“Great College B and B accomodation”
Review of Churchill College

Churchill College
Ranked #69 of 167 things to do in Cambridge
More attraction details
Owner description: It was mainly through the efforts of Sir Winston Churchill, Prime Minister of Great Britain, which resulted in the founding of this college that focuses on technology and industrial science.
Melbourne, Australia
16 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Great College B and B accomodation”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I stayed here in the B and B whilst doing some work at Anglia Ruskin University in Cambridge. It was great as it had carparking, free wifi in the bar area, and a brilliant breakfast. The porters were helpful - ask them about posting any things, as they do it in bulk and it is cheap. My room was spacious and had a kettle. The toilet and shower were on the same floor and whilst simple, were fine. The light above the sink in my room didn't work, but the lighting was fine. There was a desk, and chair, plus plenty of clothes storage. The college is set out in a grid, and easy to navigate especially as the porters provided a clear map when I arrived. There are good laundry facilities, and the dryer is very fast and hot. I purchased a dinner one night and it was lovely.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Shell123_10

Santiago, Chile
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Feeling like a student”
Reviewed 5 September 2013

I stayed for 5 days on July 2013, I was attending a conference that took place on the same college . The first thing that I didn't like, is that I had to buy a cable to use internet. Then, that there is a internet quota that doesn't allow you to watch a movie. If you pass the quota, you get no internet for ... 24 hours. There is no TV. The room service was bad. Ok so the good things, very beautiful place, they lent me a bike to go to the city. Nice prices at the bar.

Bath, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 81 helpful votes
“Interesting, but, as an accommodation option, it doesn't provide great value or convenience.”
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

One of the "new" colleges, the buildings here are of 1960s construction and, although not as architectrially unattractive as many buildings from that era, the style is very much of that period. This means a layout that takes a while to become familiar with and would be highly inconvenient in wet weather, as you are unable to park remotely close to many of the rooms.
It was interesting to stay in a Cambridge College and get a taste of campus life. Highlights include pleasant grounds, with well maintained open areas and notable artworks, and an excellent breakfast. Food served at other times was also of a reasonable standard.
However, if you were to compare it to other accommodation options in a similar price bracket, eg a Premier Inn, there are some distinct shortcomings; basic room with no tv, long walk from car to reception to room and no wifi.
Interesting enough to provide average value, at around £65/night double, for a night or two, but it wouldn't be my first choice if looking for comfortable and convenient accommodation in the area.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank king_of_muffins
Lymington, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Something Different”
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We decided to try the Churchill College as the hotel we stayed in last time had decided to start charging premium London rates and given my last stay I would find it hard to justify paying the asking rate taking into consideration my experience. The Churchill College is within walking distance on the town centre and there is plenty of free parking. Our room was spacious and clean but one has to remember that these rooms are normally used by students so don't expect a 42" flat screen with multi channel choice and other irrelevant trimmings . In fact there is no TV but personally I looked on this as bonus. A buffet breakfast is included which is of excellent quality. The porter was also extremely helpfully and courteous. Given the price compared to hotels in the area I cannot fault the Churchill College and would stay there again without hesitation.

1 Thank Chris J
Kent, UK
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Winston would surely have approved!”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I had stayed in my own college for one night to attend a dinner. My companion was joining me the following day but my college had no double rooms. So we stayed in Churchill College at £95 for a double room breakfast included. You could not fault the room. The double was a big double and very comfortable. I am told we had a very nice pack of toiletries (mine was quickly stolen!). If you are going to Cambridge, it is rather fun to stay in a college than a hotel - mainly because Cambridge is not renowned for the quality of its hotels; and it is quite nostalgic to relive your student years. The kitchen staff on duty were very attentive and helpful. The breakfast was better than my college!