“Good base to explore”

Ranked #28 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Good base to explore”
Reviewed 11 October 2010

Stayed for 1 night...second visit to the Hamilton and found everything good value for money. If I paid the ritz prices then I would have expected more. It's clean and the breakfasts are very good...with lots of options. Rooms had central heating on and there is always lots of hot water. tea/coffee making facilities...what more can you ask for.

Staff are friendly and helpful....arrived well before the check in time but this was no problem...they even allow you to leave your car in the car park after you have checked out so that you can spend time looking around Cambridge.

It's about a 15 minute walk into the centre but you can do this by walking alongside the river so it's a pleasurable walk.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank LornaNorfolk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Huddersfield
Reviewed 2 October 2010

Unfortunately there was a mix up with our booking in that our two double en suite rooms turned out to be two doubles with shared facilities. However, as this could have been a mistake on the part of Late Rooms, I will try to not let that influence my opinion of the Hamilton Lodge. However....

Even if I had have been prepared to pay £60 a night fo a room without its own toilet and shower (I wouldn't), I was a little surprised by how few facilities there were at this B&B. The one toilet on our floor seemed to be shared by a lot of rooms and to be honest, was not particularly nice. It was odd as, although the rest of the rooms were old fashioned and run down, there had obviously been an element of care taken to keep this looking semi-presentable. The toilet however, was smelly, a bit dirty, draughty, neglected adn didn't even have a mirror or any facilities to dry your hands (no drier, no towel, nothing).

The shower meanwhile was actually up a flight of stairs from our room. Although you obviously expect to have to share facilities when you are not paying for an en suite, I would expect more discretion and privacy. It wasn't very nice to have to start the day by running up a flight a stairs, towel in tow. hoping and praying you don't meet anyone en route.

The rooms themselves are acceptable in that there's a bed, they're warm, they're clean... but they are VERY old fashioned. the whole place is a bit tired, and drab and clearly hasn't seen any sort of painting, decorating or even repair to the plaster work for several decades. While I don't expect the Ritz while travelling budget, it does always astound me when a B&B charging £60 a night with 20 rooms that are - by its own admission - fully booked, cannot spare the cash at some point to show the premises a bit of love, care and attention.

All in all, I'd say the good points about this hotel are its location and the fact the the rooms themselves are pretty clean. But having stayed in numerous (en suite) B&Bs for £50 to £70, this was definitely the worst when it came to general standards. I guess it comes down to the attitude of the owners, and how much effort they put into keeping these places nice, clean and modern instead of letting them languish over the decades.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank Christina C

Travellers are raving about these Cambridge hotels

Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 September 2010

Very pleasant stay . staff very friendly excellent breakfast.
short walk to cambridge town center and pleasant walks along the riverbank.

my only negative point was that there was no space or shelves in the bathroom for putting toiletries on.Apart from that would recommend this hotel and would be happy to stay there again

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
southampton
Reviewed 13 September 2010

Booked this hotel at the last minute, so limited choice - and needed to be in walking distance of Fitzwilliam College (25 min walk away down a busy road) and Cambridge Centre (15-20 minute walk away via nearby residential streets which give access to two bridges over the river, and then parkland that leads to the centre).

The hotel is on a main road, mostly residential, but with a handy Spar shop opposite. The hotel itself is actually two connected houses with around 20 rooms. The staff were friendly and helpful.The room itself was a double en-suite - fine for one person but would have been a serious squash for two. There was just enough room to walk round the bed, with a bedside table and light on one side but not the other. The decor was a bit dated and slightly shabby. In contrast the bathroom, athough tiny, was very modern and spotlessly clean. The small digital TV had a random range of channels - fair selection but not the full freeview range, and a couple of Sky channels. The 25 watt bulb in the lamp and accompanying dark lampshade made reading/working in bed impossible without using the overhead light. The view from the window (in fact patio doors that didn't open) was of a scruffy concrete courtyard which contained a rotary clothes line and several dead hanging baskets stacked against the wall. The corridor outside the room alas had a rather unpleasant smell that reminded me of rotten cabbage (but was probably cleaning fluid!). The duvet was clearly several years old or very thin, meaning that I woke up cold in the early hours of the morning - although the bedspread was fairly thick and provided the required additional layer. On the plus side though, the bed and pillows were very comfortable - which at the end of the day is an important priority!!!

Breakfast during the week runs from 7.30 to 8.45, which is an impractically early finish time for a city that probably attracts as many tourists as business travellers, if not more. As a consequence most people seemed to take breakfast as late as possible, and thus I arrived at breakfast at 8.30 on the first morning to find the cereal/fruit juice buffet completely devoid of bowls and all the jugs empty! Also the annoying practice of only giving out individualised jugs of milk (for cereal as well as tea/coffee) when your order is taken means that (once you've found a bowl) you still can't make a start on eating your cereal whilst waiting for your order to be taken without borrowing or stealing milk from somoene else's table!!! And ordering was also not a quick process! The overall impression was of numerous staff running around frantically, but no-one in charge..... That being said, the breakfast when eventually achieved was fine. Also to be fair, the second morning at a similar time was a little less chaotic. The dining room itself was fine, although here too there was just a need for a bit more care and attention - e.g. from my table I could clearly see four out of the ten light bulbs in the sidelights that needed replacing.

Free Wifi is a recent addition, and was a factor in my deciding to book the hotel. This is advertised as only working reliably in the lounge, but in fact worked (just) in my room which was some distance away (although still on the ground floor). However after about 10.30 pm on two of the three nights, it seemed to drop out for some reason - and then wouldn't even work in the lounge.

So overall, for the price (£60 per night, which was a direct booking and less than quoted on the hotel and other websites) it was OK. But I would explore alternatives before planning to return.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank hersoton
Machrihanish
Reviewed 6 July 2010

Had booked Lantern House for one night on the way from north to south. Was surprised that they had double booked, so they send me to this Hamilton Lodge a few doors away. When I was showed to my room (afternoon), we passed a very drunk figure in the lounge, and the staff claimed that she didn’t recognise the drunk figure as a resident !
Later I recognised more people checkin in here after going to Lantern House first. Perhaps it's a trick they have together. Book everything that moves to a different location, and send them here with unfortunate double booking as an excuse ?
The room was very small and dodgy. I could hardly turn in the bathroom.
Free WIFI and the location close to town center was the only plusses.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank bakbjerg
Wisbech, Cambs
Reviewed 17 June 2010

6 of us had booked to stay at Hamilton Lodge some 6 to 8 weeks before we travelled. I had made the booking and specified 3 double or twin en-suite rooms we were quoted £70.00 per night at the time we made the booking and thought this was fair. 2 of the couples were staying for 2 nights but my husband and myself could only go for one of the nights. The hotel was spotlessly clean and the staff were welcoming and helpful. A nice touch was the flasks of fresh milk so that we could make tea/coffee in the rooms. Breakfast was very good with good quality bacon and sausages and served by friendly and helpful staff. There is a large car park and it is possible to walk or catch bus into Cambridge city centre. Our grouse is this: our three rooms were spread over the hotel - not a major problem, however, two of the rooms were far superior to the third - one had a four poster bed and was very light and modern, one had twin beds put together to form a king size and two single beds in the room. The third room was in the attic, had sloping ceilings and if you had sat up in bed suddenly you would have knocked yourself out and you had to be careful how you walked round the room because of the lack of height in places. Also this room was a little tired and could have done with renovating. We were amazed to all be charged £70.00 a night and when I queried why we were paying the same for an inferior room, especially as we had booked well in advance and it was a "block" booking (all under one name) they could give us no logical explanation. Personally I don't think the room was worth £60.00 a night and we were glad we only had to suffer it for one night. We were not offered a refund of any sort but given a box of chocolates which the receptionist hastened to point out was a good will gesture rather than compensation! She also said IF we went again to request a particular type of room. I would like to warn others to refuse the attic room! Incidentally, the room next to this had their shower room opposite them and had to go past our door to get to same - the occpants returned very late at night ( we hadn't gone to bed until after midnight) and were extremely noisy with doors banging as they accerssed the shower etc I know this was not the fault of the hotel but it still detracted from our stay.

Do try Browns Restaurant for a fantastic meal and lovely atmosphere

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank brinkersWisbech
Peterborough
Reviewed 27 May 2010

We stayed here for one night and I can say it was the best service I've ever received in a hotel.
We arrived at 11.30 much earlier than the 2pm booking in time but this was no problem to the staff they allowed us to use their free car park at the rear of the hotel and allocated a room straight away which turned out to be a 4 poster.
The room was on the 2nd floor at the rear and had a compact bathroom with a shower. The bed was really comfortable with high quality bed linen. We had absolutely no noise and slept like logs. As we were leaving prior to the breakfast time of 7.30 they offerred us a packed breakfast which was wonderful, this consisted of a bacon and cheese sandwich (on wholemeal) a low fat yoghurt, fruit drink,an apple and a pack of biscuits, which they left in our room whilst we were out.
The hotel is situated about a mile from the centre but there is a bus stop outside.
The rooms were clean,comfortable and well worth the £70 price we paid. We will be going back very soon.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple