“Small charming B&B”

Ranked #94 of 121 Cambridge B&B and Inns
Dallas, Texas
“Small charming B&B”
Reviewed 28 May 2014

This is a nice B&B with easy walking access to Cambridge and the colleges. We stayed in the attic room 2nd floor (level 3 American). It was small, but comfortable. The breakfast was very good. I booked with a Credit Card, but cash seemed to work better for paying the bill. We had free parking and a comfortable bed for a reasonable price. I have read some of the other reviews and yes I can say they might be accurate, but if you want large room w/o character stay in the large hotel chains. I enjoyed my stay here. I was here less than 12 hours and most of the time I was asleep. My Brother and I (2 men) stayed 1 night in 2 twin beds attic. I am 6 feet 3 inches tall and 255 pounds and the bed was long enough.

The location is roughly about half mile walk from where all the sights you want to see are, but it is not a bad walk and there are plenty of pubs and restaurants if you get thirsty, tired or hungry on the walk. There is a nice small convenience/grocery store about 2 or 3 small blocks away I think it was a TESCO Express. This is always a plus for us as we can buy a just before bed beer in our room. I have to be honest this is an older B&B with all the charm. Narrow stair case, small rooms and all, but in the case of our room they made it a very comfortable stay despite the buildings limitation. We still had hot coffee and tea in our room and an alarm clock. The alarm clock was the only alarm clock I think we saw in any of the 6 rooms we stayed in the UK. I felt like we got good value for our money.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 May 2014

I wasn't really sure what to expect so took a leap of faith and booked one night at this Guest House. To say the rooms are small would be an understatement and 2 people navigating the room was impossible. On entry I knew I had made a terrible mistake. On a plus side the owner was helpful and the bed was clean, and it does come with breakfast sort of choice was cereal and yoghurt or eggs and toast which is fine. If you just want a bed for the night with no frills then go for it, but it makes the Travel Lodge seem big and luxerious by comparison.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank stuck31

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed 18 February 2014

I only regret not having read those Reviews before. Unfortunately, I have to agree on all the negative points that have already been mentioned here... The only positive things is the location however, Travellogde is defninitely the better choice. Brooklands is a rip-off .

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank Baghira98
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 20 December 2013

I booked the four poster room in September through their own website "brooklandsguesthouse.co.uk" for two nights as the pictures looked lovely. However after reading some of the horrendous reviews on Tripadvisor, I cancelled the booking the next day. My card was debited for the full amount immediately on booking. Their cancellation policy states,and I qoute - "Cancellations
If You cancel Your Booking more than 48 hours before the scheduled check-in time on the date of arrival, a full refund of the amount paid will be processed to Your credit or debit card within 5 working days". I cancelled TWO WEEKS in advance. After several emails(all unanswered) and repeated phonecalls to the number on the website over a week, each time the woman was rude, aggressive and gave me the complete run around,I eventually gave up and chalked it down to experience! As for my refund..... Im still waiting 3 months later!!!
BEWARE - DONT BOOK AT BROOKLANDS!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Aly12334
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I stayed in Cambridge for three days. The place is very old and needs a serious touch. Very dirty floor and shower was not working even after changing rooms. Staff not really helpful. After reporting my problems they were not fixed and I was still charged the full price.

Room Tip: Difficult to say, I had two rooms and both were quite dirty. No 3 is with four poster bed but still...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 November 2013

I looked at the En-suite double room pics in the Internet and book it through, When I went to check-in She just shown me the ABSOLUTE CRAP IN THE ATTIC WITH TWIN BEDS AND YOU CAN'T EVEN STAND STRAIGHT THERE IN THAT CRAP(That's the room), WOULD U BELIEVE THAT I HAVE PAID £57 for a night & haven't spent 15 mins in that hell. Apart from all of that she didn't even greeted & apologised that the room she changed, And simply left off.
I literally hang in that place for 15 mins, That's the max & decided to check-out, and I did it as I booked in other hotel immediately.

As I am already done with that long 12hrs day of work, I can't even have a strength to argue with her. I left the hell

NOTE FOR BROOKLANDS: Please don't cheat the customers like this. Customers are the key to your business.

From now on you made me think like all the guest houses are crap. The worst place I have ever come across.

Room Tip: please don't go for the guest house by simply looking at the pictures in the website( absolute c...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank deuen75
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We booked this B&B for its location near the railway station, and because of the photos on its website which showed light, airy, spacious rooms with 4 poster beds. The reality was very different. Forget the 4 poster bed, the double bed practically filled the very cramped, awkward room, and there was almost nowhere to put anything. The bedside tables were covered in dust.

When we arrived there was no one to answer the door, so we had to call the number listed on the door, which in itself was very offputting. We had trouble understanding the accent of the women who answered the 'phone and were given a door code entry number and told our room number and that the keys were on the bed. This is very much a self-service approach with customer care non-existent. We had to go and find the owner/manager to get even basic information like what time breakfast was served etc., and a simple request to supply a hand towel (only one had been left for two of us) was completely ignored.

Breakfast was also mean -- you could have either yogurt and muesli or egg(s) on toast, not both. For £70 this was very poor value for money, and was only worth about £40.

The location is handy and there are bus stops for the city centre right outside the door. That's just about all that there is to recommend it.

Room Tip: This has been a valuable lesson in reading reviews before booking!
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple