“Greaat value for money”

Ranked #42 of 121 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Aarhus, Denmark
“Greaat value for money”
Reviewed 12 April 2013

When we arrived, we were well met and it didn't take long before we were in our room. Whenever we had questions, the staff was helpful when it came to finding a solution. Overall they offered great service. Although it’s situated a bit outside city centre, there is a great connection by bus for around £2. One thing; The bathroom was a little on the small side.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
London
Reviewed 23 March 2013

I wanted to write this review to redress the balance after some of the previous reviews I'd seen. For a 3-star guesthouse you have to have realistic expectations - and while basic, I found the guesthouse perfectly good in terms of providing a good clean bed, in a warm room, efficient service, and I slept like a log in room 2, which I found to be really peaceful despite being on the main road - and I didn't have a problem with the light (re earlier reviews). Breakfast finishes at 9am which is a bit on the early side (for me), however it's honest food, and while I wouldn't rave about the whole experience, it was good. No soap in the bathroom (which seems odd), but there's shampoo/shower gel and conditioner in the shower. We paid what we had been quoted, which was £70 for a double inc breakfast for one night, and while it feels a little expensive, we made a last minute booking and I guess Cambridge is a popular destination and that's the going rate.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
East Anglia
Reviewed 6 December 2012

I chose this place because it was close to Addenbrooks. It took just a few minutes to drive to the hospital and the roads were quiet on a weekday morning at 8.30. This is Acacia's main advantage because I wouldn't stay here again. On arrival I had quite a wait before the door was opened and was then subject to a few short sentences, none of which included 'welcome'. I was supposed to be impressed that "all our guests have their own front door key so they can come and go" (whoopdee doo) "That's your room there" - points to # 1 by the front door, and that was it. The owner was off like a shot leaving me to let myself into my room. I then spent the next five minutes wrestling with the curtain pole which fell off as I drew the curtains. Then I had to listen to a screaming shower fan which comes on when the light is switched on. Thankfully it stopped doing the screaming after I'd used it a couple of times.
The bed was comfy and the road noise subsided by bedtime. There is no hairdryer in the room, but I had taken my own. There is no plug socket close enough to a mirror to use whilst drying hair. The room itself, with a single and a double bed was pleasant enough with white IKEA furniture. The bathroom was rather small, especially if three people were using the room. I was given a reduced rate as a single person, but at no time was I told that breakfast was NOT included in the price. The website also clearly states "breakfast included" so I think I can be forgiven for expressing surprise when £5 was added to my bill next morning with not one word of explanation. Not one word of anything much at all! I felt like I was just another credit card passing through - extra charge for the use of this too.
If this is one of Cambridge's better establishments then it is poor show.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank DerbyshireElaine
Reviewed 5 December 2012

I've been in lots of hotels and guest houses and have never written a review before but,because of my experience I've decided this will be my first ,to warn others of the terms of this hotel.
I arrived in Cambridge on Tuesday afternoon ,looking for someway to stay until Sunday morning,I knocked in the door ,and they had room 2,
I paid for 5 nights.
It is positioned under the canopy ,which is lit until about 1am,it makes the room seem like its still day. When it's switched off there's a street light which does exactly the same thing.
Blackout blinds would solve this problem
But because of the canopy smokers, smoke under it. So you can hear their conversations as you try to rest.
It's positioned next to the front door (which slams quite often),and is under the stairs, which seem to be in constant use.
They don't supply any shower gel.
On Wednesday ,I found out I had to leave on Friday,I asked if I could transfer the days I paid for to the next week,as I'm going to be down here for awhile.they said " NO,we only give refunds if cancelled with at least 7 days notice,it's our hotels policy"they did say that if they let the room out they'd refund me (Of course they will).
I've stayed in other places and just about all of them have a 24hour cancellation policy.
So please be aware of their rip off policy, before parting with your hard earned money.

• Stayed November 2012
2 Thank Martin164swift
Newbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2012 via mobile

Very clean rooms and nicely laid out. Two things missing for us; a mirror near a socket (or in the room itself) and soap in the bathroom. The outside awning looks tired but inside is bright and fresh. Owners are lovely and friendly and parking no problem. Breakfast was nice and lots of serial choices.

• Stayed October 2012
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2012

A friend and I stayed at the Acacia for two nights as we were attending a wedding not far away. We were greeted with a warm welcome and our bags were carried to our comfortable room. The bathroom was very small but clean and there was a TV and tea and coffee making facilities . We had a twin and the beds were very comfortable.
The cooked breakfast was lovely, the poached eggs were probably the best I've had and the bacon and sausages were grilled not fried. There was a choice of cereals and spreads for the toast.
There is a bus stop just round the corner to get you into town and a nice pub just down the road.
All in all a very nice place to stay but maybe a little out of the way if you want to get into Cambridge, although it's only 20 mins by bus.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Lymington, Hampshire,England
Reviewed 16 November 2011

Good parking and B&B easy to find. We had a room at the back of the Guesthouse. Very quiet and well fitted out with a good range of TV channels, wi-fi in the room, comfortable twin beds, adequate though not very powerful shower.

Everything was very clean - when my wife plugged in her phone charger behind the bed even the skirting boards behind the bed had been dusted.

Excellent "British" breakfast. The eggs were poached and just right (for me at least), nice bacon, sausage, beans etc. I wish I'd had the tomato too - my wife did and it looked and tasted good.

Nice furniture in the breakfast room, helpful and friendly welcome from Terry, a good stay.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back