“Why stay here when there are so many others?”
Review of Hamilton Lodge

Hamilton Lodge
Ranked #28 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 2 September 2012

Gruby, shabby and dirty. On arrival needed to ask for room to be vaccumed, bits on floor, tissues and wrappers under bed. En-suite had mould around shower, dust and dirt in extractor fan and on bathroom light; white woodchip walls in bedroom and bathroom were off white as a result of grime. I felt sorry for foreign visitors staying if their rooms where the same and this would be their impression of the British standard of tourist accomodation. Nothing like reviews or photos.Not up to its 3 star rating. Reasonablely priced shouldnt mean a poor standard of cleanliness and decoration; it appears to be more a case of deteroiration.
Only things in its favour were the over worked helpful friendly staff and the breakfast.
Would I stay again? No! I would use one of the college halls out of term time or a Travelodge or Premier Inn; Cambdrige is not a big city and has good public transport links so nothing is too far away.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 August 2012

A nice hotel with well appointed rooms. We booked a lovely four poster room and it was so comfortable. You also get chocolates and a bottle of fizz with the room and it was a really nice touch. Breakfast was gorgeous and we were well-looked after. It takes about 15 mins to walk to the centre but it's a pleasant walk. I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed 4 August 2012

Simple, small room and bathroom, could do with a fix up, wifi only worked in the breakfast room but friendly staff, not too expensive for Cambridge and well, there was a room available for just one night, so,...

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Nathalie0511
Reviewed 19 July 2012 via mobile

Good location, car park and bed (for an English size double).
Friendly helpful staff.
Reasonable breakfast.
Small room.
Poor shower. Top tip - if water pressure is anything less than outstanding do not fit a multi jet shower head. The cheapest shower head gives the best results with low water pressure. So much so that I carry one in my overnight bag.
Decor was very tired and knocking three houses into one means its a bit of a rabbit warren. Not a critism, but means you have to navigate lots if twists, turns and fire doors with your bag(s). Speaking of which the room door lock was very uninspiring. I'm no Raffles, but reckon I could slip past quite easy.
Overall, given the price, it's OK.

• Stayed: June 2012
Reviewed 12 July 2012

The room I was given was really quite filthy. I made the mistake of taking my shoes off and, to my horror, discovered the carpet was sticky, like someone poured a large quantity of sugar syrup on it and then allowed it to air dry. But somehow, I doubt the stickiness was the work of sugar syrup. I am guessing at something more sinister, but I leave that to your imagination. For the rest of my night there, I took extra care not to let anything drop on the floor because I didn't want to have to sterilise items that have touched the carpet. (Just a suggestion: If maintaining a carpet is too much of a bother, why not strip it and go with a plain tiled floor?)

The hot water flask looked dirty too, and the dressing table had stray hair on it. The en-suite bathroom did look clean though, and so were the beds (thank God for small mercies, or else where was I to sleep then?).

Overall, the lodge is rather run down and its decor, dated. Service was patchy, with some staff being friendlier than others. One woman who was manning the reception counter was positively helpful when we asked for directions, which was really nice.

As for the plus points of this lodge: It was not expensive and it was a pleasant 15-minute walk to the town centre. It also had free parking and the staff allowed us to park our car there for the day even after we had checked out.

A stay came with a cooked breakfast in the morning, which is not a bad way to start the day.

I grudgingly concede that Hamilton Lodge is okaaaay for the price (except the lack of cleanliness, but you could get around that by keeping your shoes on all the time). But would I stay there again if I revisit Cambridge? Hmm.

Room Tip: Ask for an en-suite if you want one. Because the lodge has non-en-suite rooms as well.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 29 June 2012

Perfect for a Girlie weekend in Cambridge! Clean Rooms with everything you need for a weekend away and the price we paid. friendly enough staff, it was very busy, so I did get the impression they just wanted to get it over and done with. Breakfast was great and plentiful. Being in the same industry myself I loved being on the other side.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 May 2012

The hotel is located just outside of central Cambridge (only just) and a taxi was cheap, but I think if we'd known our way around it would have been just about walkable. The rooms were clean and warm, with adjustable heating, and the facilities were all average or better. The fact that there was a parking space available with the room was invaluable, as it was nearly impossible to park anywhere else!

Saying that, the shower in our room was pretty crap, but that was more likely down to me not knowing how to work the unusual controls. It had poor pressure and was painfully hot, but worked at least and there were towels and soaps as usual.

We were offered milk for our rooms (for tea and coffee) at reception at the time of check in, which we accepted and was given to us in a thermos flask, however I was reluctant to use it the next morning as there were no fridges in the rooms. I'm sure this would have been fine though.

The breakfast was really nice, and there was a lot of choice and variety, including different cereals, juices, yoghurts and toast with jam/honey/marmalade/marmite etc, as well as cooked breakfasts. The staff were quite friendly in the dining area, and the food was cooked fresh and quickly. The dining area itself was smartly presented, and cleared away promptly when people had finished.

Me and my boyfriend booked a room here along with two of our friends. We paid the same for two double rooms, however by chance one of us had a four poster bed, a spacious room and a large toilet and shower room and the other had a normal double bed, and a tiny toilet and shower cupboard. I think we'd have felt like it was a lot better value for money had we not seen the other room, however there was nothing wrong with ours, and for a night it was ideal.

Most of all, at around £100 cheaper than all similar hotels in Cambridge, it was really good value and I'd stay again.

Room Tip: We had 4B and 6B which were both the same price, however 6B (I think!) had a four poster bed and a s...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple