“Very quaint, but bring earplugs”
Review of Regent Hotel

Regent Hotel
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Charming, lovely hotel overlooking Parker's Piece. We got an executive suite with a pullout couch for our daughter and the room was quite large by European standards. Beautifully appointed furniture and decorations in the rooms and throughout the hotel. The staff were all very helpful.

Only complaint is the patrons leaving nearby bars/clubs between 12am-3am, are quite loud, and would wake us up each night. Finally I started wearing earplugs and that remedied the problem, but if you're a light sleeper, beware. Also, the walls are quite thin...one night I could hear the man in the room above us snoring, and the next night a couple was having quite an argument at 3am above us. I called the front desk and asked if they wouldn't mind asking them to lower their voices, and the operator kindly did.

Breakfast is in a sunny room overlooking the gorgeous greenery of Parker's Piece and had enough to chose from to please all. The servers were very kind and helpful.

Would recommend, just with earplugs too.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 April 2014

I stayed at the Regent Hotel on 3/21-3/24. I originally planned on staying at a B&B out of the city center, but decided I needed lodging closer in to coordinate with a friend who was working in Cambridge during my visit. I checked several hotels and decided on the Regent, both for location and character. I liked the idea of staying in an old, renovated building, and also in an independent hotel rather than a chain.

My initial online inquiry was quickly responded to by receptionist Liz Skeels, Liz continued to provide assistance throughout my stay as well as some interesting chats. She is a delight to deal with and a real asset to the hotel. I stayed the first night in a standard double overlooking the street, but heard very little noise. It was good sized with a spotless bathroom and a design of mathematical formulas, which I thought was perfect for a university town. It also reminded me of how poor I was at maths.

I moved to an executive suite on the 3rd floor for the next two nights. The room was large enough for two to stay comfortably, with a balcony overlooking Parkers Piece. The weather did not allow use of the balcony, but I enjoyed kicking back in the comfortable chairs and observing all the activities. I also enjoyed the tea selection and water (still and sparkling) provided with the suite. The walls were papered with scenes of Cambridge which I enjoyed, but thought the formulas of the previous night were more creative. The suite had a larger, but also spotless bathroom, and combined with the other amenities I thought was a good value for Cambridge, a not inexpensive city. I slept soundly all three nights in the very comfortable beds, which is unusual for me when away from home.

Breakfast was the same each morning but I found the selection allowed for some variation. I had some combination of cheese, toast, fresh fruit, pastries and tea. There was also several types of cereal and meat. The servers were pleasant and efficient and the area was very clean. An adjoining room had newspapers and tourist information, which I read in comfortable chairs next to a fireplace. It was a nice place to relax as was the breakfast area, which was very bright and overlooked the park. The free wifi throughout the hotel was consistently strong in the rooms and common areas.

I was very pleased with my stay at the Regent and would recommend it to others. It is an excellent base from which to enjoy the attractions of Cambridge. The staff responded quickly and graciously to my requests (e.g. an adapter, more tea) and also moved my luggage when I changed rooms. I walked everywhere within the city, from the airport bus to the hotel, to the sights, shopping, restaurants and just wandering about to see how the city has changed since my previous visits. Thank you to the team at the Regent Hotel for an enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Executive suites are worth the expense.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Can only reiterate what I said in 2011 - still gets 5 stars from me.

If anything better - as I haven't had a repeat of the problems with the aircon controls.

And see photo for the stunning room décor - but you're in Cambridge, so what else would you expect?

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank nuttingcdef
Reviewed 25 March 2014

I get very anxious about booking hotels without personal recommendations and I was very nervous booking this solely based on online recommendations. But I was very pleased! Hotel location was great. We were less than a ten minute walk to the university and center Cambridge with all the shopping and restaurants you could possibly need. The room seemed to be newly renovated and was very clean. The bedding seemed new...the sheets were soft and very white and the comforter was very warm and cozy. The bathroom was much bigger than I expected and also seemed very new. The shower and glass doors were spotless...no mildew anywhere.

The lobby was small and quaint. The breakfast area was cozy and comfortable and the included continental breakfast had decent options including ham/cheese/salami for those of us that need our protein in the morning. Also part of the offerings were cold and hot cereals, fruit, yogurt and breads. They also had gluten free options including a GF cereal, granola and snack bars!

The staff was nice but I just wish they were a little more helpful with restaurant recommendations. They suggested a couple of lower end places nearby when there were several nicer options in center Cambridge. (Just walk around and view all of the menus that are posted outside!) Other than that, I have no complaints and would definitely recommend this hotel...it's clean, comfortable and convenient!

Room Tip: Our room was on the side of the main road. On Friday night it was loud when people were walking home...
Reviewed 24 March 2014

Good affordable option in Cambridge, particularly now that the rooms were recently remodeled, so everything is very new. Not a luxury establishment, more of a small, friendly, family hotel.

We opted for a larger room facing Parkers Piece and were glad we did since it was plenty sizable (particularly vs. our closet sized room in London), away from street noise, well lit/sunny, completely clean, generous bathroom size. Within walking distance of historic town center, also close to the bus station if you want to take short day trips out of town to nearby estates (well worth doing). Price was fair for the city given other options - most decent hotels in town are quite pricey. Breakfast okay, continental only.

Staff consistently friendly and helpful with bus and taxi information/arrangements. Only problem was tub drain not working well (surprising given recent remodeling).

Room Tip: Facing Parkers Piece is nice, worth upgrading to larger room if available
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank aavery
Reviewed 17 March 2014

Regent Hotel is affordable and has a boutique feel to it- beautifully decorated. Since the price difference wasn't much, we stayed in the executive suite and were surprised with how modern and luxurious it was- tons of organic teas in the room, along with a very nice, spacious bathroom and balcony facing the park. Although it isn't right next to the university (about a 10 minute walk), it is by all the restaurants and nicely situated between the train station and the sights. We were highly pleased with our choice to stay at Regent Hotel and would recommend it to anyone else looking for a nice stay in Cambridge!

Room Tip: Pay the small extra fee to stay in the executive suite. It is quieter, nice, and has better views.
1  Thank Christina B
Reviewed 10 March 2014

This hotel is in a great location, with plenty of places to eat and drink on the same street and only a few minutes walk into the town centre.
We stayed in the 3rd floor executive suite, purely for use of the balcony. Spotlessly clean albeit very small room but really nothing 'executive' about it at all. Certainly not the fruit bowl which with it's wrinkled, old fruit, was quite honestly embarrassing. The bed was really comfy and the linen exceptionally soft. The decor, in my opinion, was horrific - I couldn't help thinking the room had undergone a cheap 'makeover' with disasterous results. No idea why the management have chosen such a mix of style and colour but it does NOT work. The price of the room was perhaps a bit steep but generally in keeping with the rates in Cambridge.
Overall, this hotel served it's purpose - great location, access to a balcony and very, very clean. The continental breakfast being served to our room was a bonus and felt like a real treat.
I think we would return.