“Three and a half stars...”

Holiday Inn Cambridge
Ranked #11 of 36 Hotels in Cambridge
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I stayed in this hotel for a month, weekdays only, and have a fairly mixed review.

The first thing that I didn't like (understand), I have stayed in lots of hotels because of my job, and understand that a print of your payment card is taken when checking in, I have NEVER had not only the amount of the bill but £150 extra pre authorised (frozen) in my bank account before. This caused several problems as my employer was not sending me the funds for the bill until the end of week! I solved this on the subsequent weeks by paying the bill on the evening I checked in. This may help others in my situation.

My second grumble was the astronomical price of the internet. £20 for two days access!

I only had time in the evenings to eat in the bar, but the food here was fantastic if over priced. London prices I would say £12.50 for a double Southern Comfort and coke!!!

I stayed in three different rooms over the course of the month. All were very comfortable, with a comfy bed, a fridge, and a huge TV. One of the bathrooms had a shower that I had to duck to wash my hair but the bathrooms were clean and the towels huge and fluffy.

It can very be noisy at times if you are on the ground floor, the noise from upstairs is very disturbing and in the last room I stayed in you could hear everything that happened in the bathroom next door which was very unpleasant!

Staff were helpful and friendly even when busy, which was often as the hotel seemed on the whole pretty under staffed. One person on reception on a Saturday morning in August is not a good idea. The poor girl was snowed under.

In summary, I would not stay in this hotel again if I was picking up the bill myself, however with the company picking up the bill, it would be a definite yes.

Room Tip: First floor rooms would be quieter I think, the further you are from reception obviously the quieter...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Julie O, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for your detailed review, guest feedback is a vital part of our business and your comments will be used in a constructive manner. I was pleased to read that you found the staff helpful and friendly.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge again in the future.

There are newer reviews for Holiday Inn Cambridge

Reviewed 1 September 2013

My wife and I spent one night in this hotel. I am a gold member of the IHG loyalty programme. We celebrated my wife's birthday in Cambridge, UK, so I've booked the top room in this hotel - Deluxe.

There were many disappointments that surfaced in such a short period of time.
1) Breakfast not included - allegedly due to me booking the stay via the points. This is really strange. Any other loyalty programme gives gold members breakfast automatically.
2) There was absolutely nothing deluxe about our room - even the bed size was double (I've paid extra points to get deluxe and expected king size, so this was again disappointing)
3) Service really poor - the iron in the room was working on and off. The reception promised to bring one that worked properly. No one ever came! Fortunately I was able to finish the ironing with the semi-broken one in the meantime
4) We found a big bug marching across our carpet. I appreciate insect might be hard to control, but again - not a great sight.

Overall, I'm very disappointed with this hotel. When I called the reception regarding the bed size and the room not really being deluxe as promised over the reservation site, the lady effectively only blurted something like "I know the beds are small, but this is what they are in this hotel. Anything else I can help you with?" She hung up the phone right after that. Sounds like I'm not the only one having troubles with this.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Julie O, Public Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Cambridge, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review and the comments will be used in a constructive manner. I would be very grateful if you could contact me at the hotel to discuss the issues during your stay.
I hope to welcome you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge in the future.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

This is my first stay in a Holiday Inn for a long time.
What a change. The food in the restaurant was excellent not the old buffet style anymore.
The staff throughout the hotel were very pleasant and attentive.
My executive room was clean, well laid out and quiet. Choice of soft or firm pillow, nice touch!
A decent shower would have been appreciated and not a shower over the bath with curtain.
Maybe its me but I prefer a modern shower with no bath in the room.
Bar area pleasant but large gin and tonic on the pricey side.
Breakfast not included in executive room rate. On checking at reception was offered a discount voucher; just wonder if I would have been charged the full rate if I had gone straight to the restaurant?
Will definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Executive rooms are a long walk from reception but very quiet
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and renewed loyalty to Holiday Inn. I am pleased you found the staff to be pleasant and attentive. We do offer a selection of rates pre paid and flexible some inclusive of breakfast.
I look forward to welcoming you back to the Holiday Inn Cambridge in the future.

Reviewed 29 August 2013

We stayed here as part of our honeymoon. The hotel was big and I was attracted to this one because of its spa and pool. The rooms are quite spacious, but not soundproofed; we heard the couple next door banging and guessed they heard us do that too. This review goes back to December 2010.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review, and I hope you enjoyed your stay back in 2010. I apologise for your noisy neighbours.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Despite being very busy with a wedding, the service in the bar & hotel was excellent. We did have thoughts that we had timed things badly when we saw the horse & carriage outside when we arrived, but it had no negative impact at all.

The leisure facilities were first class & the room service (used for food) was very good value.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest
Thank you for you review and feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and the Wedding didn't interfere with it.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

My son recently got married at this hotel. We all had nice spacious, modern, clean rooms.
The staff were very welcoming, friendly and helpful.
The breakfast was good, the service was very good. We had an evening meal here which was a buffet style. The choice was a bit limited and it was a bit pricey at around £17. But, saying that, it was tasty and the restaurant is modern with nice decor and clean.
The drinks at the bar are VERY expensive, so bare this in mind.
All in all i would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and recommendations, and I am pleased you found the staff welcoming and friendly.

Reviewed 26 August 2013

We stayed in the hotel overnight along with my invalid mother in a family room on the ground floor.
Staff were welcoming and we were able to book in early, leaving our baggage before making the most of the day.
The room and facilities were everything that we were expected. The rooms were spotless and well maintained
Buffet breakfast was ample with a good variety on offer. The staff were attentive and responded quickly to special requests.
The room was spotless and well maintained.
The location is ideal right next to the Histon turnoff on the A14 and just 4 miles from Cambridge
There was ample parking on site and frequent buses into Cambridge city centre.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family

Dear Guest
Thank you for your review and I am pleased that you were all well looked after during your stay with us.