“angusto e rumoroso: impossibile riposare”
Review of Stationroomz

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cambridge
Stationroomz
Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 4 September 2011

(ENG) We stayed in four (two bedrooms) on 16 and 17 August 2011. The rooms are very small (even double): the bed is accessible from one side only. The ceiling is very low and there is no furniture For stand clothes: you have to leave everything in your luggage (if you find where you can rest it). The bathroom is spacious (compared to the room) but rather shabby: some tiles missing and there are signs of mold. The rooms are in a flat basement with a window flap (no double glazing) facing on a alleyway opened to the public passage h24 hours. The most disturbing thing is the noise of the heavy wooden door of a railway office that is right in front of the window. The door is continually shouted all night. Probably have only it would be enough to ask neighbors to put a rubber seal to prevent the crack, but maybe that's too much to ask ... The breakfast is complete, but milk and croissants are not enough for everyone and once finished the staff does not add more; if you want to have your breakfast, you have to wake up very early in the morning. The position is relatively convenient (about 2 miles from Trinity College), but this fact certainly does not compensate the total absence of comfort. Bad for two nights, a torture for longer stays. Do not go there!

(IT) Abbiamo soggiornato in quattro (due stanze doppie) il 16 e il 17 agosto 2011. Le camere sono piccolissime (anche quelle matrimoniali): c'è appena lo spazio per il letto matrimoniale che è accessibile da un solo lato. Il soffitto è bassissimo e non c'è nessun mobile per poggiare gli abiti: dovrete lasciare tutto in valigia (ammesso che riusciate a trovare dove poggiarla). Il bagno è spazioso (confronto alla stanza) ma piuttosto malmesso: mancano alcune mattonelle e ci sono segni di muffa. Le stanze assegnateci erano seminterrate con una finestra a vasistas (senza doppio vetro) a livello di un vialetto aperto al passaggio h24. La cosa più impressionante è il rumore del pesante portone in legno di un ufficio della stazione che si trova giusto di fronte e che viene aperta e chiusa in continuazione anche di notte. Probabilmente basterebbe chiedere ai vicini di mettere una guarnizione in gomma per evitare lo schiocco, ma forse è pretendere troppo ... La colazione è completa, ma il latte e i cornetti finiscono dopo poco e non vengono aggiunti, basta arrivare alle 9,30 e non si trovano. La posizione è relativamente comoda (circa 2 km dal trinity college), ma certamente non compensa la totale assenza di confort. Pessimo per due notti, una tortura per soggiorni più lunghi. Non andateci

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends

Reviewed 2 September 2011

When I booked, in May, 2 rooms in Cambridge downtown for August, Cityroomz was the cheapest hotel I could find.
Anyway, it's more expensive than hotels in towns near Cambridge.
So if you don't mind to go the Cambridge downtown by car or bus or train, it's better to find an accomodation elsewhere.
Cityroomz's position is great because it's next to the railway station and just 15 minutes' walk from the old colleges.
The staff is very helpful and the breakfast is good.
The only problems are the noise outside in the streets and the very small size of the rooms.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2011

Despite booking months in advance and receiving conformation of a reservation we arrived to find that Cityroomz had overbooked and neglected to inform us. As a consequence we were dumped in a random guesthouse for students for the first night without bathroom or equivalent facilities.

Powerless receptionist at Cityroomz was sympathetic but DO NOT expect to be helped in the likely event of being mismanaged by Cityroomz. What is on offer here is basic, tired and overpriced - Horrible experience

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IRS2
Reviewed 26 June 2011

This hotel used to be a basic, convenient and reasonable value-for-money place to stay near Cambridge station. Sadly it's gone rapidly downhill and can now be considered a dirty and poorly run hostel. I won't be going back.

The booking organisation is poor. I contacted the hotel when I booked to ask if I could check-in at 11.30am as I needed to catch a taxi at noon to a wedding (no info was given on check-in time on their website). No response for 3 weeks. I contacted them in the week before my arrival and they finlly responded it was fine to check in at 11.30, although normal check in is 12 noon. I arrived to find the staff weren't expecting me and my room wasn't ready - cue frantically getting ready in a room with a wet and slippery freshly mopped floor. Not ideal.

The rooms are tiny, my single room was actually bunk beds with little space next to them, and a extremely small en suite. The rooms could really use a refresh - the door handle was loose with screws missing; the window didn't shut properly, making the room cold and letting the noise from the station car park in; a window pane was cracked; the door between the room and en suite was very stiff and impossible to close fully; the bathroom was mouldy and the plastic stained. Generally not comfortable.

The worst part was the noise during the night - a large group of guests arrived back at the hotel drunk at around 4am and proceeded to run amock, hammering on doors, playing music and shouting at each other for about an hour. There was no sign of any staff despite they claim to run a 24-hour reception. This meant I had a terrible night's sleep and it felt very insecure to have rioting drunks in the corridor outside a poorly-locking door. Not nice.

The following morning the receptionist was helpful in noting my complaints and said they do have a lot of hen and stag dos staying there, and complints about the noise are particularly common at weekends. Many other people had complained the fact this is basically a hostel (and a poorly-run one at that). The management apparently do not respond to complaints as they are always fully-booked anyway. It seems there is an option to call reception from your room if there is a problem (i.e. you want to tell other guests to shut up but you're in your pyjamas). Sadly there's no info provided in the room on what number to call to reach reception which means I couldn't do this, another useless feature of the hotel.

Breakfast is very minimal, nice enough food but not enough to go round and nobody restocking as milk runs out etc. Location is good next to the station but this hotel is sadly not well run at all. I definitely recommend against staying here.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank rhd23
Operations_Director2, Director of Sales at Stationroomz, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2011

I'm sorry we didn't meet your expectations. I have written to you directly and responded to your comments. It's fair to say we don't agree on everything but we'll work on many of the points that raised.
Our check in time is 2pm. Where we can, if the rooms are serviced, we gladly allow early check ins; however we can't guarentee it. On this occasion to help meet your needs the hotel manager was cleaning your room.
Our rooms are small, we use the word compact throughout our web site and our rooms are just like the photo's, complete with nice beds, arranged in a cabin style.
We do at times have issues with groups who refuse to be quiet. We'll learn from your experience and have amended our procedures already. Unruly groups will be removed from the premises.
In just about all hotels 0 on the telephone always goes to reception. We will add this and some other information to our bedrooms.
Once again thank you for your comments.

Reviewed 20 June 2011

I booked a night at Cityroomz because I was visiting my niece at college. I just needed somewhere to sleep and wasn’t prepared to pay £150 which was the cheapest alternative I could find for that night. I then read some of the reviews on here and wasn't much looking forward to it. However, I have to say my experience was very different some other reviewers, admittedly the rooms are tiny but I found them to be clean and the staff were friendly and helpful. They allowed me to check an hour earlier than advertised and loaned me an iphone charger. If you are looking for a no frills, cheap, safe and clean place to sleep this place offers exactly that.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 6 June 2011

I stayed here before an important interview, I wish that I had avoided it. The only positive is that it is near the train station and I do mean ONLY positive. Staff were rude and disinterested. There was no lead linking the television to the ariel socket, I asked at reception about this but no one was interested. The rooms were tiny with no hanging space, filthy bathroom with stains on the toilet seat which wouldn't come off. I doubt the place had ever been cleaned. People outside seemed to need to move wheelie bins all night long so sleep quality was appalling.
I repeat NEVER STAY HERE.

Room Tip: get a tent, it will be cheaper and more secure