“Alpha Milton - the Marie Céleste Guest House”

Alpha Milton Guest House
Alpha Milton Guest House
Ranked #95 of 121 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Alpha Milton - the Marie Céleste Guest House”
Reviewed 13 March 2012

My usual Cambridge B&B being fully booked, I found this one on the web without checking it on Trip Advisor. Mistake!

The only human contact I had with the place in a three-night stay was with the pleasant young man who checked me in and showed me up to my clean, comfortable and fairly spacious room. He also gave me the password for the wifi, which unfortunately didn't work. I never discovered the correct one, because after that I never saw a human being in the place. There were no notices about breakfast times, but on the first morning, a Sunday, I went down at 8.00 and found the Dining Room door locked. I went down again at 8.30 and 9.00, after which I took myself off into town to buy breakfast in a coffee shop. When I returned that evening, the bed had not been made.

On the Monday morning, I found the Dining Room door open, but no signs of life. I hung around for ten minutes, periodically coughing loudly and calling "Hello!". No luck. I repeated the experiment half an hour later, then took myself off into town ...

On the third morning, the morning of my departure, I found the Dining Room door locked again. Since I had paid in advance on the web, I returned to my room, packed, left the room key in the door, and took myself off into town ...

A bizarre experience. NOT RECOMMENDED!!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank Stephen_Mennell

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
London, UK
Reviewed 1 August 2010

I stayed here with my daughter when we went to the Cambridge Folk Festival for the day. We were welcomed warmly on arrival, offered tea or coffee and a choice of rooms. We chose the smaller room overlooking the garden, the room was clean and freshly decorated (though not exactly designer boutique style) , the bathroom was fine, the shower was clean and worked well. The beds were not great, they could do with replacing the mattresses soon, but not actually uncomfortable and we slept well. There is off street parking in front of the B&B. The proprietors were exceptionally friendly and helpful. We only stayed one night but they were happy for us to check in early (11:30-12:00), leave our car outside the following day while we went into Cambridge, and call in to use the bathroom before finally leaving.
It was about a mile to the centre and to the bus stop for free buses to the folk festival (though we could probably have got the C1 from down the road straight there), quite a pleasant walk, and we felt safe walking back at night. We didn't have breakfast as I get the impression it is discouraged (cost £10 extra and served between 8-9, which was fully explained on the phone when booking).
I would stay here again when visiting Cambridge. I hope they get plenty of business so they can afford to upgrade the beds before my next visit!

• Stayed July 2010
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 24 July 2010

The Guest House and location were just average. Found the owner's manner very abrupt and unfriendly. Have stayed in accommodation offering a more central location and far better value in beautiful Cambridge previously, so was extremely disappointed with Alpha Milton.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Danusia10

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Reviewed 26 September 2009

We stayed at the Milton for a weekend away at the beginning of September. The house is basic, but clean, all you really need for a weekend stay. The manager was very friendly and helpful, and the breakfast was good (the Traditional English). Ample off street parking (they let us leave our car parked there all day after checking out so we wouldn't have to pay for street parking)

Generally good value for money, although if I was visiting again I would spend a little more. If you just want somewhere quiet to rest your head, then can't complain.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank G_and_T_Traveller
Reviewed 16 January 2008

Dreadful dump (also known as the Alpha Milton, to keep it at the top of lists) which should be closed down. Like others, I foolishly paid upfront, including a 5% surcharge by credit card, only to find a miserable, squashed room in the eaves, crammed with beds, and surely contravening fire safety rules. We paid £180 for two adults and three children, including a largely inedible breakfast. Arranged at short notice, while the busy Cambridge festival was on, this was the worst place we've ever stayed in the UK, and I could have kicked myself – not to mention the lackadaisical manager/owner – for calling ahead and booking it without checking TripAdvisor, paying on arrival without inspecting the room, and not succeeding even in getting a refund of the difference between what we paid and the maximum quoted price at the time, which was £168 (management did not respond to emails). Visit Cambridge, the local visitor bureau, should be ashamed of themselves for advertising it http://www.visitcambridge.org/visitors/wheretostay.php.

• Liked — Leaving in the morning
  • Disliked — The fact that the place is operating as a guest house and may even attract bona fide foreign tourists.
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank Yankari
chrystala, owner at Alpha Milton Guest House, responded to this review, 4 June 2008
we do advertise that payments are made on arrival,most guest houses take the payment before arrival.as for the yard we dont have one just bautiful lawns.for brakefast im sorry you have to wait but some times it can not help it .In your oppinion the room was overpriced you did not have to stay with us if the price was to much for you.
In all am sorry to see your stay was no as you wanted
Reviewed 15 October 2007

Was forced to stay here one night.
Small room and even smaller bathroom.Although there was a shower but it was more a trickle rather than a shower!
Braekfast aws very limited. bread tasted awful. The road to the car park is full of deep ditches and if you want to keep your car's suspension safe do not attempt to park the car.
Horrible experience

• Stayed October 2007
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank shrink64
awful is a strong word, thank you for your coments anyway.as for payment we have a legal contract when you book to provide you with a room and you dont have to stay but have to pay for your room if you dont cacil 72 hours prior to arrival date.