“cancelled booking and terrible service”
Review of The Waterman

The Waterman
The Waterman
Ranked #55 of 122 Cambridge B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“cancelled booking and terrible service”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

Early one saturday morning we decided to visit Cambridge, so I booked a double room with ensuite at the Waterman through LateRooms.com, I paid and received my confirmation 8am that morning. After driving 3hrs we received a call at 12:45pm explaining the room we paid for was already booked and the internet was wrong to show a room available. The owner blamed LateRooms for the error and offered no solution other than to send us down the road to look for another hotel. Not accepting this I drove to the hotel. I met the owner who was very abrupt and offered no apology, sincerity and certainly no help in looking for an alternatel hotel to stay. So I contacted Laterooms whom confirmed it is the owners resoponsibility to look after the admin on the internet and LateRooms contact them immidiately through 3 channels when a booking is made; in rare situations of a double booking the hotel must try to find you alternate accomodation to a minimum or higher standard that you had booked. LateRooms contacted the owner who made one call to a friend down the road and all they had was a twin room with no ensuite at a lesser value; we did not see this as acceptable and we certainly wasnt desperate enough to take. LateRooms continued in vain to contact the Waterman for over 4 hours with no alternate hotel found. I understand these things happen but we booked online to save the hassle of looking for a room and certainly didnt want to waste our day doing this. I also object to being lied to and the way the hotel tried to wash there hands of us when the fault is clearly with them. I have no interest in the comments you'll make, I suggest you re-read you're booking obligations, learn some manners and try thinking how you could have dealt with your error

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
7 Thank Dave R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Leicester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 July 2014

I booked in at the Waterman on the strength of previous reviews and must admit to being disappointed. The outside is rather tired but the dining area is quite modern and appealing. At first sight the room seemed clean and comfortable. Unfortunately this first impression was spoiled when we went into the bathroom which looked clean and functional but smelled of mold and drains. We mentioned this to the barman and someone who we believe was the owner asked if he could go up to the room and check. We heard nothing more and believed he may have sprayed a little air freshner in and left the extractor fan running. The smell pervaded the bedroom during the night which was a warm one. In the morning the reason became clear! When I went to have my shower there was only half a door on the shower cubicle and water was poring out over the floor and obviously draining under the lino and creating mold! I immediately mentioned this to the gentleman in charge who looked surprised and said "No one else has complained, we are waiting for a part!"
We cancelled our second night there. I wouldn't have minded so much if they had come clean at the outset and told us there was a problem with the shower and perhaps even apologised and offered us some recompense, but no, they seemed to think they were doing us a favour charging top dollar for a room that was not fit for purpose. Avoid.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GuysGrandpa

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Conway, Arkansas
Reviewed 22 June 2014

The Waterman was recommended to me by a family member for a research trip I was planning to Cambridge in June. In December 2013 I booked a room for two nights for June 2014. Alas, circumstances dictated I had to cancel the trip in April so I contacted them right away knowing this was peak tourist and graduation season--as a college professor I am aware of how quickly rooms fill up in my own town at such times. The Waterman refused to refund the booking even though it was several months in advance of the trip and they should easily have been able to rebook the room. Last time I conducted research in the UK, I had booked a room at one of the colleges. It probably wasn't as nice, but it was quiet, clean, had a snack-bar, and computer room on site and was across the street from the library. I would recommend doing that before booking a stay here. I consider what they did to be a "money grab". Had I cancelled less than a week before my stay, or had it been off-season when bookings are scarce, I MIGHT have understood, but this is "sharp business practices" and from what I have read about small rooms, no on-suite bathroom, and being above a noisy pub, the room at the college would have been less expensive, more convenient, and offered the same amenities!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank academicprofessional
Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 April 2014

This B&B is located close to the key attractions of Cambridge (walking distance); the bedroom and shared bathroom were very clean and comfortable, the breakfast good and the service friendly and helpful. Food in the pub was of great quality. This B&B is a 6 pound taxi ride from the railway station. All good value.

Room Tip: Ask for room away from the street and not directly above pub entrance.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
London
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed for a night and the rooms were comfortable, with clean bathroom and a good breakfast in the downstairs pub. The room was nicely decorated with a tv and kettle.
The room could have done with a desk area (it only had a shelf for the kettel). But otherwise was a fine place to stay.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Avignon, France
Reviewed 20 January 2014

We went to the Waterman with a friend, for 2 nights in a Double room. The room was really nice, large and with a lot of facilities. The staff was helpful and warm. We also loved the breakfast, which offers a large choice and good products. This B&B is at 10 mn of walk from the city center. Thank you so much !

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laurence G
Rome, Italy
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed here with a friend for just one night during the summer. The hotel staff were very helpful - directing us to a suitable parking spot for the duration of stay. The room itself was very pleasant and clean. The shared bathroom was also maintained very well and kept spotless. Breakfast was simple but very enjoyable. Even when going down shortly before breakfast was due to end the staff were happy to allow us to grab some croissants and juice.

The location is great - with the river just behind the building and Midsummer Common only less than 3 minutes walk away. It is also very close to both the modern and historical centre. You can walk to both in around 15/20 minutes.

Overall a lovely B&B and very good value for money, would certainly visit again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends