“Good location”

Ranked #12 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Duns, United Kingdom
“Good location”
Reviewed 4 June 2013

A good location, it's the usual situation as in its placed near a roundabout with a major road nearby but. To be fair, no traffic noise from my room, although quite a walk from reception and I was in a second floor room, with the added joy of no lifts, so not so good for carrying your bags.
Overall a good quality hotel, staff friendly, rooms of a high standard, plus very clean.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
Julie O, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your positive review and I am pleased that you found our staff friendly and hotel clean.

Wayne Morris

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (176)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 June 2013

My wife and I travelled with my daughter and son-in-law and 11 year old to Cambridge and other places over the past week. My son-in-law made the bookings for our trip.
We arrived in Cambridge early morning and did some sight seeing before checking in at the Holliday Inn. Check in was smooth and accomplished quickly and professionally. I enquired about WiFi and was told there was a fee of £5 an hour - £28 a day. I expressed surprise and was informed that in time this fee would be scrapped but contractural considerations prevented free HiFi at this time.
We took two rooms - both were spacious well serviced and clean. The furniture was dated and nothing flash but ample.
Our room rate included breakfast. I believe most tastes were catered for and we were ushered to our table and served by friendly staff who made sure used dishes and utensils were promptly removed.
The others used the pool and were happy with it - changing room excepted.
The location of this Holiday Inn was seven k's out of the city which was no problem for us as we were using a private car. It would however I think be a major problem for a traveller reliant on public transport.
I want to return to the WiFi issue. In my view, these days wifi is a significant factor in choosing a hotel/motel and not just for business users. £5 for an hour is nothing short of a rip off and I'm not convinced by assertions of contractural requirements which I view as a convenient excuse. The Premier Inn has a far superior plan of free wifi for 30 minutes each day and I will not by using Holiday Inn for future stays given their policy. But for the wifi issue I would have given an overall score of 4 stars as it is we marked it down to three at best - for me I would have scored it 2.5 given the room cost and their attitude to wifi.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms can be a long distance from amenities and up stairs (no lift). If there are mobili...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay other than the fact of our Wifi charges. As of 1st July 2013 our Wifi will be offered Free of charge to all our Priority Club Platinum and Gold members, with other offers following on.
I hope you would consider the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the future.

Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I stayed here for a business meeting. It has a great location, with ease of access to the A14, but far enough away that you don't hear the traffic noise. My room was quiet. The staff are very friendly and helpful. They really do offer service with a smile. The room was immaculately clean, really spacious with a comfy sofa and desk to work on and well appointed. The food was excellent at breakfast - fresh fruit in the fruit salad, freshly cooked eggs, tasty bacon and a wide variety of bread/toast/croissants etc. When I asked for hot milk with my coffee, it arrived promptly, steaming and frothy in a large jug. They offered plenty of refills too. The conference facilities were excellent as well. I had to put my preconceived notions about what a Holiday Inn was, in the bin. Fantastic value for money. I'd definitely stay here again if the opportunity arose.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Julie O, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 30 May 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great review and I am very pleased that your whole stay experience was great. It is what we strive to acheive and gives great job satisfaction to my team.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the future.

kind regards
Bedlington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Went here with the partner to visit my brother who lives in Cambridge. We booked early and got a *really* good price of around £60 for a room for one night.

We didn't use the spa/swimming pool or even the restaurant - we ate out in Cambridge itself, but I was still hugely impressed with this hotel.

Firstly - it's massive. It actually reminded me of the Overlook Hotel off 'The Shining' from the outside - all pine wood sidings on the buildings, nice and spread out within it's own grounds. This hotel is just outside the city with excellent travel links, but is far enough away from the motorway to still be quiet. It's pretty much a perfect location and looks great tbh.

The recpetion is big and welcoming, the bar wasn't too expensive, the room we stayed in was big, and the bed had a choice of softer or harder pillows, (nice touch) and was very comfy. Nicely fitted bathroom, and everything was spotlessly clean. And the TV worked lol! So often you stay in a hotel and it's a nightmare to figure out the TV, or it has rubbish reception etc etc but here it just worked :)

I picked up a complementary newspaper from reception which was useful whilst the missus was getting ready ;) and also on the recpetion desk they have land line which dials directly to the local cab firm which only charged £10 to get into Cambridge - which we thought was really reasonable.

Overall just massively impressed. When I think of Holiday Inn I lump them with Premier Inn/Days inn/Travelodge/Ibis etc etc.....but certainly this Cambridge branch feels like so much more :)

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank p4tiny
Julie O, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 23 May 2013
Dear Guest

I was delighted to read your review and thank you for your recommendation. All of our reviews are shared with the team and they will be delighted to receive your comments. These will make a great impact upon their job satisfaction. I hope it will not be too long until we can welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Cambrigde and continue to deliver such high standards.

Canterbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 May 2013

Beware the hidden extras here - especially the internet. We were here of two days of meetings, booked by company for Dinner Bed and Breakfast. First niggle was dinner - on pre-booked menu the choice is massively restricted. Most dishes carry a supplement, even certain desserts. If you want a piece of cheesecake priced on menu at £5.25 that's included, but not lemon tart - also priced at £5.25. (?)

Then the internet - only one person gets to log on to free WiFi in the meeting room. Everyone else pays £16 - or else you all huddle around one screen. Internet charges for overnight guests the same.

Colleagues who stayed in Cambridge itself paid a bit more for their rooms but had free or cheaper WiFi and choice of brilliant restaurants. Outside of Cambridge, near here, the Premier Inn is much better value for money. If you do get stuck here, I am told there are a couple of pubs nearby for better food - and free WiFi, sorry I don't have the names.

I know in a recession hotels have to watch their pricing but this hotel is sending out a clear message that they couldn't less about the quality of your stay, they just want to add loads to your bill.

1 Thank jemmah283
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to respond to us with your comments. I am very sorry to hear that you experienced limited choice of food for dinner during your stay we try to offer a selection to large groups, with regard to wifi charges as of 1st July all Priority Club Platinum and Gold members will receive this Free with further offers to follow.
I hope you may consider Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the future

Tamworth UK
Reviewed 17 May 2013

Visited the hotel over 2 days to set up and attend a trade show. Also to give a presentation in a break out room. The conference suite is typical of the modern hotel conference suites. I think we were using all of it. It is clean, propose designed and (as regards a trade show) lots of power sockets where needed. The food was also good. However what moves this from the ordinary to the special is the staff. In particular the organiser Laura. Nothing was too much trouble and what ever it was promptly arrived, was re-arranged, moved or removed. It is this sort of support that removes a lot of the stress when working at these sort of events. I can recommend the conference/event team as much as the facilities themselves.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Julie O, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 21 May 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great feedback and I am very pleased that you were well looked after during your Trade Show event, I have passed this feedback to the team and Laura which will go a great way to improving their job satisfaction.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge in the future again.

kind regards
Carlisle
Reviewed 15 May 2013

Spent two nights recently,staff all very helpful and friendly and a very pleasent room overlooking fields and reasonably modern and everything worked well. Handy for the city,we used local bus service.
A peaceful location surrounded by fields with plenty of parking,breakfast was good.
Only downside no Wifi other than at a high rate so did not use.
Will certainly use again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near reception as it can be a long walk.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
Julie O, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this review, 17 May 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and I am very pleased that the staff were helpful and friendly and you had a good breakfast. We are offering, as of 1st July 2013, Free internet to our Priority Club Platinum and Gold card holders and further offers will follow.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge in the future.