“Appalling Customer Service”

Ranked #94 of 122 Cambridge B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Appalling Customer Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

I unfortunately found myself at the mercy of Aylesbray Lodge's proprietor - a certain George Pippas - when I booked a couple of rooms at the lodge for my family and sadly had to cancel the booking again. I called George within minutes of making the booking to try and cancel the rooms again, and I mean literally within five minutes - only to be subjected to a lengthy monologue about "hotel rules" and because I had booked through bookings.com it was now "impossible" to cancel the booking without a full penalty charge. I called Bookings.com who in turn advised that it was completely up to the owner whether or not he would allow me to cancel the booking. I then called George again to see if I could not appeal to him and come to some arrangement but was instead shouted at repeatedly for this being my mistake and how he will HAVE to charge me the full 100% rate and finally he compared me to a thief saying "if you steal a bottle of wine from the supermarket you dont tell the police that you will only pay half back!"....I am not sure I followed his reasoning, if anybody is having their money taken for nothing in return it is me. At any rate, I felt the need to warn people away from this establishment as the owner certainly in my experience came across as seriously unhinged, rude and money-grabbing. Would not want to find myself within his hotel. Besides, there are a lot of other, much nicer, more reasonable hotels and B&B's in much better locations around Cambridge.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Claudia N

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

I booked this AFTER reading some terrible reviews so arrived with husband and elderly father expecting Basil Fawlty but it was not nearly as bad as reported. However when I politely enquired if by any chance he had a ground floor room for my father, the owner, in an annoyed tone said "That's NOT what you booked on the internet!" No need for the attitude. After that he was very nice and obviously is trying hard to please, if seeming a little stressed about things. Our room was not ready even though we arrived at 2.30 pm which was a drag because we had to change clothes for an event at 3. Our room in the "annex" was fine - quite newly done, clean and with a comfortable queen sized bed, tea/coffee-making equipment. The bathroom was the tiniest bathroom I've ever been in - smaller than a plane's - but it was new and clean. My father's room was a very small single, upstairs in the main house with equally miniature bathroom and much older but seemed clean and tidy. Breakfast was good. 10 a.m. is a really a too-early check out time but I guess they are a small operation and work with a small staff. This is an okay place to stay but is not near the town center and tourist attractions and there are better places for the high prices they charge here - however, Cambridge is incredibly expensive in the summer tourist season so book ahead for more choice. We stay in Cambridge in the winter sometimes and hotel prices are 2/3 less.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Tamworth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 June 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spontaneously decided on Friday night to visit Cambridge (from the Midlands) for the weekend and initially had trouble finding somewhere because of several things going on in Cambridge. We got lucky with Aylesbray Lodge because George offered us a small double/large single room with ensuite for the price of a single and even threw in breakfast. As it was for just one night and the hotel was only 1.5 miles from the centre, it sounded good to us! When we got there at 1pm on Saturday there was plenty of off road parking and George was as friendly and enthusiastic as he was on the phone. Another guest arrived at the same time as us and he settled her in the breakfast room with some juice while she waited for us to check in. Our impression was that the whole hotel was clean and pleasant. It's true that our room and ensuite was small but it depends what you need it for really. It was well stocked and everything worked. No issues with the WiFi connection. George gave us a map of Cambridge marked with the places we wanted to go, bus routes and times and where the good places to eat were. We quickly got our bearings and really enjoyed the rest of the day. Breakfast was all waiter served and freshly cooked for each table, we had the full English and it was really nice food. Again a nice atmosphere all round. If we come back to Cambridge again we'll definitely look Aylesbury Lodge up.

Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Julie P
Norwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2013 via mobile

Tiny room with view of overgrown garden. £95 for same money we had a room with a bathroom bigger than the room the previous week in Mayfair London . Soap dispenser was empty, shower gel dispenser was empty, only half a toilet roll, smallest toilet /shower room, shower head did not fit in holster, extremely tiny room, breakfast not included, still tenner in a taxi into town.
Worst of all the booking confirbation and advertisement on booking site said 11am checkout, the landlord told us checkout was at 10am, so wrong info. Definitely not staying here again. We were in the "annexe", which was a house two doors down converted into rented rooms, and as many as u can cram into one building.

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank SmartDamo

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 April 2013

I booked this place last minute using booking.com - a double room at £55 (reduced from £100) . Four days before our stay my wife was unwell and we were unsure if we'd travel, so I requested a cancellation - George (the owner) was unpleasant to speak to on the phone... he directed me to booking.com for the cancellation. I called booking.com, they informed me it was up to George to authorise the cancellations, so they called George and asked if he'd allow a cancellation. Georege said no.

48 hours later I had a request from booking.com to call George. I did this and enquired if he was able to let the room to someone else after all (foolishly thinking he might have been trying to do something nice in the name of customer relations) , before I finished the sentence George gave me an angry monologue explaining that it was just him and his wife, and they weren't going "to stay in all day, in case I decide to come". I managed to interrupt him and explain we'd be there between 6&7pm - or I'd call to confirm contrary on the day.

I arrived at 6.30pm on the day and met George.. he appeared hard faced and slightly annoyed by my presence. He muttered something about the room being smaller because it was cheap (but on the website it was supposed to be the same as a standard double for two people, just reduced!) , the bed was tiny for a double, and suspiciously there was only one towel and one cup for tea... sounds almost like it was a single room!

The room was clean and the TV worked, the en-suite was pretty grimy and really really small - I almost got wedged between the sink and door upon my exit from the shower! It wasn't that bad though, it was hot and functional - I've seen worst in third world countries.

Breakfast was highly entertaining!

George did try and be polite at breakfast, but I'm an awkward customer and broke his resolve quickly.

My wife is a vegetarian, when she asked the landlady for a fry up with no meat the landlady had a kind of conniption, like she was going to explode into a million pieces - but luckily she over came this complex situation and delivered beans and eggs. My bacon was lovely.. but it was a cheap sausage - no excuse for a cheap sausage in a expensive B&B.. the beans weren't heinz and they didn't use the sausage a break water to protect the egg. But i can't complain, I've had worse breakfasts in third world countries.

At the end of the meal we asked for some more bread (we'd had 1 slice each). George walked by and tossed some granary toast on the table, "This is all the bread I have for you people" he grumbled. We went back to our room for a kip - but then realised checkout was at 10am... so we just packed and left.

2 Thank Grolus
Luton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2013

After booking on laterooms, we contacted the owners to see when we could arrive. The owner replied quickly and advised though said that checkout was 10am-laterooms email states 11am. paid £50 for room only. Breakfast was not offered on arrival. The lady who welcomed us, appeared pre-occupied. we had to wait 5 mins for anyone to answer the door. We were taken to the annexe (a few doors down and not at the lodge itself). The hall and landing was magnolia with luggage scrapes on the wall. Room 4. The room itself was clean, but had cobwebs in some corners. Double bed, very small shower and toilet in en-suite (very small). Room overlooked garden, which was a shame as the garden was very overgrown. The room had tea/coffee facilities and a small flat screen tv on the wall. Upon checking out, at 10am, again we had to wait over 5 mins for anyone to see to us. The gentleman thanked us for our stay-but did not ask which room or even who we were. Again, the word pre-occupied came to mind. OK if you are looking for a bed to sleep in, but that's it. According to website breakfast can be available at additional £8, but you can get large brekkie in town for £5. About 45 min walk from city centre and £10 in a taxi back to the lodge. Puzzled why it is 4 star?

Room Tip: Book room only-on cheap deal website. Not worth full price on website.