“Absolutely Terrible”

Ranked #28 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Sudbury, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Terrible”
Reviewed 1 September 2014

We booked through booking.com and were presented with the professional photos that can be seen on trip advisor as well. Based on this and other gleaming reviews we had read we booked straight away for two nights only to arrive and be told we had only booked for one despite our confirmation stating two. Net curtains were brown instead of the usual white, single duvets on double beds, carpets unhoovered, woodwork covered in flaky paint and bathroom sealant was brown, dust all over pictures, light fittings and water pipes, as well as mould on the latter. Reception area was not a reception area as you walk in and all you are greeted with is a bell. The waiting staff were the only plus about this experience with them all being extremely nice. Maybe instead of fixing up the new extension the rooms should take more priority.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Linda B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2014

The Hamilton Lodge was bigger than I had expected and run like a hotel, not a guest house as I had expected.
Although not in the centre of Cambridge, the city centre is within easy reach of the hotel. I was able to cycle along the river Cam to the centre in under 10 minutes.
My single room was on the 3rd floor and was part of the roof space. This meant the room was a little short of headroom in places. Other than that, the room was clean,comfortable and provided everything I required, including a sink, TV and tea making facilities. As the room was at the front of the hotel I found it best to keep the window closed to reduce the traffic noise.
The shared toilet was on the second floor, and the shared shower was on the 3rd floor. Both were adequate.
Breakfast was served in a large breakfast room on the ground floor. There was a good selection of cereals, fruit juices and yogurt. There was also filtered coffee and a choice of speciality teas. The generous full English breakfast included good quality sausages and thick sliced bacon. There were other cooked options that included; kippers, omelets and cheese on toast. The food was lovely, nicely presented and served by efficient and helpful staff.
If decor is your thing, I think it's fair to say the hotel could could do with tidying up in places. However, keep in mind the price of your stay. I found the room rate to be very good for the service provided, especially for Cambridge.
I would definitely consider staying at Hamilton Lodge again.

Room Tip: The front rooms face a fairly busy road.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank graymole
Porto, Portugal
Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed there last July and it fulfilled its role: it provided me with a good night sleep. Other than that, it’s a quite average place.
It’s one of those places that you neither recommend nor tell people not go there.
Then again, this is the UK we’re talking about. Budget travel isn’t synonymous with quality over there.
I must say though that the lady in the front office was very kind.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank RicardoRego
Wales
Reviewed 7 August 2014

My husband and I have stayed here on many occasions whilst our son was at university. The service is excellent - lovely friendly staff and really good breakfast. The rooms are a bit shabby and the whole place would benefit from redecoration - but saying that we wouldn't stop anywhere else now - everywhere is spotlessly clean, staff can't do enough to help and the price is brill!Hotels in Cambridge are really expensive and for the price we pay here we always sleep well, eat well and have a lovely chat with all the staff. Our really favourite thing about it is the fact that in the lounge area there is a small fridge where you can pick up a flask of fresh milk to have with your tea in your room - sheer genius!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Carol G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 July 2014

My partner and I stayed here for 2 nights for my friends wedding - I was really excited to get a 4 poster bed, but it was a bit of a disappointment. The place is ok, it is a huge rambling building, but the smell and atmosphere are rather drab and foosty. We had 2 TVs in the room - one was not working and the remote didn't work for the second. The curtains had lost a few hooks so drooped in the middle, the bed wasn't made well - (the sheet didn't come the whole way up). You could feel all the springs in the mattress and neither of the bedside lamps were plugged in, so we had to scrabble around looking for plugs. In the morning, I showered, and the towel stank of stale onions (weird I know!). The place was just all a bit tired and just didn't feel all that clean. However, the staff were friendly enough & I like that you could collect a thermos of fresh milk for the morning and get a take away breakfast if you are going to miss the dining room. We paid £80 a night.
In summary, this is a B&B in need of some care and attention. It's a bit grubby and the decor is dated and tired, but the staff are nice enough; however, I feel the that the price was too expensive for the quality of service. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this B&B.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Miriamooooooo

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

CHESHIRE
Reviewed 9 June 2014

We stayed at Hamilton Lodge for 4 nights at the begining of June, all we wanted was a good but cheapish b and b as this was a short stay. The hotel staff were lovely and the breakfast in the morning was superb, Unfortunatly the room we had which was number 02 was not up to the standard of the rest of the public areas in the hotel, it was a twin room that was very dark and depressing,with very little natural light, it looked like it had not had a lick of paint since the 70s and there were big holes in the wall where either pictures or a large mirror had been, the furniture in the room was in really good condition, but the bedding also had seen better days although it was clean, more than i can say for the room the carpet edges were full of dust and a cob web dangled over one of the beds. Our room was also next to the dinning room so guests seemed to gather chatting very early outside our room although this cannot be helped i know. Come on Hamilton this could be a really good hotel just needs a lot of T.L.C

Room Tip: Don't go in room 02
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Santander, Spain
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Considering that in general the hotels in this city are crazily expansive, Hamilton Lodge offers a good deal. It is not "too" expansive, it's clean, close to the center, offers wifi and the service is good. Still, in another city the same hotel would be "far too expansive for what it offers".

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo