“Acceptable”
Review of Aylesbray Lodge

Aylesbray Lodge
Ranked #99 of 123 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Owner had some helpful points about Cambridge. I'd rate it at three stars and thus, wouldn't describe it as a bargain, but we were comfortable enough for one evening. Breakfast ok, but I'd shop around a little more and see if you can do better.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Aylesbray Lodge

Reviewed 21 October 2012

After having been booked in here for a week I was (understandably) very nervous about staying after reading all the awful reviews. It's a B&B - not a 5 star hotel - my room was clean, reasonably sized and DID have an en suite (although I would have walked if it had not had one!). I particularly liked the soap and shower gel in the bathroom! The bed was not the most comfortable but was OK and the room was a bit noisy but I always travel with ear plugs so that was not a problem. The television was good, wi-fi access a bit slow at times but worked generally and I was given the password on arrival. George was delightful - a real gentleman who could not have been more helpful - I asked his advice about many things (as I have never been to Cambridge before) and his advice was always spot on. Breakfast was fine - the full English was a bit too fried but his poached eggs were excellent! I would stay again happily!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank 927Saly
Reviewed 4 July 2012

This place was booked by our company as there were no other options - a park bench would have been preferable.

We were charged for 6 nights even though we only stayed for 5 nights. Repeated attempts to get this money back have failed. The owner was extremely rude, claiming that he was tired and could not deal with the problem as he had been up for 10 hours. Poor baby!

Very rude and completely unprofessional - avoid this place like the plague.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Andy935
Reviewed 15 June 2012

I have never written a review before on this site but felt compelled to impart my experience of this place to the world.

My colleague booked this place for a business trip to Cambridge. We arrived at 10pm, but let the owner know in advance we would be arriving at that time. Before even saying 'hello' the owner began to berate my colleague about the lateness of our arrival... very strange. Even stranger was that he insisted upon calling us boys when we were both 25 years +! And he then said that we had to give one of his lady members of staff 'something' for her working late!

An unconventional start to the stay, however we persevered but couldn't help stare in disbelief at the post-it note on the door marked with our room number in blue biro- was this place for real? Was Beadle going to jump out and scare us even further with his astonishingly small hands?

The room itself (room 10... according to the post-it but i'm sure these can be changed quite easily) was tiny and had two camp beds decorated in lovely floral bed sheets. In fact, thinking back, I don't think there was an inch of the place not decorated in garish floral print with the faint whiff of old people's home crossed with the luminous essence of Willy Wonka's lickable wall-paper.

The walls were paper thin and the room had a tinny echo to it which was quite comical, the drawers were dirty and it was just a bit rubbish to say the least.

You had to share a communal bathroom just like a hostel, this was dirty and had mould on the walls as there was minimal ventilation.

Right... rant over. Needless to say, we made a sharp exit in the morning remembering to never return!

(by the way, tripadvisor asked for a review on the swimming pool and fitness centre... unless they mean the puddle in the driveway and the tin of baked beans dumbell, then they were non-existent)

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
5  Thank Si B
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Booked this hotel on behalf of my partner who stayed in a room that resembled a coffin. The room was cheap - £39 but they TOOK £50 off my card 4 days after for some apparent wine spillage. Tried to discuss with the owner who was extremely rude and hung up on me. THIEVES!

Room Tip: Do NOT give them your card details!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Lloydrachel
Reviewed 13 April 2012

I am not going to explain all the details of my experience; I just will say that it is not normal the owner try to open the door when we are in wihout knocking it and the same was done by the cleaning lady...I couldn't believe they were opening the door when we were dressing up.
The owner was rude and completely unpolite, the rates were completely over market and the place was really noisy.
Suddenly at 12 at night all the lights switched off so I had to go to bed forced by this situation.
For 10 pounds more I completely recommend you to go to any good hotel like Radisson Blu or something like that.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank PEDRO JOSE P
Reviewed 24 December 2011

The place is bad and very cold, heating system work six hours then close a further six hours, so you have to spend most of the night without heating system in the cold winter not only that but they give you light useless blanket.I told them about but they did not pay attention, they promise to give more blankets but it was all lies. Frankly the room service extremely bad .. In the last two days I decided to leave Cambridge because I was done with what I came for, so I asked him to return my money , but refused claiming that it is premature check-out, although the guest house was almost empty for most of the days I stayed in. I don't recommend this place for anyone to stay in; as it has substandard service, the owner is rude and not honest

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business