“One night stay”
Review of Hamilton Lodge

Hamilton Lodge
Ranked #28 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 14 December 2013

The Staff were most welcoming and helpful. I had a Good night's sleep in a good room with everything one may require, a comfortable bed, adjustable heating, which was welcome, all at a most reasonable price, which was upgraded to en suite. Will hopefully return, one day. Many thanks.

13-14 December 2013

Stayed: December 2013

Reviewed 30 November 2013

cute quiet hotel tucked away just minutes from city center. I checked in expecting the room to be small and stuffy, I got the complete OPPOSITE! I stayed for one night and fell in love. I had a single room with en suite, not sure if I was given a double room or if that was just the single, either way, I will def stay again! Taxi rides to city center are just about a fiver. They have breakfast in the mornings as well, but I overslept so I can't comment. Overall a nice hotel and can't wait to stay again

Room Tip: Get the ensuites, its only a few pounds extra
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Stayed here twice in the last month for a total of 9 days and it was fine. The staff and breakfast were very good although the hotel is looking a bit tired. There was mould in my room under the bay window and some mould in the ensuite although to be fair it was minimal. The deocr is very dated as is the mismatch furniture in the rooms. Having said that though, was it clean - yes, was it comfy - yes, would I stay here again - yes. At the end of the day you get what you pay for - if you want a top rate room then the University Arms or Royal Cambridge will be happy to take your booking!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The Breakfast here is great...plenty of it well cooked and presented. Staff were pleasant and helpful and generally good company. to supplement the early morning in room cuppa they give you a thermos of cold milk which is a good idea.
Unfortunately the accommodation needs improvement to match the rest of the good points.
We were in the A block which had no heating running in it although the rest of the hotel was pleasantly warm. Our room was small and clean and reasonably well appointed. The shower room however was in need of some TLC. There is mould on the walls, the toilet was insecurely fixed to the floor and there were no shelves in this room to place wash bags and nowhere in the shower to put the shampoo or soap. Plentiful hot water though!
Outside our room,on the landing was a shower area and toilet which was not ventilated and lead to a smelly arrival to our room. it was also used frequently on the Saturday night ....little sound insulation between our room and this area...you get the picture.
It is a pity as the Lodge does have some good points and is well placed for a walk into Cambridge. Do not stay in the A Block is the best advice.

Room Tip: Do not choose A block
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 October 2013 via mobile

Our stay was for only one night, and the staff were pleasant and very helpful. They suggested a local pub for our dinner and it did not disappoint. The room was spacious enough for 1 night and the bathroom was well appointed and very clean! I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 11 October 2013

My husband and I stayed here for one night in august. We hadn't been to Cambridge before and wanted an affordable place to stay with free parking. Our plan was to walk into the city but my husband had broken his achilles tendon a month earlier so we caught a taxi into the nearby city centre.
The room and bed was comfortable enough, it could have done with some re-decoration but nothing majorly wrong. We had an ensuite when we had only booked a double with shared bathroom facilities. The shower was a bit small and a bit erratic, but we didn't complain as we didn't think we would have one anyway! The wifi signal was fine in our room even though we were quite far from the sitting room which housed the router.
The staff all seemed friendly and the breakfast was very good. The breakfast room has obviously been decorated recently to a good standard.

We would use this bed and breakfast again if we were to re-visit Cambridge - it's not a 5 star hotel but that is why you are not paying 5 star prices.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2013

The room I stayed in here (top floor attic room) was a bit tired and in need of modernisation. I know you get what you pay for, but it wasn't particularly cheap. The photo's on their website are a bit misleading, and you will not be overlooking the river, but either the car park at the back or the busy main road. I was only here one night though so it wasn't too bad. It was good that there was on site parking at the rear of the hotel and the breakfast room is decorated nicely. The breakfast was the best part of my stay here.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business