“wonderful little hotel”
Review of Regent Hotel

Regent Hotel
Ranked #6 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 28 March 2010

My wife and I spent three nights at the Regent Hotel during late March, 2010 when we visited our daughter who was studying at Cambridge. We found the hotel delightful. The location couldn't have been better. It was within walking distance of all the major colleges. Our room was very clean and well appointed. The breakfast was quite nice, and the staff were all extremely accommodating.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank WitzinCville

Reviewed 27 March 2010

Rooms are not big, hallways are very narrow, between an elevator and a room door you have to open four different fire doors which with two suitcases carried in your hands is almost impossible. Sounds familiar? England. Or more specifically, a traditional, family style English hotel. And that's exactly the way I would describe Regent Hotel. I stayed there about six times over last two years and met the same, very polite and helpful staff. Hotel location is fantastic, cross the street from dozens of cozy restaurants and park which is located just behind the hotel building. You have to like England to like this hotel. I do. Otherwise go stay at Holiday Inn..

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 March 2010

Well, I actually decided to book into the Regent hotel based on the reviews I read on the Web. The reviews gave the impression that I will end up in some high-class hotel in Cambridge - the price suggested that as well. But how wrong I was, I found out after check-in. Although, in a very good location (walking distance to train station and city centre) it is more like an old-fashioned guesthouse than a hotel. I reckon they have only a few rooms. The reception hall was basic, the staircases and hallways like a labyrinth in an old house. The room was very clean, but quite small. Most annoying for me being tall was the short bed: my feet were hanging out at the end. I really don't like that. The bathroom was OK, but small, too. There was nothing of the fancy things you'd expect of a hotel in that price category. Breakfast was really poor as well with only some basic continental offerings. All in all, a nice enough guest house which is totally over-priced. I felt ripped-off.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank aspren01
Reviewed 28 February 2010

We had an incredibly small room which was also hugely overheated. Thankfully the window did open and the street noise wasn't too noisy after 1.30am. We had to ask for second set of towels. There were only two teabags, two milk sachets, cheap biscuits etc. i.e. a remarkable lack of generousity. The breakfast was poor - contintnetal only which wouldn't be a problem if good quality but it wasn't: tinned grapefruit segments, dreadful cheap bread for the toast, awful croissant, cheapest jam/marmalade. In additon the lighting in the public areas is clinically bright and reminiscent of an operating theatre which with a constatly playing TV makes the ambience tiring.
This hotel is spotlessly clean, in a good positon, and the staff are professional. But is dreadfully overpriced. If it had been £30/£40 a night cheaper it would be a fine find, but it wasn't and it isn't .

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cybertrip
Reviewed 18 February 2010

good location, very clean, nice and comfortable room, very good and proffesional service

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 February 2010

We have just returned from a three night stay at The Regent. From the minute we arrived everything went according to plan. We had an executive room and were allowed check in early. The room and bathroom were of excellent size. The continental breakfast was ideal for us as we are not into fry ups. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful. We had left two books in our room and were contacted by the hotel about this lost property. The location of the hotel could not be better it is very central to the city and also to the train station. I would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank corkcoupleIreland
Reviewed 15 December 2009

Stayed for two nights at the Regent. Hotels in Cambridge have crappy websites and high prices. The Regent was small rooms with clean bathrooms and very cheap wifi. So I was happy.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled on business