“Great conference venue and facilites and Perfectly acceptable overnight stay”

Holiday Inn Cambridge
Ranked #15 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Scotland
“Great conference venue and facilites and Perfectly acceptable overnight stay”
Reviewed 8 February 2012

I was atending a conference at the Holiday Inn, Impington and stayed the previous night .
I found it easily from Stnastead airport , conveiently just off the main road and well signposted , even in the murky Ferbruary darkness at 11pm on afeeezing cold night!
The receprtion staff were friendly , helpful , jovial and welcoming .
I was travelling alone and felt completely safe .
The room was clean, adequate and had tea and coffee w( which was very welcome)
The Wi Fi charges were exorbitant ( perhaps to discourage usage)
At 6.30am I used the pool which was great - The saunsa was hot ( yes it should be, but some aren't!) Unfortunately the steam room was closed that morning and I did not use the jacuzzi.
The breakfast was wonderful - lots of fresh fruit , meats , cheese, a variety of bread and toast, mugs of coffee or tea, The cooked breakfast tatsed as good as it looked and was hot.
The conference facilites and refreshments were the best I've visted for a long time. Sound proof rooms. Plentiful refreshments which looked , smelt and tasted wonderful.
Comfortable seats ( important when you are sitting for a whole day)
Check out staff were helpful and friendly too.
Great stay and would recommend .

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
hicambridge, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 14 February 2012
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your wonderful feedback regarding your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Cambridge.
I am pleased that you found the experience enjoyable, even when attending a full days conference!
Unfortunately our internet access is managed by a third party company, so we have no say in the prices charged.
Again thank you for taking the time to inform us of your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you again should you be in the Cambridge area.

Ritchie Furmidge

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (173)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Romsey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Stayed in the Holiday Inn, Cambridge for one night and used business facilities.

Check-in was straightforward enough, although the person on the desk was pretty miserable! Room was clean, airy, and perfectly functional. Good temperature; I slept well.

I had a dinner, bed and breakfast package, and the dinner set menu allowed a good range of meals. Breakfast was also fine. However, service at both was poor - dinner was slow and at breakfast there didn't seem to be anyone around half the time. The bar prices were extortionate - you expect to pay a bit extra at hotels, but the prices here were ridiculous!

Some colleagues had more negative experiences with the rooms, etc., so there is an element of 'luck of the draw' here.

Business facilities that we used were good, well-stocked, coffee bar was fine, although the coffee tasted of plastic. Apparently there were other smaller rooms that had no natural light, and were tough-going for the day.

The swimming pool looked nice, although I didn't use it. The hotel is in a quiet area, with some nice green spaces around.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

I would like to thank you for your feedback following your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Cambridge.
I have passed your feedback to the relevant departments regarding the service issues, as this is not our usual standard.
All of our rooms have a rolling maintentnace programme, and i believe that we offer comfortable and spacious rooms throughout the hotel. We have invested alot of money in the hotel over the last 6 months, with the rebrand, new lounge furniture, pool refurbishment etc and i am pleased to say this will continue.
With regards to our conference facilities, we pride ourself on our Academy purpose built meetings area. Out of the 10 meeting rooms we have only 2 do not have natural daylight and this is pointed out to the booker at the time of enquiry.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn should you be visiting Cambridge in the future.

Kind Regards,

Ritchie Furmidge
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We decided at the last moment to upgrade to an executive room due to a special offer and I must thank Kelly for her help in rearranging our reservation. The receptionist who assisted me with check in was also delightful and the service continued to be excellent with everyone being helpful and pleansant. The room was spacious and nicely decorated with a sofa and double bed and large LCD TV with a good selection of channels. The food we ordered from room service was tasty and the food is not (as is often the case with hotel food) overpriced. They have a well equipped gym and offer group workouts too; also a swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna. Plenty of parking and set in a lovely green area with wide open spaces and horses; once I got the lay of the land it wasn't too much of a mission to drive into town and only took a few minutes.
The only negative thing I can say is I wouldn't pay full price for the room - either standard or exec - as I think it is overpriced for a Holiday Inn, but on the special offer it was great!
I love Cambridge and when I come back I would gladly stay here again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ThePugHusky
hicambridge, General Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 11 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay here at the Holiday Inn Cambridge.
I am pleased that you found this to be should a great experience.
Holiday Inn offer a wide veriety of special offer throughout the year, and when booking in advance you can recieve great rates from just £70 B&B.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Island of Anglesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 January 2012

Stayed for three nights B & B over the New Year. Could not fault the Hotel at all. Staff very friendly and helpful, breakfast superb and leisure facilities well kept and maintained to high standard. If I have to be really critical the bedrooms could do with better noise insulation as you can here people next door and down the corridor if they have high pitched voices. Would certainly have no hesitation in staying again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank g_parry043
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your kind feedback regarding your New Years stay here at the Holiday Inn Cambridge.
We are pleased that you had an enjoyable stay, and hope that should you be visitng Cambridge in the future you will consider the Holiday Inn again.

vancouver
Reviewed 20 December 2011

Bland accomodation in a location that is almost guaranteed to be inconvenient - if you are unfamiliar with Cambridge, take another hard look at the map and stay somewhere else. Hotel is cleanish, staff are pleasant enough. WiFi charges are extortionate, although that seems to be a UK-wide phenomenon. The food is poor, the beer is beer.

Billing - the bill I was presented with had a bunch of meals charged against my room, despite my not eating anything but breakfast there. They took them off when I complained without any real argument, and seemed oddly unsurprised by their presence. Also wound up being double-billed for the accommodation charges - booked online and they stuck it on my card at checkout, and again separately for the online booking. Looks like it'll wind up being resolved but it's yet another pain that you shouldn't have to deal with. I'd suggest you take a very careful look at what you're paying for if you wind up getting stuck staying there.

I will likely have to travel to Cambridge on business again and I would not willingly stay here again, nor would I recommend anyone else do so. No matter what you're doing in Cambridge, there are other hotels that are closer to where you need to be, and this hotel really has nothing to recommend it.

Room Tip: Book a different hotel and then choose a room there.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank j w
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your December stay here at the Holiday Inn Cambridge.
Unfortunately we are not a city centra property, however we are just 2 1/2 miles from the city centre.
Here at the Holiday Inn Cambridge we pride ourselves that the guest comes first, therefore should you have a problem with your bill on check out we would gladly remove any charges that should not be against your room.

We do have a Duty Manager available for any queries or complaints so that matters like this can be dealt with immediately and the relevant departments then be informed of their mistakes.
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 December 2011

Went to this hotel for a Christmas Party. Tickets were a fairly steep £46 per person (beer and wine included). The starter and pudding were mediocre. The main course was terrible - overcooked vegetables, bland and flavourless. A school canteen would have blushed to serve such rubbish.

Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback regarding our party nights here at the Holiday Inn Cambridge.
I apologise that you found the food inadequate, however this does come as a shock after the number of positive comments we have had about the food from over 3,000 guests throughout December.
At £46 per person this is our peak night price, with prices starting from as little as £35pp i believe our package is unbeatable in the Cambridge area for an all inclusive venue.

Oxford,
Reviewed 27 November 2011

The staff try to be helpful, but this hotel could be much better managed. The rooms are lacking soundproofing and insulation. I could hear people walking around upstairs and somebody coughing in the room next door. Fortunately I had earplugs. The heating is not adequate in my view. The chair in the room was not suitable for sitting at a desk, so I had to ask for one. The procedure for getting online from your room is quite chaotic. You get a message telling you to go to reception to get your password but in fact you don't need to. There was confusion about whether I had actually paid or not for the internet. They wanted to charge me for a phone call I hadn't made. The restaurant was not adequate. Overcooked pasta with rotten lambs lettuce. When I pointed this out I was told the lamb's lettuce was "for decoration". I usually expect to eat the salad. This could be a decent place if it was properly insulated, and better organized.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank ProfessorCalculus
Dear Guest,

I can ensure that this feedback has been passed on to all of the relevant departments.
Unfortunately the internet is managed by a third party, and is aware of the confusion our guests are finding when trying to access WIFI internet access.
We hope that you will consider the Holiday Inn for any future visits to Cambridge you may be planning.