bus from National Express from London Stansted (and other airports)stops. Perfect.
It is clean. The cheapest rooms are a tad bit small, but big enough to spend the night and relax before going out again etc.
Only thing to improve is breakfast. Although sufficient to fill your stomach, it is not something to really look forward to. When we stay at the Regent for a couple of nights we tend to have breakfast somewhere else on one of the mornings. They have some fruit, bread (jam and cheese),toast, a pastry or two and cereals but it is not very good quality. Not bad, just not so good you think ' yay, hotel breakfast!' when you wake up :)
However, I would recommend this hotel as it is good value for money especially compared to other hotels in Cambridge where we/ our friends had to stay when the Regent was fully booked.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Yellina
Columbia
Reviewed 3 October 2013

We completed our second stay at the Regent Hotel in late August 2013. We chose to stay at this hotel a second time after a fabulous first visit in August 2007. We find this hotel to be extremely convenient to both the train station as well as the center of Cambridge and tons of shops & restaurants. It is only a .8 mile or so walk to and from the train station, which is very convenient. It is a 10 minute walk, at most, the the fun parts of Cambridge and the many colleges. Parker's Piece is a great park located directly behind the hotel. It was fun to watch all of the activity going on in the park each day. A very peaceful place indeed.

The hotel itself is small but clean. We booked the small double room that is indeed small! There is very little room to walk past the foot of the bed and the bathroom is very small as well. However, we did not come to Cambridge to hang out in the room so it really didn't matter to us. We like the charm of the hotel as well as the nicely appointed rooms. We had a nice coffee / tea service in the room as well as a large desk. The room was clean and more than met our needs.

The hotel has free wifi but it was spotty at best in our room. We had better service down in the lobby / breakfast area.

The complimentary breakfast was simple but lovely. We had no problem finding items that we would enjoy (cold cuts, cereal, fruit, pastries, etc.). We never had a problem getting a table or running out of food. The breakfast area also doubles as the hotel bar during the evening. The front desk staff also services the bar. The bar had a decent selection of wine, which was greatly appreciated.

We will definitely stay at this hotel again during a future visit to Cambridge.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Diane A
Lancashire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 27 September 2013

The Regent is a good choice if you want to be near most of the colleges, the main shops and the river. There is no daytime parking at the hotel, so we dropped our cases at the hotel and then I parked for free near Grange Road (which required a 15-minute walk from the parked car to the hotel). Buses from the railway station go past the front door frequently.

Breakfast is continental and reasonable. The wifi reception was intermittent. Our "executive" room was large, comfortable, well-equipped and quiet, and overlooked the large park.

Will be delighted to return if my expenses are paid again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Northern_fellwalker
London
Reviewed 23 September 2013

Spent two nights here to see friends. Hotel fine, nothing special, but no complaints. Expensive for what you get, but its seems Cambridge is a pretty pricey place to stay. Decent sized rooms. Hotel a little warm for my liking. Breakfast is continental, decent amount of choice. Staff friendly. Would be happy to return, but would probably also look to see if somewhere else free first.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
Bristol
Reviewed 13 September 2013

I will be visiting this hotel a few more times on business over the next few months having stayed 2 nights already.

It was booked for me by the company I am working for and I was pleasantly surprised by the reviews I saw on Tripadvisor as not all the people I work with provide good accommodation! I was booked into a room labelled a 'small double' and indeed is was a double and equally small but very well appointed and more than adequate for my needs.

On the ground floor there is a comfortable lounge area and bar where breakfast is also served. Staff are friendly and helpful. Only downside for me is the lack of a cooked breakfast option as I rarely eat 'bakery goods' although they did have cheeses and hams as well. There are plenty of restaurants nearby for evening meals.

Room Tip: Try to get a view of the park.