“Casual, Convenient, Friendly Hostel”
Review of Stationroomz

Stationroomz
Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 19 July 2013

I stayed here before a job interview at Addenbrooke. I was able to get off the train and see it straight away. The reception is staffed all the time and the guy there was very friendly. It is very casual and laid back. It is just somewhere to sleep, eat, leave your stuff and then go see Cambridge with a bit more money to do so.

PRO:
1. With a plusbus ticket I was able to hop on and off buses all the time as pretty much every one goes past the train station. You never seem to wait more than a minute until one shows up.
2. They let me stay on in their breakfast room all morning post-checkout to use their wifi with my laptop for job interview prep.
3. They also let me keep my suitcase there, including coming back to change and then leave it again until my evening train. Also lent me an iron/ironing board for as long as I wanted.
4. Breakfast was cereals (muesli, corn flakes, honey nut), a jug of milk, a jug of orange juice, bowl of croissants, baguettes with cheese or ham, jams/pot of nutella, those hot water containers with make your own tea/coffee (tetley/nescafe instant). The breakfast room has tall stools and benches - 2 plug sockets.
5. I found my bed comfy, a nice hard mattress. There are no single rooms, even 1 person is given a twin bunk cabin room - it is in fact just like cabin of a ship.
6. If you email them beforehand, they write back asap.
7. Two big towels, one hand towel, two little hand soaps, two soft toilet rolls, a bin, a stool, a tiny kettle with the usual mugs/tetley/nescaf/milk/sugar sachets, a tv, a low rail to hang things and a bible. Oh and each bed has a reading lamp. Also lots of sockets.

NEUTRAL:
1. For £52.50 it was roughly the same price as local B&Bs, but those have shared bathrooms and arn't right beside the train station. I stayed here because the cheaper university college rooms had booked up fast, I could of paid more for travelodge etc but I would have had to pay for breakfast and transport to find it off my late arriving train.
2. It was very small and lots of noisy people about, but I didn't really mind and it was the kind of place where other people strike up a conversation with you - far from lonely! The communal areas are tatty but the room itself was fine, as was the breakfast room.
3. It took my a while of running the shower to get hot water, but there was plenty.
4. You can rent a bike just outside
5. If you don't ask, you don't receive - access to info, iron, hairdryer, remote control etc. They handle complaints well and have an open door policy for reception, where someone always sits.

CONS:
1. If you can't climb stairs, you couldn't stay here. If you are tall, you also might not like it.
2. Even though given the closest room to the breakfast room, I still couldn't get wifi there so had to work in there.
3. Someone was turning my door handle in the early hours.
4. After a day in 30+ degrees heat, it was just as hot in my room unfortunately - only an open window to get some air in.
5. My suitcase was fine, but was under a desk that anyone could get access too - so it's not like secure left luggage, but was free. The bike shop outside keeps bags for a fee, but only until 6pm.
6. If you need a guaranteed good sleep, have a certain standard of living/expectations or would never stay in a hostel, you will be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 16 June 2013

We booked this 'hotel' as we were only going to be in Cambridge for 1 night and didn't want to spend much. The travelodge was over £100 on Saturday night but in hindsight we wished we'd paid the extra. The fees Stationroomz charge for what is a youth hostel are daylight robbery. Yes I expected small but the photos on website do not resemble what you get. The whole place needs redecorating, the carpets are stained, the wood floors are worn away, our shower head holder was broken so you have to hold it whilst you're trying to have wash, the towels provided are like Brillo pads, it is a truly depressing place which I can't imagine anyone enjoying! It is literally somewhere to sleep and bearing that in mind totally overpriced. The ony plus point is its next to the station.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Lottielots
Reviewed 27 May 2013 via mobile

I've left it 24hrs before writing this review so I can make some attempt at a reasoned rationale review. I'm going to fail.

This is not a hotel. I'm not even sure it qualifies as a hostel.

I wasn't expecting much from this place because it's budget accommodation. A leaky tap, a cold shower or other minor defect wouldn't have prompted me to write a negative review (in fact i've stayed in very expensive accommodation with those exact problems and haven't felt the need to complain). Station Roomz in Cambridge is disgusting. It has all the above but what has casused me to write is the state of the bed linen. I woke to discover that I had been sleeping in a duvet covered in multiple dried bloodstains.

I immediately notified the on duty manager. I showed him a photo and took him to the room. He phoned the owner/manager (apparently in the midlands on business). She was to busy to talk to me and suggested I come back the following day. Needless to say I wasn't happy. Things quickly escalated in a full blown argument.

At one point they implied that I or one of my group may have caused it.

Now before anyone thinks I may have over reacted see the attached photos. At the time of writing I haven't heard back from them and was informed at the time of complaint I wouldn't be receiving a refund.

Do not stay at this supposed hotel. Budget prices (and it's not actually that cheap) are no excuse for poor hygiene. I will be notifying Cambridge council to take this matter further.

• Stayed: May 2013
7  Thank Golly_Gosh_Slater
GeneralManager1969, Owner at Stationroomz, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Please accept our apologies, the bed linen (duvet) was unfortunately stained, however the stain was coffee not blood and the duvet should not have been used even when covered with a freshly laundered duvet cover. We have now ordered new duvets and discussed the standards we aspire to with the hotel manager and her team to ensure there is no future repetition of such an incident. We are in a great location by Cambridge Station, offer competitive room rates, and whilst we may occasional slip up, our team are attentive and caring. Kind regards

Reviewed 11 April 2013

I stayed here without reading any reviews purely as a friend was already staying there too. In fairness the staff were very welcoming and polite but really the positives end there. I was handed a remote for the tv with the key which raised my suspicions. The room was tiny and not very pleasant. It was clean however. Thankfully it was merely a place to get my head down after a night out and I was glad the alcohol numbed the experience. The place badly needs some tlc and redesign. I would not stay here again and for £57 this was daylight robbery. It was only worth about £30 max.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Came to cambridge for a 2 day training course and booked into cityroomz the evening before. On arrival first impressions wernt great but the staff were helpfull. The room was very small basic unclean and noisy. Eventually managed to go to sleep to be woken up in the early hours of the morning (2am) by the sound of keys in the lock and a guy opening my room door ... fortunately i had put the chain across the door which was the only thing stopping this guy from entering my room!!! When i reported this to reception i was told that there was a different key for each room but the staff did have a master key to all rooms, to which my reply was why would a member of staff b entering a occupied room at 2am.... i was told that the room next door to me was unoccupied and it was possible that the member of staff had got the wrong room..... i foundthe whole experience very frightening and unacceptableand only managed to get 2 hours sleep.... not a great start for a training course.... will b taking this further!!

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed 7 April 2013

Went to Cambridge with my boyfriend. We hadn't previously looked for room before coming so we looked last minute and found cityroomz. On the website it had showed good pictures of the hotel and for the price we were expecting something like Travelodge but on arrival we checked in and we were taken to an underground DUNGEON looking basement floor! We were taken to the first room on the right. Receptionist opened the door and as soonest he opened the door you could say that we nearly tripped over onto the bed. There was not that much space at all and as well there was a window on the right which was letting in a lot of cold air. First thing we tried to do was turn on the portable radiator which was plugged into a wall socket so there was no central heating at all. We had to call reception as our radiator wasnt working so receptionist gave us his portable radiator and took ours away.
The room was dirty it needed a good paint over the only clean thing was the bed sheets. We did had good night sleep but had to wake up to the horror of the room again. We couldn't wait to leave but we had booked two nights and we had to stay.
We couldn't even watch tv because it wasnt working No network coverage on your phone as well you had to go out of the room outside to make a phone call.
The door to the room was so hard to lock with the key that i had to get my boyfriend all the time to lock it for me and even he found it hard.
Now to the breakfast. We went upstairs to the canteen which was on top of reception. Breakfast included croassant, sandwiches were hard as they were there all morning. Tea or coffee weren't really good. I didn't eat nothing on the breakfast table but my boyfriend did and after breakfast spend few hours on the toilet.
Cityroomz is not value for money we wished we had stayed at travelodge and it was cheaper to stay there. I wouldn't recommend this "hotel" to no one !

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Daria Z
Reviewed 1 April 2013

I went to Cityroomz one weekend with my boyfriend. We left our bags at the hotel and went into the town before coming back to check in to the room.
We first thought it was a bit weird when the man on reception took us into some kind of underground dungeon to our room...
There was barely even room to fit 3 people in the room at the same time. We were just amazed at how disgusting the room was... Looking around the walls were dirty, the bathroom was dirty and the quality of the room was just horrendous. There was a tv that didn't even work, and a plug In radiator that didn't really work either.
We spent about an hour and a half in the room before we couldn't bear to stay any longer, and decided to leave. The man on reception didn't seem bothered or even surprised when we said we weren't staying.
I don't know what Cityroomz is but it definitely isn't a hotel, and the price is disgusting for what it is.

Room Tip: Make sure you see the room before you pay for it!