“Never again”
Review of Stationroomz

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Cambridge
Stationroomz
Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
“Never again”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Came to cambridge for a 2 day training course and booked into cityroomz the evening before. On arrival first impressions wernt great but the staff were helpfull. The room was very small basic unclean and noisy. Eventually managed to go to sleep to be woken up in the early hours of the morning (2am) by the sound of keys in the lock and a guy opening my room door ... fortunately i had put the chain across the door which was the only thing stopping this guy from entering my room!!! When i reported this to reception i was told that there was a different key for each room but the staff did have a master key to all rooms, to which my reply was why would a member of staff b entering a occupied room at 2am.... i was told that the room next door to me was unoccupied and it was possible that the member of staff had got the wrong room..... i foundthe whole experience very frightening and unacceptableand only managed to get 2 hours sleep.... not a great start for a training course.... will b taking this further!!

• Stayed April 2013

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Went to Cambridge with my boyfriend. We hadn't previously looked for room before coming so we looked last minute and found cityroomz. On the website it had showed good pictures of the hotel and for the price we were expecting something like Travelodge but on arrival we checked in and we were taken to an underground DUNGEON looking basement floor! We were taken to the first room on the right. Receptionist opened the door and as soonest he opened the door you could say that we nearly tripped over onto the bed. There was not that much space at all and as well there was a window on the right which was letting in a lot of cold air. First thing we tried to do was turn on the portable radiator which was plugged into a wall socket so there was no central heating at all. We had to call reception as our radiator wasnt working so receptionist gave us his portable radiator and took ours away.
The room was dirty it needed a good paint over the only clean thing was the bed sheets. We did had good night sleep but had to wake up to the horror of the room again. We couldn't wait to leave but we had booked two nights and we had to stay.
We couldn't even watch tv because it wasnt working No network coverage on your phone as well you had to go out of the room outside to make a phone call.
The door to the room was so hard to lock with the key that i had to get my boyfriend all the time to lock it for me and even he found it hard.
Now to the breakfast. We went upstairs to the canteen which was on top of reception. Breakfast included croassant, sandwiches were hard as they were there all morning. Tea or coffee weren't really good. I didn't eat nothing on the breakfast table but my boyfriend did and after breakfast spend few hours on the toilet.
Cityroomz is not value for money we wished we had stayed at travelodge and it was cheaper to stay there. I wouldn't recommend this "hotel" to no one !

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Daria Z

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I went to Cityroomz one weekend with my boyfriend. We left our bags at the hotel and went into the town before coming back to check in to the room.
We first thought it was a bit weird when the man on reception took us into some kind of underground dungeon to our room...
There was barely even room to fit 3 people in the room at the same time. We were just amazed at how disgusting the room was... Looking around the walls were dirty, the bathroom was dirty and the quality of the room was just horrendous. There was a tv that didn't even work, and a plug In radiator that didn't really work either.
We spent about an hour and a half in the room before we couldn't bear to stay any longer, and decided to leave. The man on reception didn't seem bothered or even surprised when we said we weren't staying.
I don't know what Cityroomz is but it definitely isn't a hotel, and the price is disgusting for what it is.

Room Tip: Make sure you see the room before you pay for it!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank georgie452
Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 31 March 2013

First impressions are damning. Having glanced at the website, read the list of facilities and paid what i believed to be a reasonable rate (comparable to local Travelodge prices), I was not prepared for the reality of this hotel. One-step up the ladder from a hostel is the only way I could describe this place.

Pros
- Despite everything, I had an excellent night's sleep laid on a couple of mattresses stacked on the floor (see cons below)
- The breakfast room is nicely presented and is comfortable to use (there may be an issue if you can't sit on tall stools)
- (Continental) Breakfast quality is excellent. Far better than I would have expected given the nature and condition of the rooms
- Excellent location if you need to be close to the train station. A 10 minute walk to the nearest shops/restaurants. Taxi or bus to the city centre.
- Recommended for students or labourers - who make up most of the clientele. I'm sure that this place is not designed to attract business travellers like myself (see last point below).

Cons
- Tiny! I could literally almost touch all four walls when stood in the centre of my room. This is what I would expect a comfortable jail cell to look like.
- I'm 5'6'' and my head nearly touched the roof of the shower room
- Worse still, when lying in bed, my feet were touching the end of the bed (wall). Anyone 6 feet tall would not be able to lay down straight. This is not an exaggeration.
- I had a bunk bed room. The top bunk looked ok, but the bottom bunk was made up of a couple of mattresses laid on the floor!
- Wifi was not available in all rooms. You have to go to the breakfast room if you want to use an internet device. It does state this on their website, however it does not state this on third-party booking sites. In mitigation, it appears that they may be in the process of installing a new wifi system, it's not clear whether this would provide in-room access.
- The front door is open all day until late, making any prolonged period spent in the breakfast room quite chilly
- Room condition is worn. No phone, as advertised - not that I needed it.
- Bathroom/Toilet is cramped - you have to navigate around the sink to reach the toilet and the positioning is such that you could quite comfortably wash your face while sitting on the toilet.

- Value for money is awful. One of the main reasons I didn't expect a hostel-type accommodation is that the price point is within the budget hotel range of Travelodge, HI Express etc. which are significantly superior. Spend the extra £10-20. If it wasn't for this last point, I would have put the experience down to a bad choice on my part and not posted this review.

Room Tip: As close as possible to the breakfast room if you want in-room wifi (assuming they haven't insta...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank PenriJ
Reviewed 24 March 2013

We were only staying the one night in Cambridge and didn't want to spend too much. This option proved to be ideal. It was cheap and right next to the station. The town is a short walk away - only the downright lazy would object.

The bedroom was very clean and had an en-suite toilet and shower which was perfectly adequate. I don't like too much heat so the room was fine for mee, but I can imagine it would be a tad too cold for some.

Reception was all a bit impersonal and even though we did leave our luggage there the next day - I had little faith in their safety as the person behind the desk literally was so laid-back he was horizontal. The man was lying down. However, when we went back to get our bags - they were safe and sound. I think that had more to do with the clientéle than the hostel's staff or security measures.

The continental breakfast was better than I'd expected and the place had a nice hostelly-liberal-let's all read the guardian together vibe.

Overall a good experience.

Room Tip: Take something thermal just in case.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 March 2013

Booked the room 10 mins before I needed it at 22.30Hrs, arrived and they were expecting me, quick check in. Located directly opposite the railway station and obviously a converted building. Rooms are basic but have everything you need for a one night stopover. The night I was there it was full of foreign teenagers and very noisy, Breakfast was continental style and considering it is in England the fod was definitely biased towards our continental friends. Didn't stay long in the breakfast rooms as it was full of loud teens. Would use again if I was desperate.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Ballyclare, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 March 2013

The best thing I can say about Cityroomz is that. ..... it Has rooms...
I had originally reserved a single occupancy room, but when looking at their website later I realised that the beds in the room were actually 'bunk Beds'... Never saw this before in a hotel, not even as an option for children... So I upgraded my booking to a double with single occupancy.
On arrival in 'reception' I was not very hopeful that this was going to be a memorable stay... For the right reasons.

The whole place is 'dowdy' & looks like it's been rather a longtime since it was upgraded..

The room was quite cramped, like 'putting a Quart into a Pint Pot'..
The bed was just about OK .... But there was Breakfast to look forward to.. But first some sleep was required to be had... & surprisingly I did sleep pretty well.

Before breakfast there was the 'super shower' ((according to their website) to be sampled.
Now, I'm not really a 'Giant' or 'overly rotund'. But the 'super Shower' fell way short on a number of counts, particularly the lack of space in there.... But ... To be fair, It did have water!!!!

Aaahhh but ....breakfast now beckoned, that was an experience. Cool (nearly cold) coffee, ham & cheese rolls & jam for brekkies, not quite my cup of tea.. Oh there was some cornflakes cereal. & orange juice..

Then I was 'turned out' of my room @ 10;30 even though my booking form said 11;00.. But by ths time I'd had enough of the Roomz, that I was kinda glad to go.. The damp coldness of Cambridge was a better prospect to look forward to, (I thought) than prolonging my encounter with Ctyroomz Cambridge any longer......
Would I return to stay at this establishment again? Don't think so... Unless I was really 'stuck' and had no alternative..

Would I recommend it for you? Well, you can decide, then again you might 'be Stuck' and have no alternative... Up to you.......

For me, I hope I'm not stuck in Cambridge for a while... A very looooooong while...

Room Tip: Maybe you might like 'bunk beds'
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business