“Not reconnended”

Brooklands Guest House
Ranked #97 of 124 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 October 2012

I had read the reviews for this place after I booked so knew what to expect The bed was comfortable and the room was clean. After the first night .the central heating was put on so it was lovely and warm to come.back to after a cold day out, But the decor was very putdated and dingy;: definitely in need of decoration.,The owners and staff were not very friendly and breakfast was a choice of 3 cereals and poached egg on toast. As we were there for a week this became very boring after a while. The plumbing had worn loose and there was never any hot water in the morning. As the shower was so inefficient we didn't use it. The water was very hot by the evening and there was a barh so we were ablke to keep clean. The wardrobe was so small it was hardly big enough for one person and the drawers in one of the bedside cupboards were broken. We did mention this but did not get a very positive reply.The towels were changed every day whether they had been used or not and the sheets were changed at least once while we were there. We felt this was unnecessary when so much else needed putting right and improving.
The one thing in its favour is the location as there is a bus stop outside which takes you to the station in 10 minutes and the city centre in 20 minutes and the buses are every 10 minutes.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 September 2012

I booked this 6 weeks ago,it was cheap and central enough. I had a confirmation email, booked via the tourist board website and they took a deposit witthin 2 days. Upon arrival we were informed there was no room for us, We didn't have a reservation according to the rather abrupt and rude woman, after showing her the reservation and invoice number she checked, never really gave a reason but blamed it on a "mistake in the booking, they had a new girl doing reservations" She agreed to call round to find us a room, and luckily did up the road. She then gave us the wrong address, so we walked about ten mins up the road, with luggage, only to have to walk back again to get the correct address and then head further up the road. Luckily the hotel we then stayed in, the Alington hotel was FANTASTIC! Don't bother with Brookland, it's not worth the stress.

Room Tip: The number 3 bus goes straight into town.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 August 2012

I booked into Brooklands because it was affordable and accessible. However the service was very poor, and I found the staff to be quite impolite and unhelpful. Was also disappointed with the standard of my room- I am a seasoned traveller, but I expect my room to be clean at a very basic level, and I prefer not to find my shower full of pubic hairs.

I had booked to stay here again on my way back through Cambridge, but decided to cancel the second night, as I was so disappointed. Staff agreed to do so. However, was very disappointed to find, after returning to the US, that they had charged me for the second night anyway (as I booked online they had my card details).

Room Tip: Stay away!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 April 2012

We were initially a bit shocked at the tired condition and decorations when we first got there but decided I give it a go and see how we got on.
The room was generally clean, the beds were that little bit too soft as oft they are in these places. The shower and WC were 'interestingly' located in the room and the decor was perhaps not to our taste.
Breakfast is a choice of continental or (fried) egg on toast. Wait for your tea to stew a bit as its a little weak but it does get there!
Car parking is in the nearby vets (?!) but there are plenty of buses that go by and if you're brave enough to cycle the centre of Cambridge is only a mile and a half away.
We very nearly walked away as soon as we arrived but it wasn't as bad as we feared once we got used to it. I hazard though that the Travelodge just around the corner probably offers slightly more in comfort and room size.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 31 October 2011

This B and B is not good value for money. Rooms are very dated, cramped, and poorly maintained. We had no hot water on arrival. Service was rude and abrupt and a far cry from the friendly B and B service you would expect. Avoid this.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank helenamazon
Reviewed 30 October 2011

Upon arrival I was rudely told off by the landlady for calling the number displayed on the front door under a sign saying 'please call' !! Landlady informed me she was not always there and gave me all the keys for our party. She did not greet the rest of the party- I could have let anyone in! Rooms were very small and simple. One room was badly designed with toilet and shower room doors opening into each other. We were getting ready to go out for dinner and there was no hot water. When we informed landlady of this on checkout we got another rude response. Breakfast was simple with little choice. Cost of £68 per room- we did not feel it was value for money at all.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank AmyRogers
Reviewed 2 August 2011

We booked this B&B at short notice as we were attending a wedding in cambridge i had to relay alot on the website for information the discription of the room as boutique is false there is nothing boutique about this B&B , We arrived on the saturday the lady had given us the code for the door and left our key in the room on opening the room door it hit the corner of the bed not a good start the room was very small and shabby, the bathroom leaved alot to be desired as the door to that also opened onto the bed and was very cramped and had mold growing on the shower walls, We also had no window but the old back door which opened to a small enclosed area that housed the drainage hole for the whole house so every time anyone flushed the toilet or had a shower all we could hear was the water entering the drain outside our door, the bed was very uncomfortable and the side tables were covered in dust, Sunday we got up feeling rather wirey after a poor nights sleep ready for breakfast we both asked for a full english only to be told that that would be an extra £5 each this is not stated anywhere on the website we declined to pay the extra and had eggs on toast which was very greasy the other option to us was cereal. We paid £70 pounds for the room and we were expecting an experience to honour that amount of money but this did not happen we would never recommend this B&B to anyone and i think it should be renamed B & Cereal not bed and breakfast.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple