“Never Stay Here”
Review of Stationroomz

Stationroomz
Ranked #32 of 37 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I stayed here before an important interview, I wish that I had avoided it. The only positive is that it is near the train station and I do mean ONLY positive. Staff were rude and disinterested. There was no lead linking the television to the ariel socket, I asked at reception about this but no one was interested. The rooms were tiny with no hanging space, filthy bathroom with stains on the toilet seat which wouldn't come off. I doubt the place had ever been cleaned. People outside seemed to need to move wheelie bins all night long so sleep quality was appalling.
I repeat NEVER STAY HERE.

Room Tip: get a tent, it will be cheaper and more secure
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank yenkev

Reviewed 26 April 2011

Terrible stay from start to finish, a very disorganised, unprofessional and unsecure 'hotel'. The only positive thing about staying here is that it is only 40yrds from Cambridge Station, so convienient to get around. Would NEVER stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 17 April 2011

my room was never cleaned, tea and coffee not restocked. The tv was not tuned. The room was filthy. Only positive was the breakfast!
A colleague was also staying and found a labelled key to her room had been left outside in the corridor all night! Very disappointing!

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 March 2011

I arrived with my girlfriend to be greeted by a sign outside the reception 'shed' stating 'back in 15 minutes'. Well, the receptionist was but he then informed us that the room wasn't ready. Check in time was from 1.30 p.m. It was 4 p.m. Rooms had to be vacated by 10.30 so what had happened in the intervening 5.30 hours? Had the staff been holding a seance there? The receptionist suggested that we could wait in the nearby railway station 'as it was warmer there'. I'm still trying to deduce whether this was a serious suggeston or some sort of 'in joke'.

Anyway, a short time later, check in completed without further incident, we were escorted to our room. This was in the basement of the adjoining stable. I opened the door and nearly fainted from the stench of disinfectant. The floor was sopping wet. I half expected to see the standard 'caution - wet floor' sign - but, no. Perhaps I should have skated across the floor, smashed a few bones and sued the hotel...

Having come round from the disinfectant, I surveyed the room. It was adequate, though a little spartan, and the bed was a decent size with a reasonable matress. A good night's sleep and all would be well...

Just to be clear, I recommend that anyone intending to stay here should ensure they've slept non-stop for a least a day before doing so. What, with the floodlights shining through the blinds, constantly banging doors, and lots of people talking in the street outside - the Sleep Deprivation Orchestra was in full swing. Someone coughed in another room. The effect was if someone had stood beside the bed, leant over and coughed in my face. Not their fault of course - blame the parchment thin walls.

The following morning I, bleary eyed, staggered up to the breakfast room. The food was fine but it was hardly plentiful - I'd read about rationing during the 2nd World War but never experienced it - until now. Welcome to the age of austerity. I managed to sneak a croissant and a splash of juice, any more and I would have been wracked by guilt.

According to the website blurb, 'Cityroomz aims to ensure a comfortable night's sleep followed by a light breakfast.' This should be changed to 'Cityroomz ensures a light night's sleep followed by an even lighter breakfast'.

I would only stay again as a last resort.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank PaulAndrew_11
Reviewed 3 February 2011

In Cambridge for 3 nights on business, and was booked into this place by my manager. Reception staff didn't seem aware of what was going on, rooms TINY (barely enough space to spin round), as was the 'en-suite'. Window wouldn't shut properly, noise outside horrific all night, as were the 2 floodlights shining through my window. If I had paid £20 a night I would have expected a hole like this- the travelodge just down the road is cheaper and FAR superior. Avoid at all costs (and also my colleague found blood on her duvet when she arrived)

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank greengarfy
Reviewed 12 December 2010

This place was easy to find. RIGHT next to the station so great if you are getting the train to Cambridge. I didnt hear the trains at all though. Rooms were very small if you go for bunk beds but you wont believe how they make the space work. TV, stool, tea and coffee making facilities, shower, toilet...what else do you need! The double rooms in the basement were bigger. I'd pick one of those next time. Breakie wasn't all that but there is an M&S opposite I think. £5 cab ride into the centre. Would defo stay again.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
Reviewed 26 November 2010

When I booked the cheapest hotel I could find in Cambridge I did not expect such a comfortable stay. Although the room was small (those with a BMI>35 would probably not fit in the shower!) it was clean, warm with surpirsingly good facilities- TV, tea/coffee, fresh towels and soap. Bed was comfy. Breakfast was self service and continental. Extremely good value for money- would definitely recommend.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business